robzy

$150 stereo speakers

So I'm looking for a pair of stereo speakers ~$150.

Something to replace the god-awful ones inside our Sony LCD. Only for light duties, mostly for Foxtel.

Dad went out and got a pair of $75 ones from Jaycar... they're horrible too :P

Outside we have a couple of $150 outdoor speakers from JB Hi-Fi mounted in the roofy-veranda thing, which sound surprisingly good. And this is around about the sound quality I'm looking for.

Would anyone have any suggestions? Would prefer new, but would also accept second hand suggestions.

Thanks,

Rob.

Oh, my bad, I forgot to mention I'm just after bookshelf speakers. There's already an amp there.

Although, that does bring up something worth mentioning :P The current amp is a stereo amp, and doesn't have a remote control.

So another alternative would be to spend ~$300 mark (I think it was) for speakers + an amp with remote control.

Rob.

The first pair are awesome, but have to be excluded (unfortunately) due to aesthetics. If it were me though, I'd snatch those up, especially with a turntable. I've heard of Sansui before, they're pretty well rated, aren't they?

As for the second one, there's a bit of leeway, but not enough for those Tannoys.

But you've kinda confirmed what I was suspecting, trawl ebay for a week or two and Google the speakers that come up in my price range :P

Thanks,

Rob.

Sansui are very nice, though the best were mostly from before the 80's.

I do find the Omni speakers interesting even though they would not be something I would use.

That's all I have to add :P

Maybe these DALI bookshelves, though they are above budget http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DALI-CONCEPT-1-BOOK...=item23076aa01a

There are these too, RRP for the Yamaha's is $199 so even with the stands they should be picked up for not too much http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Yamaha-NS-333-Speak...=item414ff35f34

Personally I like the look of these Polk speakers for TV duties, but it depends on how high they go, and be aware that they are 89db/4ohm so while not the most difficult load you may want to make sure the amp is OK with a 4ohm load http://cgi.ebay.com.au/POLK-TSI200BLACK-BO...=item2c54cdc9fe

Edited by datafast69

It's rather annoying how quickly eBay links die... :P

Looking for something <$100 for my room. Not even sure if I could find something for that price, though.

Rob.

Nich, one of the wires is borked >.<

And that looks like a dang'd good price Logic, congrats.

Rob.

Regarding the Sansui kit... I once remember repairing an old Sansui tape deck. 1970's vintage.

Fault was the belt had perished. The whole mechanism (head positioning, gear selection... the works) was run by the one motor attached to a flywheel. At first when I was looking at it, it didn't make sense why the buttons didn't appear to work... but then when I played with the mechanism a bit, I soon realised that this belt did more than turn the capstans around. One trip to the shops to buy a packet of VCR belts, 10 minutes later I had the thing up and running perfectly.

The PCB was nicely laid out too, all the sections nicely indicated. It was a marvel to behold. Not sure if their modern equipment is like that, but this one was very servicable.

And that looks like a dang'd good price Logic, congrats.

Rob.

I'm very impressed with these little speakers.

They sound great out of the M Audio Audiophile card.

Haven't tried the internal DACS............might never unless I use them in a different set up.

I have a pair of PolkAUDIO 3 way floorstand speakers from 1973; first few sets made in Australia.

Opened the back up, all 'made in australia' stamped and NOTHING is damaged or rusted, and all the passive crossovers are perfect. I'm amazed.

I re-sealed the box internally (sikaflex on the joins), 'staple gunned' the wires to the walls to stop 'rattles' and re-tightened the speaker screws, and its golden.

Cost me $50 for the pair t cash converters. Just caus they look shit, doesnt mean they are Mr Cashies people.

I have one of those xenyx 802 mixers, Phantom power won't turn off, and a bit noisy for recording.

The mic input trim controls are like a switch instead of a potentiometer.

But for the money, not a bad solution.

I upgraded to a Eurorack, (berhinger, MX1804x), It's bigger, and the controls work as expected.

Regards Glenn

Bargain!

Honest? I thought they sounded good, but no reviews or other peoples oppinions... do they have a good rep back in the day do they? I like em; especially for, actually, I think it was $40!

It's all subjective, if it's better than what you replaced, then the experience will be better.

You can always spend more.

Regards Glenn

The thing about the 70's......is that they had a lot of amp stuff right but some of the speaker things were a bit random.

A lot of experimentation was going on, but if they sound good to you............they are good!