Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Barbies1ut

Onlookers watch woman attacked and don't help

Personally i would have helped, but i think a potential reason for these people not to help, isn't becasue they don't want to. It's that they are possibly afraid of the legal repercussions.

I know it's a bit of a tanget but there's a great example of this in a becker episode "Becker takes an out-of-shape patient to a gym to work out. The man has a heart attack and sues Becker." (IMDB Becker -sue you)

By assisting they could end up in more trouble than what it's worth -sad outlook, i know, but it happens

Yea I'd have helped I think, legal repercussions and all. The trade off between a few legal repercussions and possibly saving someone's livelihood or health is hands down worth it. Some people have no honour or are selfish I don't think it's a sign of the times I think it's always been like that.

Gutless people. I guess it just "wasn't their problem". Wankers.

Really makes you wonder about the way people view their place in society these days. We aren't a "community" anymore, more a bunch of people who happen to live in the same general area. People are happy to poke their noses into other folks business and privacy, but not help them when they're begging for aid. It's disgusting. :(

Anymore?

You're aware this crap has been going on for the better part of half a decade ATLEAST probably longer, but one of the most well documented cases of the bystander effect (well afaik this actually spawned it) is the Kitty Genovese murder.

Have a read of that.

I would have helped by calling the police. Unless I could rally 45 of the tradies around me to help, I'm not going to go all Spartacus on that shit.

I only weight 58kg. I almost broke a rib once when a mate of mine who was 140kg fell on me.

That's bloody disgraceful. Just early today I was walking to my bus stop when two cars collided at a pretty fast speed.

I was the first on the scene and help the two elderly people in the severely crashed car. They were pretty shaken up.

Luckily no one was injured.

But I suppose that's just me.

I care more about the people then the consequences that could follow.

But that's just my nature. I'm a caring person.

It's a fucking big stretch to draw any parallels between what you did and the situation in the OP.

I'm not trying to take anything away from you—you did a good thing—but helping someone in a car accident and stepping in front of a 130kg psycho bloke belting his wife are not at all the same.

That's bloody disgraceful. Just early today I was walking to my bus stop when two cars collided at a pretty fast speed.

I was the first on the scene and help the two elderly people in the severely crashed car. They were pretty shaken up.

Luckily no one was injured.

But I suppose that's just me.

I care more about the people then the consequences that could follow.

But that's just my nature. I'm a caring person.

It's a fucking big stretch to draw any parallels between what you did and the situation in the OP.

I'm not trying to take anything away from you—you did a good thing—but helping someone in a car accident and stepping in front of a 130kg psycho bloke belting his wife are not at all the same.

What he said

Most people these days are pussies.

Fucking +1. This right here is why something like that could happen.

I'm only 80kg but I wouldn't give a shit if the guy was 200kg. Shit morals people have been brought up with, even here on the Atomic forums it seems. I was brought up to believe that beating up on a woman is one of the weakest, most pathetic things a man can do in his life. The least you can do is try to help. Fucking legal repercussions my arse. Grow some balls people. Plus whilst beating on the woman the guy had the decency to make sure the child had a front row seat to catch all the action.

Fucking gutless wonders. It'd sure suck if this happened to a woman you loved and the response you got from the public was SFA or a wiki link to the 'bystander effect'.

edit - typo

Edited by gabber

Most people these days are pussies.

Fucking +1. This right here is why something like that could happen.

I'm only 80kg but I wouldn't give a shit if the guy was 200kg. Shit morals people have been brought up with, even here on the Atomic forums it seems. I was brought up to believe that beating up on a woman is one of the weakest, most pathetic things a man can do in his life. The least you can do is try to help. Fucking legal repercussions my arse. Grow some balls people. Plus whilst beating on the woman the guy had the decency to make sure the child had a front row seat to catch all the action.

Fucking gutless wonders. It'd sure suck if this happened to a woman you loved and the response you got from the public was SFA or a wiki link to the 'bystander effect'.

edit - typo

What do you mean by "even here on the Atomic forums"? We are but average people, we hold no moral high ground. For the most part, the only violence we've had to deal with is that dealt out by us to a bunch of pixels on a computer screen.

Honestly, I don't think anyone here can talk. For all you know, in a situation like that you may have frozen. Seeing something like that would probably been very intimidating. None the less though,someone could have at least called the police

Do we know that no one called the police?

''I asked them to call the police and they just shrugged their shoulders at me and watched.''

However, that doesn't mean no one called the police

What do you mean by "even here on the Atomic forums"?

I've been browsing these forums since starting to buy Atomic at issue #2. Over those many years I've gathered that a reasonable amount of the posters here are intelligent, well-informed individuals. Unlike the sheeple I come across many times in day to day real life. Some of the responses from the op's post are just plain stupid, ignorant and selfish. That might be just a sign of the times and culture we live in now. But it doesn't make it any less shit IMO. Maybe if more people thought of others needs instead of their own from time to time our society might be a better place.

I'm definitely not religious but I am a firm believer of "do unto others as you would have others do unto you". And going by that, if anyone was doing something like this to my wife/daughter/mother/whomever than I would like to think that one person might have the decency to help out. Instead of standing there with a thumb up your arse because you have 'frozen'. Get real.

edit - typo

Edited by gabber

I've ended up in a cop station for things like this, twice now.

Can't stand it.

Was let out fairly quickly though.

Stop beating on your wimminz, dude!

I weight 140kgs and I have to say, I most likely would not step in, I'd ring the cops but unless I was absolutely sure I could take the guy out I wouldn't even give it two thoughts.

Bang on about gutless wonders all you want but I have had the shit kicked out of me twice in that exact situation, one of those times it was an absolute miracle that I didn't end up shivved, no joke, and that was from a guy half my size.

The ironic thing is woman in that predicament 99% of the time go straight back, just my personal experience.

You can't bang on about being a man with a knife in your neck, and that is the straight honest truth.

Ha!

Nah, for helping the womenz, except it normally ends with me hitting the guy more than needs to be done. Lucky my mates are always there to pull me off. Doesn't stop the police booking you though.

Funny thing is most of the time my mates are the ones that call the cops, except I can't just stand by, I have to wreck their shit.

I've been browsing these forums since starting to buy Atomic at issue #2. Over those many years I've gathered that a reasonable amount of the posters here are intelligent, well-informed individuals. Unlike the sheeple I come across many times in day to day real life.
That doesn't mean that we hold any moral high ground.

We are but a cross section of the wider community.

I've been browsing these forums since starting to buy Atomic at issue #2. Over those many years I've gathered that a reasonable amount of the posters here are intelligent, well-informed individuals. Unlike the sheeple I come across many times in day to day real life. Some of the responses from the op's post are just plain stupid, ignorant and selfish. That might be just a sign of the times and culture we live in now. But it doesn't make it any less shit IMO. Maybe if more people thought of others needs instead of their own from time to time our society might be a better place.

I'm definitely not religious but I am a firm believer of "do unto others as you would have others do unto you". And going by that, if anyone was doing something like this to my wife/daughter/mother/whomever than I would like to think that one person might have the decency to help out. Instead of standing there with a thumb up your arse because you have 'frozen'. Get real.

edit - typo

I'd like to think that I would help the poor woman if something like this happened in front of me. But it is unrealistic of me to say "I definitely would have stopped it" or "those guys are gutless wankers" because the simple fact is: I haven't been put in this situation.

I don't know how I would react, and as much as I would like to think that in these circumstances I'd step in and save the day, I'm still human and maybe I'd freeze up. Who knows?

You have to be so careful these days with stepping in on this kind of thing, fair enough public property but in someones home, I think someone at the start of the thread pointed it out she could try and get you on a technicality if you did step in to help and her ex who she might be still manipulated by got hurt ect ect, I don't know where I would stand on an issue like this, don't get me wrong I know the right thing to do would of been to hit the cunt over the head with a off cut piece of 2x4 but you can't just go around doing that in this present day and age, unprovoked violence against women just makes me so pissed off at the person doing it.

I can certainly understand their reluctance - his size aside. Was out clubbing one night with 2 mates, saw 2 fairly big blokes pushing around a pretty little guy and his girlfriend, about 50 people around watching them. We were walking towards them when one of them hit the little guy from behind in the head, he went down and blood was pouring out of his hair, one of them went to kick him and the other threw his girlfriend onto the road. All of a sudden one of my mates was off like a rocket, he pushed the guy who was kicking the guy on the ground off and I realized I was going to have to intervene whether I liked it or not, ran in and hit the guy who had thrown the girl onto the road and was now moving towards my mate just in front of his left ear, he was dazed and off balance so I kicked him onto the ground, just as about 30 police officers descended on us. All I did was earn myself a trip to the police station and a narrowly escaped charge for affray, good samaritans or not.

edit - typo

See, morally I agree.

In a practical sense I'd do absolutely nothing by trying to stop the guy physically but based on previous experience I'd probably try and verbally stop him. Defending those who can't defend themselves is an important moral to me, even if I can't back it up physically.

However I think ignoring human nature and demanding it be different is, well, ignorant and self centered. Do I WANT people to act on their assumed morals? Sure. I also WANT there to be a happy after life, and to be able to talk those who are already dead. Doesn't make it fucken so though.

I like to think that knowing about human nature is important in doing the right thing. If you know about the bystander effect (which doesn't impact every personality, but seems to impact most) then you've got a chance at recognising it when it's happening to you and not following suit. Same applies to things like the Milgram experiments and Stanford prison experiments. The more you know about the common weaknesses that are prevalent to the human condition, the better chance you have of not falling victim to those weaknesses.

No matter how people might thump their chest and say they wouldn't do that - they wouldn't be a soldier in the Third Reich or Pol Pot's personal army, they wouldn't hurt someone who was helpless when commanded to by an authority, or they wouldn't stand by and watch as someone else did... most of them are wrong. They would. All those bad things happen to regular people with varying backgrounds. We can be led. We are just animals. But if you know your adverse reactions you have a chance at doing something about it (that last sentence is just my opinion, the rest of the paragraph is demonstrable fact).

In a practical sense I'd do absolutely nothing by trying to stop the guy physically but based on previous experience I'd probably try and verbally stop him. Defending those who can't defend themselves is an important moral to me, even if I can't back it up physically.

Note that this is based on previous experience and probably. I don't trust me, and you shouldn't trust you.

Frankly the only people I accept "I'd never do that" comments from people is when it's happened to them several times already and they've acted independently of anyone else doing so first. People like to think the world of themselves, and either make excuses or regret it when they don't live up to their expectations.

I like to think that knowing about human nature is important in doing the right thing. If you know about the bystander effect (which doesn't impact every personality, but seems to impact most) then you've got a chance at recognising it when it's happening to you and not following suit. Same applies to things like the Milgram experiments and Stanford prison experiments. The more you know about the common weaknesses that are prevalent to the human condition, the better chance you have of not falling victim to those weaknesses.

I like this. A lot.