keza

most epic single player game of all time?

what is the greatest single player game that ever existed. and this doesn't mean graphics wise this means best game play and most enjoyable. so if anyone says crysis cause of the graphics they should just STFU.

im thinking doom II or quake I

To play right now, or to play at the time I (we) originally played it?

Edited by tantryl

I have a few contenders I can't really seperate - they're more less permanently installed on all my computers.

Planescape: Torment.

Deus Ex.

Vampire, The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Descent Freespace. (More accurately, OpenFS - aka the Source Code Project.

Both the games mentioned in the OP had the barest sketch of a storyline. If you're going to include those, you might as well include Painkiller - that game at least had a kickarse metal soundtrack and AI bright enough that the big bad guys would grab the smaller ones and use them as meatshields.

Fallout 3 was epic for being open, yet having achievable objectives.

Half-Life/Half-Life 2/Ep1/Ep2 for longevity (plus the expansions to the original Opposing Force and Blue Shift)

The original Quake was pretty sucky, though that didn't stop me from playing it a lot.

I enjoyed Quake II even more.

Hmm.

Best PC games...

1. Deus Ex

2. Operation Flashpoint

3. Half-Life

I'd say those are my top three, in that order.

In my opinion Deus Ex was the most epic with Fallout 1 or 2 second.

Why Deus Ex?

I think D.E. in terms of game play was the first game to really nail a free form RPG in which you can approach situation in any way you choose based on your characters skills (through augmentations) and his standing with NPC's. They didn't just nail a balance between stealth and combat and make both challenging but they managed to strike sub sets of there were stealth could be approached in many different ways. I could make a stealther who is good and bypassing security and hacking terminals to use security against it's own team. Or I could be a combat stealther who harnesses tranq shots and the like in a non lethal approach and rely on EMP devices for security.

As for the story as good as it was I think it's the way in which the story was presented to the character that made this game ahead of all others, story was more often than not told from within the game engine sometimes it would take a 3rd perspective and show JC but sometimes it would be you listening into conversations, I distinctly remember after the first stage on Liberty Island when you go back into the HQ I was outside the bosses office I was about to enter when I saw the boss talking to a hologram communication to someone I didn't know about me. I actually felt guilty to eves drop but at the same time it gave you a sense that all might not be what it seems. These sorts of interactions where everywhere in the game sometimes you would find emails about JC (me) on peoples computers that give you snippets of new information no one detail giving you the whole story. I don't think any game since Deus Ex has lived up to this kind of story telling.

Oh and something I missed but I think it was crucially important in what made this game so epic and one of the few true RPG's and this is what I most appreciated about Deus Ex

It relied on player intelligence, security codes and passwords were not remembered magically by Jc Denton, YOU WERE JC Denton, if you saw a password you had better be writing that thing down (using the memo pad in game) or remembering it yourself in real life because you are JC Denton so many people today would say that's just a pain in the ass but to me it was a crucial part of the game it meant there was no separation between JC Denton and myself and it was up to me to fill his shoes and complete the incredibly compelling story and it's challenges. That is just one example of the difference between a game that makes you play the role of the protagonist and today's RPGs where you view the protagonist and only participate in combat.

Fallout 1 and 2 well this game speaks for it self for anyone who has played and loved it probably doesn't need me to rehash anything.

special mention to Half Life 1 made great use of scripted events to present story and puzzle in such a way that your goal is apparent to you without you having to be told directly by in game text or narration what you need to do (*COUGH* Alan Wake *COUGH*).

Edited by Bundy

It's funny how these topics always contain RPGs like Balders gate, Fallout, Planescape Torment, Deus Ex made more than 10 years ago.

To be honest sometimes these threads are depressing because I essentially agree with everyone in some way and then you realise no gaming experience has matched these games in more than 10 years and the trend is for new games to move further from the elements that made these games so great. Even Mass Effect 1 or 2 don't hold a candle to these games in terms of Epicness.

Oh to add some FPS love to this list how about Soldier of Fortune?

Edited by Bundy

It relied on player intelligence, security codes and passwords were not remembered magically by Jc Denton, YOU WERE JC Denton, if you saw a password you had better be writing that thing down (using the memo pad in game) or remembering it yourself in real life because you are JC Denton

Hmm, I remember being able to go back over things you've found, as well as conversation logs to get passwords and things when you needed them... without having to manually 'remember' them.

Though sometimes it was a pain finding the right conversation, then scrolling through to find the codes/passwords, but I definitely remember being able to do so.

Edited by Reb1rth.

I can't just leave it at one. There are five, and they're all so insanely close to each other that I can't give them priority.

1. Fallout 3

2. Deus Ex

3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

4. Baldur's Gate Series

5. Neverwinter Nights

Honourable mentions go to Terminal Velocity, the Descent series, Freespace 2, Outcast, Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

It relied on player intelligence, security codes and passwords were not remembered magically by Jc Denton, YOU WERE JC Denton, if you saw a password you had better be writing that thing down (using the memo pad in game) or remembering it yourself in real life because you are JC Denton

Hmm, I remember being able to go back over things you've found, as well as conversation logs to get passwords and things when you needed them... without having to manually 'remember' them.

Though sometimes it was a pain finding the right conversation, then scrolling through to find the codes/passwords, but I definitely remember being able to do so.

That log was massive if you were an explorer like me.. they went lost but the game did reward you for being on top of your shit.

Games today you click on a note book find password and can just click on the door and it opens.

That's the contrast. Games today all the little things get streamlined turning every RPG into only a combat game exploration is arbitrary.

Edited by Bundy

I'm going to pitch in a few free games here:

1. within a deep forest

2. one must fall: 2097

3. Descent freespace 1 & 2

4. tyrian 2000

Oh almost forgot

Die by the Sword

haha One Must Fall was awesome.

oh yeah, spent many, many hours running around San Andreas, Carl Johnson (CJ) was so badass.

+1 to fallout 1/2.

LOVED em.

Still have a fear of eerie vaults in Fallout 3.

I'll happily bust any horror movie/game no problems but I always get all edgy with fallout vaults.

I think the fear from playing the first two as a kid has been instilled in me 0_0

I have to mention COD4:modern warfare.

One of the few games I've been glued to from start to finish. As short as it may be :P

And an honorable mention to Mount&Blade.

Bought that game about 5 years ago.

Watched it get built from the ground up, great community and I can still go back and play it over and over.

Edited by chapps

For me nothing has drawn me in as much as Mass Effect 1 and 2..

I just could not stop playing it to find out how the story unfolds.

Can't wait for the 3rd game.

By most epic, I'll assume you mean the one that drew the most and biggest positive reactions from me.

By single player game, I assume you mean a PC game that does not have a multiplayer component at ALL.

By those criteria, I'll have to choose Fallout 2.

Gameplay - the satisfaction of building up a character in EXACTLY the way YOU want and still being able to complete the game, brilliant. It bugs me to hell when a game penalises you heavily for picking a build that is not the "optimum". I particularly like going for the negotiator path in the original Fallout and convincing the Master that his creations are sterile so he kills himself.

Nostalgia - the huge number of references to pop culture were great. Something for just about anyone who played the game at the time.

The reason I ask this is that games like Max Payne or Doom would be way up on my list, but the control system was in an annoying phase that doesn't match today's system and makes it frustrating to play now. At the time it was great, 'cause we hadn't gotten a better and standardised FPS control system figured out, but you try and play them now and they feel off even after you reconfigure to modern standards. Ya dig? Edited by tantryl

In no particular order

. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

. Call of Duty (Original)

. Knights of The Old Republic

. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

. Oblivion

The reason I ask this is that games like Max Payne or Doom would be way up on my list, but the control system was in an annoying phase that doesn't match today's system and makes it frustrating to play now. At the time it was great, 'cause we hadn't gotten a better and standardised FPS control system figured out, but you try and play them now and they feel off even after you reconfigure to modern standards. Ya dig?

it doesnt matter when they were made or how the controls were, it is about how entertaining and enjoyable was that game? Edited by keza

Sadly, I never got to play SS2, although I kinda liked the first one, even though I was about 7 or 8 and had no idea what I was doing in it.