Sign in to follow this  
Harro2

Harros' Recommended Build. Critique welcome!

each to their own I guess, the screen is what you interface with though, without a good screen your computer becomes a mighty fine paper weight.

how so though, the only thing that stands out in your build is the monitor and that alone can buy you a whole system plus driving games in that res will only hurt performance even more wouldn't you say?

Everything in life is realative, you get what you pay for in this circumstance ;)

yeah but you still haven't explained what makes a monitor such as the dell so significant in this circumstance to justify purchasing it, i can understand why some people would fork out that much e.g graphic designers but for the average gamer i don't think many would notice the difference. if i were to choose a decent gaming monitor it be the SAMSUNG 2233RZ 22” 3D 120hz LCD, though it would be nice if there was a 30" led version but we probably won't see something like that for a while.

update: oh wait looky here http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audi...b=specification

Edited by d-code

The fact you would waste money on a 3d monitor makes me understand why you think the U2711 is a waste of money.

But each to their own, I don't see why my suggestion is getting nit picked though there is a price point where spending more past it will yield results that are not noticeable though, usually around the $1500 mark.

The fact you would waste money on a 3d monitor makes me understand why you think the U2711 is a waste of money.

But each to their own, I don't see why my suggestion is getting nit picked though there is a price point where spending more past it will yield results that are not noticeable though, usually around the $1500 mark.

only reason for the 3d monitor was to compliment the gtx 480 you chose and if it seems like i'm nit picking then my apologies though you still haven't answered the question =P.

I'm not going to argue my point further if you don't think the U2711 is a good monitor just go and read a review on it, don't forget good monitors last consecutive builds.

I'm not going to argue my point further if you don't think the U2711 is a good monitor just go and read a review on it, don't forget good monitors last consecutive builds.

I have a Dell 2709 and its fucking epic Dell 2711 would be awesome.

I suggested the U2711 for the next Kitlog's 'Ultimate PC' based on the 2408's laggyness and poor image quality compared with the U2711 - the creators seemed to be quite positive about looking into it, so fingers crossed. Like nes I read Anandtech religiously and base my opinion on their glowing review. @ d-code It's well worth a look at the same review we have been.

Edited by philo-sofa

i'm not dissing the u2711 in fact i give it a thumbs up although i think your missing my point, you still haven't addressed the reason for this comment "without a good screen your computer becomes a mighty fine paper weight."

I have updated the original post with my new build.

Barebones

CPU: $245 i5-750 (Austins)

MoBo:$149 Gigabyte P55A-UD3R (Austins)

RAM: $145 4GB Kit DDR3 1600 G.Skill-Ripjaws (MSY)

GFX: $342 Gigabyte HD5850 1GB (MSY)

HHD: $ 55 500GB Western Digital Sata Internal (MSY)

DVD: $ 26 Liteon SATA DVDRW (MSY)

PSU: $115 Seasonic M12-II 80plus Bronze 520 (MSY)

CASE:$129 Xigmatik UTGard Tower Case- Mesh Panel (PCCG)

Sub-Total:$1317

ADD ons

HsinkF:$ 39 Xigmatik HDT-S1283 Red Scorpion Edition (PCCG)

LCD: $208 23" Asus VH232T-HD-SPK (MSY)

SSD: $229 64GB G.Skill Falcon II (MSY)

SPK: $ 88 Hyundai Z-Gamer21 Z Series Ultimate (MSY)

KeyBrd:$ 49 Miscorsoft Sidewinder X4 (MSY)

Mouse: $ 29 Microsoft IntelliMouse Explore 3.0 (Austins)

Surge: $ 39 Belkin F9H400au2M 4-way Serge Protector (Austins)

SUb-Total:$681

Total:$1998

i'm not dissing the u2711 in fact i give it a thumbs up although i think your missing my point, you still haven't addressed the reason for this comment "without a good screen your computer becomes a mighty fine paper weight."

Have you ever owned a good screen? like a IPS or SPVA panel based screen? or just TN?

Have you ever owned a good screen? like a IPS or SPVA panel based screen? or just TN?

I went from a TN to a IPS. Would not like to go back to the TN. The quality is amazing.

Edited by 2SHY

have you? and whats your point? i am really inclined to know how having a ips or spva benefits the average gamer.

have you? and whats your point? i am really inclined to know how having a ips or spva benefits the average gamer.

Yes I have owned an SPVA panel, best thing ever compared to shitty TN and I plan on getting an IPS based one at tax time.

You are the only person I have ever seen who disputes the value of a good screen and I am getting tired of repeating myself, if you want to lose screen real estate cause you can only play at 1080P thats fine go ahead and enjoy less.

Yes I have owned an SPVA panel, best thing ever compared to shitty TN and I plan on getting an IPS based one at tax time.

You are the only person I have ever seen who disputes the value of a good screen and I am getting tired of repeating myself, if you want to lose screen real estate cause you can only play at 1080P thats fine go ahead and enjoy less.

dude i may as well be talking to a brick wall cos obviously you don't want to answer a simple question and everything i say seems to fall on deaf ears, so let me point out a few things. first of all this is a thread about a "gaming rig" secondly even though i don't have an ips i have had experience with them and think they are top notch in terms of picture quality however why would you want one for gaming?? will the pwetty liddle colors help me achieve more kills? better yet will the large resolution make my games run any faster? oh by the way did i mention that games or apps need to be coded to take advantage of deep color on those screens? Edited by d-code

How can you tell what kind of panel you have?

Go to this website http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

My Dell 3008WFP has a 30"WS LG.Philips S-IPS (LM300WQ5)

That settles it. I have a TN panel. Not that it makes any diff to me. I think my screen is nice in terms of picture quality.

dude i may as well be talking to a brick wall cos obviously you don't want to answer a simple question and everything i say seems to fall on deaf ears, so let me point out a few things. first of all this is a thread about a "gaming rig" secondly even though i don't have an ips i have had experience with them and think they are top notch in terms of picture quality however why would you want one for gaming?? will the pwetty liddle colors help me achieve more kills? better yet will the large resolution make my games run any faster? oh by the way did i mention that games or apps need to be coded to take advantage of deep color on those screens?

It seems from your post that you understand quite well that it's nesquicks opinion that it's worth sacrificing the best in budget hardware performance for beautiful picture quality.

So all this ranting and raving isn't of any benefit. Better just leave it be mate.

yeah well if this thread was just another general build thread i would have thought differently but as the op did mention it's a gaming rig and from nesquiks comment i.e "without a good screen your computer becomes a mighty fine paper weight." i thought he was implying that a good screen comes first nah ah not in my books it doesn't. but each to their own i guess.

Edited by d-code

yeah well if this thread was just another general build thread i would have thought differently but as the op did mention it's a gaming rig and from nesquiks comment i.e "without a good screen your computer becomes a mighty fine paper weight." i thought he was implying that a good screen comes first nah ah not in my books it doesn't.

People have different opinions... just accept that. It makes life interesting. Like my mum said once; "Imagine if everything tasted like carrots.". Very fitting in this case.

yeah well if this thread was just another general build thread i would have thought differently but as the op did mention it's a gaming rig and from nesquiks comment i.e "without a good screen your computer becomes a mighty fine paper weight." i thought he was implying that a good screen comes first nah ah not in my books it doesn't. but each to their own i guess.

Its opinion, thats it, took you a while to understand it though.

Why bother bitching over all the nice panels out there etc? It could be worse... we could still be gaming on CRT's...

Why bother bitching over all the nice panels out there etc? It could be worse... we could still be gaming on CRT's...

bitching would be "all the good panels cost to much"