MrFriendly

So, you know how you convince yourself you don't need to spend the extra money?

So I've been training up to doing the Around the Bay in a Day in October, It's a 250km ride around Port Philip Bay.

I'm at the stage now where I'm comfortably doing 100km in 4-ish hours.

Trouble is, I've been riding on a hybrid and convincing myself I didn't need to get a proper road bike. That was until the winds you have to face on beach road changed my mind.

Well, I finally secured employment on Friday (which I was pretty stoked about) and decided I'd go out and by me a shiny new road bike after consulting a few people for advice.

So I present you my new toy!

I used to scoff at people who would spend so much on a bike, all I can say is it is worth every single penny. I just can't get over how much different a roadie makes, especially with carbon forks, I just don't feel the road nearly as much as I did on my heavy hybrid.

I reckon I'll still keep my hybrid for commuting to work as it can take a fair bit of punishment and use my roadie on the weekends. But I guess I'll see how I go.

Any how, just thought I'd share with my green glowing atomic family.

Thats not an ureasonable sum to spend on a bike and seeing how much you appear to ride I would call it a healthy investment.

I had friends drop <5 grand on bikes, and drive cars worth less than their rego. If you love it any expense is justified.

So long as it serves the purpose for which it was purchased, it's money well spent.

Now to justify getting that i7 980x..........

Have fun Mr F. !

And if that's your idea of fun then it's money well spent.

It's a decent entry level bike.

I'd working on getting my endurance up though if I were you. One of my old teachers would clock 400ks before lunchtime on a Saturday, and for the group of cyclists he knew that was amateur!

So I've been training up to doing the Around the Bay in a Day in October, It's a 250km ride around Port Philip Bay.

Why? I'm happy to drive you! :P

Actually, given the sexiness of that bike, I can see why you'd rather ride. Congratulations :)

Rob.

Nice.

I've been thinking about one of these. It's gonna require a lot of thinking.

I've been seeing a lot more of these kinds of bikes out and about.

I reckon you'd need some serious balls to take them out on the road though. I'd be too scared of not being seen.

Yeah, getting hit is a worry.

For training I live in an area with a shit load of bike paths. Like hundreds of kilometers starting from my doorstep. But taking it on road is a bit of a worry. You pretty much have to have a flag up, but even then it's gotta be harder to spot than a regular bike.

However I have no choice. My upper back is fucked, and if I ride a bike for longer than about 20 minutes it becomes excruciating.

All that money to give yourself a heart attack :P But really, good one mate what ever brings you joy :)

I suppose I've spent just under half that on a bike. The bike itself was about $500... then I've bought a rear basket, tail light (12V type) a small aluminium box to mount switches/electronics in, and sitting on my desk is a MR16 3W LED downlight which, with a suitable bracket, I hope to mount on the front as a headlight. Headlight and tail light share a 12V 9AH SLA battery with my radio.

The radio itself was a bit of a luxury expense too... I bought it about a year ago, wanted a rig that would do SSB and pump out reasonable power. I was originally planning on one of these, but decided I couldn't save up enough for one. Later on I got the latter set, so I've got a couple at my disposal. Eventually I'll have the newer set running on the bike for those longer journeys (10m/6m bicycle mobile, here I come... gimmie my DX) but for now, I'm happy on 2m while I ride around.

Another project for the bike; I have some 5x7 LED arrays which I intend to turn into a tail light/blinker arrangement... I've got some AT89C2051 micros that I'll use to implement the LED control, but essentially the idea is that in normal operation, it behaves like a regular tail light; but then at the flick of a switch, can display a rippling chevron pattern to indicate turns. I prefer this to sticking my arm out.

So while I'm not spending much on the bike itself, I'm spending plenty on accessories, both off-the-shelf and homebrew.

:( the group set on my road bike is worth more than that on its own. Don't even get me started on the price of my track wheels.

Making the switch from a hybrid to a roadie will make all the difference in getting your endurance up. Plus you will find that your average speeds will increase dramatically and therefore your time in the saddle will decrease.

Edited by shrubb face

Tantryl - hold onto your $$ mate, I haven't forgotten you - I just forgot about ya pm! Sorry!

Mr F. - Bah to upwrongs - I admit to being gay and even I don't like that seat trying to jam itself up me arse :P 'Bents are the only way to go :)

But enjoy your shiny new toy, just don't forget the lube :)

Velly nice, velly nice indeed.

It's so worth spending the money on a bike, you really do appreciate it in the long-run.

Currently I'm lusting for a Felt Z4, especially as a friend of the family has one and he says it's the best road bike he's had so far. I'll happily take the advice of someone who's done more klicks of cycling than I have of driving :)

Otherwise, I'm still madly in love with my Giant XTC 2 MTB. Can't wait to get home from Sydney and chuck on the pair of clip-in pedals I picked up over here :D

Oi Shrubb, what're you running? Sounds well sexy!

That's hardly an entry level bike... Sweet ride there mate!

Ultegra is nothing to scoff at..

Bug - We'll go for a ride in a weeks time then, ok? :P

That's hardly an entry level bike... Sweet ride there mate!

Ultegra is nothing to scoff at..

Haha, I have a mate down here who is a hardcore cyclist, he just left me with "It doesn't matter what you buy, just make sure it's got an Ultegra group set and carbon forks."

When I showed him what bike I got he couldn't believe how cheap it was.

I don't know anything about roadies, what I do know is after riding this bike is the difference in efficiency between it and my old hybrid were miles apart. As I said, the first thing I noticed was not feeling the road as much, it's just so much smoother while at the same time being very responsive to what you want it to do.

The big thing, the whole reason I wanted to go the roadie option was just the way my body sits on the bike and wind resistance. I just got tired of getting 3/4 into a 100km ride and the wind totally zapping it out of me because the bike has me so upright. I'm really looking forward to next weekend when I have it properly setup and just seeing how much quicker and more comfortably I can do the 100km on this bike compared to the old hybrid.

I'm happy to say that I was really quite wrong about roadies and the money they cost. They really are worth every penny if you want to get the most out of your weekend ride.

Wow, you must be a pretty awesome bike rider!!

I've only usually settled down with like $300 toys every so often.

Congratz Mr Friendly, I hope you enjoy riding with it. :D

Bloody well better! :D

I don't know anything about roadies, what I do know is after riding this bike is the difference in efficiency between it and my old hybrid were miles apart. As I said, the first thing I noticed was not feeling the road as much, it's just so much smoother while at the same time being very responsive to what you want it to do.

I reckon. When one of the reps at my work brought in his roadie, something with an 8k+ tag on it, just a brief toddle around the warehouse in steelcaps still let me feel that it wanted to go fast.

Bikes like that don't want to go fast.

They have no choice. Two speeds. Stop and go! There is no other option!