Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Aki54

Alpha Protocol is out.

This cannot in any way, shape or form bode well for the quality of this game. I think sega are pushing it out in europe/asia first to get a few trick sales before it gets released in the US and the negative reviews start rolling in. I'm really getting a sense this game has just been shoved out into the market to die. Anyone tried it or even seen it being played anywhere? I was really looking forward to this game but I'm super wary of it now.

I don't know Sega is notorious for not releasing review copies to publishers prior to release. Also Sega closed down their US offices a few months ago which apparently threw a spanner in the works.

Aside form this however I hope the game is good but i am not getting it until I can get some actual game play impressions.

I'm also looking for something on it... I've seen two reviews around the 8.3-8.8 mark, but not from sources I'm familiar with.

I've been playing it on and off for the last day or two. It's like a poor mans Deus EX had a baby with a slightly mentally feeble Metal Gear Solid. A very poor man. I expect it will garner a lot of 6 and 7 out of 10. Anything more than that shows the reviewer was willing to overlook some fairly critical flaws. I'll quickly list some, as I'm iphoning this reply in.

The graphics are god awful. The voice acting is rubbish, and depending on what choices you make in coversations, the voice acting is contradictory. Having just played through mass effect (and need I mention Red Dead), AP just can't cut it, and it was awfully jarring. And the AI is more of a 'AU' - Artificially Unintelligent.

Unlike some Of the UK reviews I've read, the CQC combat is rather nice, and the animations are often well done too. I've encountered one or two bugs that varied from game breaking to merely annoying.

I wasn't going to post impressions since it seemed atomic had forgotten about it in lieu of Red Dead and UFC, but I'll play some more and flesh this post out some more later.

To be fair, any game is going to suffer after Red Dead and Alan Wake, so I'd take my impressions with a grain of salt in that regard. A proper review of AP may have to wait a week or two.

Edited by elfinke

im still planning to get it, but from the videos ive seen it kind of plays like mass effect, dialogue and leveling systems were almost identical as far as i can tell...

The graphics do look a little ages and the animations look stiff if you ask me BUT I rarely care about graphics if the gameplay is solid my favourite games today are mostly older games anyway and my favourite games of all time were not in any way considered graphically brilliant even for their time. I don't like how some reviews rate graphics as one of the most important features of a game.

A game like Heavy Raid I would understand because poor animation could take you out of the story experience but that is because by design the game needed things like real facial expression and stuff like that to create the story immersion. In more traditional games however I rarely use that as any sort of metric for quality.

Reb1rth I am hoping with New Vegas thing;s like a mature engine with comprehensive tools and plenty of ideas from successful mods and the like mean that the team are advantaged in making Fallout New vegas in a way they aren't in making Alpha Protocol which is a totally new IP with what seems to be a badly harnessed use of the Unreal 3 engine.

Edited by Bundy

http://www.denofgeek.com/games/493991/alph...360_review.html

it's not that the graphics are just mediocre. I'm not a graphics whore by any stretch but they're terrible in a way that draws you out of the game. Especially unforgivable after all the aforementioned games you could be spending your $100 on.

And despite it all, I found myself enjoying the stealthy sneaking around, as long as it wasn't shitted up by AWOL textures or the silly ai.

They're not quite reviews, but these user opinions are still having a read of.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396122

Edited by elfinke

Oh glitches can be bad I was referring more to like polished bad graphics.

I don't know why I am compelled to get this game despite my reservations in a post I made a while back now and the fact that the game is flawed in a few different ways.. Maybe I will hire it if the local stores get it in.

And they're finally rolling in:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/alpha-pr...l-review?page=1

And a few German websites have given ~8/10 reviews too. It seems the reviews have been fairly lenient when discussing the technical merits of AP. Which makes for an ok, if not totally honest, change.

If true, ouch:

http://i.joystiq.com/2010/05/28/alpha-prot...ments/28270583/

otherwise, the 1up review is pretty good too.

Edited by elfinke

After watching the game trailers review I am in 2 minds about the game they are generally one of my more trusted reviewers because they talk from perspectives I would take while playing the game (usually), I can see elements I know I would like but I know the flaws would piss me off..

I don't think I will get it. Maybe if there is a bit of a drought in games later in the year and the price has dropped...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-a...protocol/100742

Edited by Bundy

I am not a fan at all, graphical glitches are annoying as fuck, and the gameplay is kind of lackluster.

The lock picking, hacking etc. is cool, but the shooting and what not is pretty damn annoying.

Yea combat being lame sucks.. I hear that you cant expect to stealth everything either.

It's interesting to see such disparate reviews roll in. While I've been convinced not to get it new, once I can grab it suitably cheap I'll probably give it a go. I can forgive some jankiness if there's an interesting experience in there, somewhere.

It's interesting to see such disparate reviews roll in. While I've been convinced not to get it new, once I can grab it suitably cheap I'll probably give it a go. I can forgive some jankiness if there's an interesting experience in there, somewhere.

Well that's the thing Gametrailers praised the story and voice acting and say that there is a real sense of altering the direction of the story. Apparently there is aprox 12 hours of cut scenes and each playthrough you will only see about 4 hours. So thats a vast amount of content..

I cant help but feel they spent too muhc time on content maybe reduce that to 8hours with less options and polish the ass out of gameplay.

playing it and loving every minute of it.

Graphics? not important. seriously. I get as immersed in Hl1 as i do in HL2 as i do in Batman AA.

Great characters, great storyline, choices. who lives or who dies. Piss of big hidden organization or make friends with them. What to do with Crime boss who lied to you?

Playing as sneaky goodie marital artist. Killed only two guys. One i had to as part of the storyline and I don't know whether you can avoid it, another one got shot with a rocket (accident: Aimed it at a tank and he just run at the line of fire trying to hide behind some obstacle). Everyone else i throat punch or beat in ol' fashioned fist fight.

also shot few guys with tranquilizer but try to avoid guns as much as possible.

Already cannot wait for second play through as I want to see what will happen if i don't execute one guy and not piss another one.