Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
lunchbox1988

I'm a Mac... Now

Command + o is open... not enter which acts as rename :S

Together: great app for storing all your random information

Chrome: it does not sync with all of mac but in terms of workflow, I thunk it trumps safari!

VLC: it plays video

Transmission: Torrent

Audium: Messenger

Things: Simple version of gtd, amazing app in conjunction with iPhone, a godsend for your productivity

Apples native apps: address book, mail, iCal, iTunes, etc: get used to them and yoour life will become easier...

Burn: it burns things

iWork is good: pages & numbers are word and excel, easy to migrate, there is another app to replace PowerPoint as well, forget the name...

Steermouse: for better acceleration curves on your USB mice

there is also an app that stops the startup chime, forget what that is called though, google it, it exists :)

command + space will also be your best friend, try it and see what happens ;)

Get info in mac is like properties in windows

Properties for software is never under tools ;) always under the programs menu :)

go through the whole control panel for some idea of what the system can do ;) it's not long and worth the browse

It arrived at 8:55 this morning, I setup my user details, and have put it away, need to work.

I will have a proper play tonight, and can't wait to check out everything you guys have suggested.

Well, after about 30 hours of moderate use, I must say, the Magic Mouse is actually magic.

Better Touch Tools is buggy and looks unintuitive, but I might give it another go.

Encoding with Handbrake is pretty decent, and iTunes handled my library move beautifully.

OK, so I tried googling, I tried MacRumors search.

Can anyone tell me if it exists, and if so point me to, an AD manager for OSX?

I want to be able to admin an AD server (Active Directory Users and Computers equiv) on my OSX machine when I VPN, without having to RDP to my AD server.

I want to be able to admin an AD server (Active Directory Users and Computers equiv) on my OSX machine when I VPN, without having to RDP to my AD server.

No.

Either RDP / Virtualise.

No.

Either RDP / Virtualise.

The only ways.

Anyone mentioned Quicksilver yet?

um, apparently not for some odd reason.

Install this thing the moment you get your mac. It is one of the most useful applications I have ever used. you basically hold down a user defined keyboard command and then type the first couple of letters of the app/image/folder/worddocument that you want to open and it loads it for you. it's great!

Anyone mentioned Quicksilver yet?

um, apparently not for some odd reason.

Install this thing the moment you get your mac. It is one of the most useful applications I have ever used. you basically hold down a user defined keyboard command and then type the first couple of letters of the app/image/folder/worddocument that you want to open and it loads it for you. it's great!

You mean like spotlight? that's been built in since 10.4?

I remember when dickheads were recommending quicksilver back when I switched. I never have seen a use for it.

I hate spotlight. it's slow, annoying to use and has a bad interface. quicksilver is a lot faster than spotlight, has a nice interface and launch's things so much quicker than spotlight. at least try it before you start calling us dickheads for recommending something.

I installed quicksilver about 30 minutes after the initial unboxing...

Seems ok, but I don't mind using spotlight or QS to shortcut to apps and files.

I hate spotlight. it's slow, annoying to use and has a bad interface. quicksilver is a lot faster than spotlight, has a nice interface and launch's things so much quicker than spotlight.

Faster than instant? Crappy interface? Its a tiny blue bar and a drop down list. You see it for half a second, launches shit instantly.

What are you running on? A G3?

The mind boggles.

at least try it before you start calling us dickheads for recommending something.

I have tried it, a long time ago. I thought it was supposed to do much more.

" i cant tell you what quicksilver is, you'd have to use it to see" is what people told me.

It looks pointless to me.