Sign in to follow this  
MandoTiM

Wide Gamut Monitors

In the market for a new monitor. Interested in getting something that will enable me to see pretty much what I'm going to print if not exactly what I'm going to print.

To date haven't been wildly happy with the end product of what I have (see next para) despite having most of the software/equipment (bar screen) necessary. In keeping with my HiFi experience I've tended to get the best available for the price point I'm happy with starting with the start and end points and the screens have tended to be the only thing I haven't really updated from the period when the PC was just a spreadsheet and word processing tool for work. I'm now focussing more on photo editing and audio work although not strictly professional and the last item I need to upgrade is the screen.

Currently using a very old Mitsubishi Diamond View (DV171) which works very well together with an LG L1750SQ which I bought when I needed a stop gap when the DV171 went on the blink some 3-4 years ago. I've kept these screens for years now having replaced an old clunky Eizo CRT which was excellent. I'm starting to get tempted bythe Eizos again particularly the Coloredge series but interested to know of experience others here have had with NEC or HP equivalents. In terms of software I'm using P/S CS4 and will upgrade, probably to CS5 Extended (for the 3d ability), have a Colormunki Photo for colour management and the video card I'm using with the 2 screens is a Gigabyte Geforce 9600GT with silentpipe cooling (for quietness in audio editing) if that's important. I'll probably keep one of the 2 screens as a second screen for the time being much as I'd like to have 2 wide Gamut displays :-).

Would be interested to hear of any experience with screens, suggestions etc...

Ok, I understand why it was moved but the thread has more relevance to the photography forum than the Display forum. I'm more interested in finding out from photographers and photo editors what their experience was, hence putting it in the photography forum in the first place.

You'd have more luck reporting the thread than posting in it.

Thanks for suggesting, done so. Another button/option I haven't come across.

Something by Eizo or Lacie is pretty much top of the line if you want colour fidelity, but it'll set you back a pretty penny. If you want something a bit more affordable, you can sacrifice a bit of that accuracy and try something like the Dell Ultrasharp U2410. I've got the precursor of that, the 2409, and it's very nice.

I've heard some of the NEC monitors are very good too, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Probably want an IPS panel monitor for photo stuff.

As such the Dell u2410 is supposed to be good as oj said, or if you can bear the godawful design with it's dickwad stand, the new AOC IF23 could be worth a look.

http://www.aocmonitor-anz.com/lcd_monitor/if23.php

You really need to check out in store displays with test files if you want to use them for photo editing.

Might also be worth having a look at the new cPVA monitors from Samsung if you want to spend stupid amounts of money.

MD230X3 or MD230X6

http://www.samsung.com/at/consumer/compute...mp;tab=features

http://www.samsung.com/at/consumer/compute...mp;tab=features

Sorry can't seem to find them on the AU Samsung site, although they should be available here soonish.

Something by Eizo or Lacie is pretty much top of the line if you want colour fidelity, but it'll set you back a pretty penny. If you want something a bit more affordable, you can sacrifice a bit of that accuracy and try something like the Dell Ultrasharp U2410. I've got the precursor of that, the 2409, and it's very nice.

I've heard some of the NEC monitors are very good too, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

seem to be mixed reports on the Dell as far as colour fidelity is concerned. Partly why I'm interested in peoples views as I'd prefer to listen to someone who uses screens for the same purpose than a 'technical' review which is often not aimed at a particular audience. Infomercials in magazines are usually just that. Might go and try to find the Dell initially, I have seen an NEC Colorsync and it looked pretty good but would like to see the Eizos, just a little difficult to find, even in Sydney. I am aware of the price differential.