Sign in to follow this  
180degrees

Build log: SG03 Small Form Factor Beast

Figured I would post my progress over the next few days as I build a really powerful SFF machine (not your average HTPC :D)

Anyway parts list is as follows

-SG03 case looks like this:

Posted Image

-Core i5 750

-ASUS maximus II gene P55 mobo

-2x GTX470 SLI

-OCZ 50GB SSD OS drive

-2 Seagate 500gb 7200.12 storage drives

-Seasonic X750 fully modular PSU

-cheap dvd drive

-BenQ G2420 monitor (already have this)

So I got the case, SSD and CPU today but the PSU and video cards come in tomorrow but I can't get em till Wednesday :( and the motherboard was a special order from PCCG which I won't get till about Friday.

Since the SG03 is a hospital grey color inside I was thinking of grabbing a can of spray paint and painting it all enamel black, thoughts? oh and I think I will use my dremel to cut some small holes behind the mobo tray for sata cables and front panel cables.

Will upload some pics tomorrow if I do anything :)

Spray paint that fucker.

And welcome to Atomic make sure you keep the build log updated.

I'll be interested to see how the case copes with the heat load from those 470's. Are you getting some good quality fans (noctua pressure optimised?) to help with the exhaust duties?

Looks like an interesting build if it was silent too that could be one of the coolest SFF rigs I've seen.

Edited by UberPenguin

Sounds good, but as mentioned with 2 x GTX470s in such a small space heat is going to be a big issue. I know a couple of people with that case and the heat buildup even from just one card is pretty impressive.

Might even be worth going a single GTX480.

Less heat too :)

Got some more toys today

Posted Image

Seasonic X750 looks like one awesome PSU that puts offering from corsair to shame, box art for the GTX470 is fucking ugly to lol but boxes only end up in the cupboard anyway.

GTX470's are surpringly light compared to say a 5870

edit: hmm didn't mean to get my dog in the shot :/

Edited by 180degrees

Got some more toys today

Seasonic X750 looks like one awesome PSU that puts offering from corsair to shame, box art for the GTX470 is fucking ugly to lol but boxes only end up in the cupboard anyway.

I'm sure the Seasonic is a good PSU, but I don't think it will be putting the Corsair variety to shame.

I didn't know you could get Point of View cards in Australia? (or are you not in Australia?).

Good luck with the build though. Should be fast, portable and hot enough to cook an egg on :-)

I didn't know you could get Point of View cards in Australia? (or are you not in Australia?).

Umart sell Point of View (POV) GTX470s for $419.

Got some more toys today

I'm sure the Seasonic is a good PSU, but I don't think it will be putting the Corsair variety to shame.

You realise Seasonic make most of corsairs PSU's apart from the VX550, TX750 & 850 and HX1000 which are made by Channel Wells

Got some more toys today

You realise Seasonic make most of corsairs PSU's apart from the VX550, TX750 & 850 and HX1000 which are made by Channel Wells

Yep, they are not 80plus gold as far as I know except the HX 750 and HX850 which classify for gold but are only rated silver IIRC and also not true modular like this one is oh and they are about an inch longer.

Put some stuff in the case to check out the fit, glad I only got GTX470's as anything like a 5870 or GTX 480 wouold be really tight, well a 5870 would require a different fan I think.

Posted Image

edit: when I say put to shame I don't mean like how corsair, antec ect put like yum cha models to shame.

Edited by 180degrees

Not that much room left for you there between the GPUs and the fan. That power supply is perfect for that case.

Got some more toys today

I sure do. 'Putting to shame' implies that they are much better than the Corsair ones though. Not sure how that can be the case, since as you mention in most cases Corsair PSUs are Seasonic PSUs

Yep, they are not 80plus gold as far as I know except the HX 750 and HX850 which classify for gold but are only rated silver IIRC and also not true modular like this one is oh and they are about an inch longer.

Put some stuff in the case to check out the fit, glad I only got GTX470's as anything like a 5870 or GTX 480 wouold be really tight, well a 5870 would require a different fan I think.

Regarding the merits of the 80 Plus certification- have a read of this: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/856

The issue of operating temperature and what efficiency curve the power supply can achieve are particularly relevant in your situation with such a small case and the associated heat buildup.

Looks like a very tight fit! What CPU cooler are you going to use?

looks to be a promising build mate! :) though i have to question the case sorry, lian li v351 would have been great. good luck with everything dude.

looks to be a promising build mate! :) though i have to question the case sorry, lian li v351 would have been great. good luck with everything dude.

Thats that retarded case with the dvd drives off to the side, can't understand how anyone would want to pay money for it plus its pretty big for a cube case its like the berlin bunker sitting on your desk lol

anyway I painted the case last night/today although I stupidly got black enamel instead of black gloss (fuck) so some parts came out a bit blotchy.

Posted Image

also got my dvd drive corsair ram and 2 antec green fans today.

fingers crossed I get the motherboard today cause its just killing having to watch all this cooltech just sit there :(

Have you tested that the side panels etc still attach smoothly? Sometimes if the paint is a bit thick it can make such things a bit of a pain.

Thats that retarded case with the dvd drives off to the side, can't understand how anyone would want to pay money for it plus its pretty big for a cube case its like the berlin bunker sitting on your desk lol

anyway I painted the case last night/today although I stupidly got black enamel instead of black gloss (fuck) so some parts came out a bit blotchy.

Posted Image

also got my dvd drive corsair ram and 2 antec green fans today.

fingers crossed I get the motherboard today cause its just killing having to watch all this cooltech just sit there :(

haha yep thats the one!!

Hi 180degrees,

I have an SG03. I've had mine for about 1 1/2 years now and I love it.

I use mine as my games box/LAN box.

What’s in the box?

Q6600@3.0Ghz cooled by a Zalman CNPS8700NT

Asus P5 something mobo. Will update later.

4GB Team Xtreem DDR2 1066 RAM.

Zotac GTX 275

Corsair HX-620 PSU

WD 320GB SATA HDD

WD 750GB SATA HDD

Pioneer 216 SATA ODD

2 x Antec Tri cool 120mm red LED fans.

Some advice I can give you about the SG03 like bnew said is about the heat and some cable management.

Heat builds up in this case very quickly depending on what you are doing. When I'm not doing much or gaming at home I set both fans to the medium speed which is a very good middle ground between cooling and noise. When I'm at a LAN I ramp the fans up to full because the room temperature goes up with allot of computers in a small space and because I have headphones on and the general ambient noise from other gamers I can't hear the roar of the fans but keeps the rig nice and cool.

A mate of mine used to run a 4870 x 2 (it fit with about 2mm to spare between it and the fans) and a 4870 in crossfire in his SG03 and boy didn't that get hot. In the end he took out the 4870 x 2 because the heat started to affect the stability on the system.

So if it gets too hot you may have to just run a single card.

One thing that really gave me the shits with this case is the length of the front panel I/O cables! In the end I just removed the front panel I/O port all together. This also allowed me to access to the fan switches so I did not have to pull the side off each and every time I wanted to change their speed.

I see that in your test fitting you have mounted the PSU with the fan facing inwards. I actually have mounted mine with the fan facing outwards. Reason I did this is because I believe running it facing inwards will have adverse effects on the CPU cooler as you would have the fans playing tug-a-war against each other.

Well it lives! wouldn't post at first I was like ah fuck what a pain cause its not like a regular case you can easily get to things, then I remembered the memory channels have become retarded where dimm A1 is now where B1 used to be on all previous Intel boards :/ sure enough a RTFM on my part revealed yea I had to move the ram oh well all good now, SSD perfromance is jusst crazy warp speed mr Sulu :D and the 2 GTX470's are not to bad well one has a much more agressive fan profile then the other, I am quiet pleased with the reults, cpu is idling under 30c to.

Anyway remember you have to go about installing things in a SFF pc differently to a normal one so here is the process I used

1. Mount all your hard drives and dvd drive ect

Posted Image

2. Run the front panel headers under the motherboard, make sure they are not cut or anything cause to have to pull everything out to get to them would be a cunt of a job, also install the cpu cooler now then screw down the motherboard and plug in the front panel connectors.

Posted Image

3. Connect to their associated plugs and rout as many cables downwards as you can and tie as many down as possible, not an easy job but there are plent of areas you can afix a cable tie to then install the PSU and connect up the cables.

Posted Image

4. Install the video cards makig sure they have a bit of breathing room and airflow from the bottom fan and keep their 6 pin cables tidy!

Posted Image

5. Close her up and give thanks to the god of computers with a cold beer to celebrate the hour and a half process and also to keep him appeased to make sure your machine posts.

Posted Image

Mohawk, I have owned one before and just always installed the PSU's like this since I think it looks better fan inward but the Seasonic X series the fan won't start spinning until about 250-300w power draw

Yeah it looks like it turned out really well. Post some benchies as soon as ya can.