Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DEVERE

15 years jail or pay $720 to charity?

unbelieveable

FORMER AFL star Wayne Carey will avoid a US jail term by donating $US500 (AUD$720) to a Miami police charity and undergoing anger management classes.

In a lenient deal for the troubled former player, Carey will not have to admit guilt for an incident Florida authorities claimed left two officers with facial injuries after a brawl in Miami's Mandarin Oriental Hotel a year ago.

The Miami Herald newspaper reported that Carey would plead "no contest" to two felony counts of battery on a police officer when he faces Miami-Dade County Court tomorrow.

Carey was facing up to 15 years in a US prison.

The deal was hatched between Carey's high-priced Miami lawyer Richard Sharpstein and US prosecutors and is expected to be approved by Judge Rosa Rodriguez tomorrow.

Carey, 37, will agree to two years of probation and will attend anger management classes.

The donation will go to the Dade County Police Benevolent Association Love Fund, a charity for police officers in need.

The fund helps pay for funerals of officers killed in the line of duty and assists with psychological counselling for officers and their families for work-related stress.

The incident occurred on October 27 last year when Carey and his girlfriend Kate Neilson were vacationing at Miami's $US400-plus ($575) a night luxury Mandarin Hotel.

Police said they were called to the hotel after Carey smashed a wine glass in Neilson's face while dining at the hotel's Azul restaurant.

Sharpstein told the Miami Herald it was "a lovers' quarrel that elevated into an unfortunate confrontation".

Police said that when they went to Carey's suite a brawl erupted, and the powerfully built former Kangaroos captain kicked one Miami police officer in the lip and elbowed another in the face.

Judge Rodriguez, known worldwide for presiding over the custody and immigration battle involving Cuban boy Elian Gonzalez in 2000, has the power to reject any plea deal, but is likely to approve it.

The case is scheduled to begin at 1.30am (AEDT) tomorrow.

Neilson is expected to accompany Carey to court.

Carey was originally charged with assaulting Neilson, but she decided against pressing charges.

In a letter to US prosecutors explaining her decision, Neilson said they had "a lot to drink" on the night of the incident and she "was as much at fault for this incident as Wayne".

Hmm... so you beat up a couple of police, glass your girlfriend in the face, generally act like a royal cock face and by emptying your pocket of your spare change you can get out of a 15 year jail term??? FFS! How did I know this would happen and he would come out smelling like roses? Charitable my arse!

Thoughts?

I love the US system.

"Donating".

Lulz.

*EDIT* And I am so getting into a fight with the fuzz next time I'm in Vegas. Easily $US500 worth of value in the stories.

Wank Airey must have one muthafucker of a guardian angel.

He's just made a mockery of the US legal system.

If he was to try on the same thing, here or over there, I think they'd put the prick away for a good while.

Sadly, I knew the jackoff was going to get away with it.

Sad that she seemed to feel that she was 'at as much fault as him'. For a glassing to be justified, she'd have had to be trying to murder him or something.

Sad. I hope he at least learns something from this and doesn't assault anybody else.

I see $500 and some counselling as being a bit too lenient but anyone who expected him to get anywhere near 15 years in jail for it is kidding themselves.

Half their case is gone now anyway with her letter to the prosecutors.

The USA is a mockery of a nation for the most part....

Who cares?? It's not like he went on a crazy killing rampage with a machine gun...

Many women are abused by their husbands in this country and little is done there...

Now you complain about a couple's quarrel? If there really was a problem she would have disowned Carey by now...

People are so quick to judge...

Who cares?? It's not like he went on a crazy killing rampage with a machine gun...

Many women are abused by their husbands in this country and little is done there...

Now you complain about a couple's quarrel? If there really was a problem she would have disowned Carey by now...

Dude. Just... dude.

FTR, I think domestic abuse between anybody regardless of gender, age, status or wealth is an atrocity.

Now before you start having a go at me about complaining about couples quarrelling...let me tell you this. I know first hand about the spousal abuse in this country.. I myself was a victim of it, and the cops did fuck all to help me... society basically tells you to HTFU and keep your mouth shut, or you will cop another beating. There was a serious problem in my first marriage, Hyperhorse, I suffered rape, many beatings, knives and shotguns to my head, I had my head shoved through walls, leg broken, thrown down a flight of stairs, almost miscarried my third child when he decided to kick me many times for not going to bed at the same time as him...but when I tried to tell people about it they didn't want to fucking know.. what was I supposed to do? I had no support network, just a husband who would beat the living shit out of me when he found out I had told someone what he had done to me... so I shut my mouth and put up with the daily beatings while he was screwing every bimbo he laid his eyes upon and abused drugs.. putting me and his children at risk of STD's.

Serious threats.. death threats work.. especially when those death threats involve your kids.

I am quick to judge this wanker for what he is.... a lying cheating abuser! Someone who thinks he can get what he wants because of who he is. One of my close friends was in a bar in Melbourne when she was working her way around the country and almost came to blows with Wayne fucking Carey when she refused to accept a drink he had bought for her. He thought he could get into her pants because he was famous.. he's an arrogant fuckwit who certainly deserves his just desserts.

OMG I wasn't condoning anything all I was saying was it seems events are painted in a very one way fashion...

You all blindly believe the media without question.. In no way do i approve of domestic violence but I hate running to conclusions without knowing the full story... Sometimes things aren't as they seem.. Perhaps she threw a glass ashtray at him... Domestic violence happens from all angles...

Devere, thanks for the shocking summary of your life. I hope whoever he is, is in a jail similiar as depicted in the B grade Van Damme film, "In Hell".

but I hate running to conclusions without knowing the full story... Sometimes things aren't as they seem.. Perhaps she threw a glass ashtray at him... Domestic violence happens from all angles...

I wouldn't care what she might of done to him.

Glassing somebody regardless of what they did (unless you are fighting for your life) is totally inexcusable

It is the lowest cuntest act there is,

I think that of stomping ppl in the head when they are on the ground.

Absolute bullshit, glasses and stompers deserve a long time in goal being bubbas bitch

but I hate running to conclusions without knowing the full story... Sometimes things aren't as they seem.. Perhaps she threw a glass ashtray at him... Domestic violence happens from all angles...

I wouldn't care what she might of done to him.

Glassing somebody regardless of what they did (unless you are fighting for your life) is totally inexcusable

It is the lowest cuntest act there is,

I think that of stomping ppl in the head when they are on the ground.

Absolute bullshit, glasses and stompers deserve a long time in goal being bubbas bitch

I still wonder what she was doing out of the kitchen in the first place..

j/k

Devere, thanks for the shocking summary of your life. I hope whoever he is, is in a jail similiar as depicted in the B grade Van Damme film, "In Hell".

He's dead. He suicided after I left him and the truth came out.

OMG I wasn't condoning anything all I was saying was it seems events are painted in a very one way fashion...

You all blindly believe the media without question.. In no way do i approve of domestic violence but I hate running to conclusions without knowing the full story... Sometimes things aren't as they seem.. Perhaps she threw a glass ashtray at him... Domestic violence happens from all angles...

Everyone who watches the media reports is a expert on the case actually /end sarcasm.

The payment probably fit the crime. I have faith in the legal institutions and how they operate, if people are assuming the system isn't working take it up with them.

From a general case of glassing 15 years sounds a bit bloody extreme to me. Of course because the victim was a female everyone will jump on the lynching band wagon, but as I said let the courts do their job. If you have a valid accusation to why the courts are wrong bring it up.

I'd rather all other possible avenues are exercised before gaol is, it really isn't the be all and end all.

From a general case of glassing 15 years sounds a bit bloody extreme to me. Of course because the victim was a female everyone will jump on the lynching band wagon, but as I said let the courts do their job. If you have a valid accusation to why the courts are wrong bring it up.

No glassing anyone any sex should have a huge sentence.

Coward cunt act, smashing a glass in someones face, very good chance of blinding and ugly facial scars.

I think this with any cowardly dog assault action and they all should be 10 -20 years.

Might make you think twice about doing it!

I'd rather all other possible avenues are exercised before gaol is, it really isn't the be all and end all.

ppl that do these sort of attacks any other for of rehab is a waste

The thing is, as has been mentioned, glassing is a horrible way to attack somebody. It can maim. It can blind. If you really fuck it up, it can kill. Wayne Carey would have to be retarded not to have known this.

I just haven't got sympathy for him. And I'm gonna be honest, I'd bet a fair bit that the girls asking for these cases to be dropped probably did so because they were coerced/threatened.

Oh and 100 lashes for speeding perhaps?

You people do remember the film "Lord of The Flies" ???

don't be a troll

No glassing anyone any sex should have a huge sentence.

Coward cunt act, smashing a glass in someones face, very good chance of blinding and ugly facial scars.

I think this with any cowardly dog assault action and they all should be 10 -20 years.

Might make you think twice about doing it!

ppl that do these sort of attacks any other for of rehab is a waste

I wish it was that simple, but the matter is nobody in here knows the full story or situation.

Anger management and rehab should be taken. Creating more prisoners doesn't solve anything and should be a last resort for a individual, you're basing your judgment off emotion and hatred for the person that committed the crime, not what will benefit society and produce a adjusted individual back into the real world.

Sure he did a prick of a thing, but he deserves a trial and sentence based on balanced judgment and facts, not raw emotion and knee jerk reactions.

It's easy to get angry at someone you've never met before for a situation you were never involved in.

I wish it was that simple, but the matter is nobody in here knows the full story or situation.

Anger management and rehab should be taken. Creating more prisoners doesn't solve anything and should be a last resort for a individual, you're basing your judgment off emotion and hatred for the person that committed the crime.

I'm not basing off a hatred of WC

I couldn't care less about him.

I think cowardly cunt acts like that are disgusting, regardless of who does it.

I can't think any reason in the world where I would thing glassing someone is appropriate, except of cause if it was a fight for your life.