keza

most epic single player game of all time?

Surprised nobody has mentioned System Shock 2.

\

Agreed... System Shock 2 would be my vote. I loved Deus Ex as well and although they do share some similarities I think that SS2 was just a bit better.

Also let's not forget Civilization, Colonization and Civ 2 :)

I didn't mention SS2 because I felt Deus Ex was superior. I think SS2 did a very good job in creating atmosphere it was one of the earlier tense scary games i remember playing.

F.E.A.R.

HL2

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Earthworm Jim

Super Mario World

Double Dragon II

Surprised nobody has mentioned System Shock 2.

For their respective times, System Shock gets my vote over System Shock 2. #2 improved on what had gone before, but #1 presented something altogether new.

To play right now, or to play at the time I (we) originally played it?

The reason I ask this is that games like Max Payne or Doom would be way up on my list, but the control system was in an annoying phase that doesn't match today's system and makes it frustrating to play now. At the time it was great, 'cause we hadn't gotten a better and standardised FPS control system figured out, but you try and play them now and they feel off even after you reconfigure to modern standards. Ya dig?

it doesnt matter when they were made or how the controls were, it is about how entertaining and enjoyable was that game?

Ah, so how entertaining and enjoyable it WAS not how entertaining and enjoyable it currently IS?

Surprised no-one has said Homeworld. First RTS that properly nailed being in 3D. Gameplay was awesome, unit balance was spot on (except for the OP salvage collectors). Graphics were top-notch too, the ships were all beautifully animated with heaps of ships on screen at once. Even just getting into formation for a hyperspace jump was epic, let alone the space battles. Story was epic too, the whole mass exodus thing.

Agree too with Deus Ex, Fallout 3, Half-Life series.

Freespace 2 - epic in scope and storyline. You were not a god, just a cog in the greater war machine, which had the (un)fortunate luck of witnessing the biggest events unfold before you. And I have not since that game in the final mission, ever had an adrenaline rush equal to the race against time which concludes the fame.

Gameplay - the satisfaction of building up a character in EXACTLY the way YOU want and still being able to complete the game, brilliant. It bugs me to hell when a game penalises you heavily for picking a build that is not the "optimum". I particularly like going for the negotiator path in the original Fallout and convincing the Master that his creations are sterile so he kills himself.

It was fun being a stealth negotiator and never having to directly kill anyone. Sure you set off a nuke or two but you never have to pull a gun/knife/rocket launcher etc to kill anyone.

old skool.........................DELTA FORCE...............................

omg, yes, Portal. It was strange at first, and when you finished, it felt natural.

Some other games that weren't epic, but were fun at the time, Postal 2 and Redneck Rampage, and even ROTT. I'd like someone to reboot any of those.

C&C Red Alert 1 SP campaigns

Deus Ex

No One Lives Forever 2

Max Payne

KOTOR

Psychonauts

Half Life series

One of my mates has finished HL2 about 7 times whilst also going through and doing the Gnome acheivement.

He STILL loads it up all the time and plays his favourite missions over and over again.

He fucking loves that game, if the CD hole was bigger he would fuck it.

I think some people don't understand the definition of epic...

Because, last time I checked, Portal was anything but epic. Awesome, yes, interesting, yes, challenging, yes. Epic? Nothing about it was epic. It was a puzzle game with pretty graphics, and little else.

I think some people don't understand the definition of epic...

Because, last time I checked, Portal was anything but epic. Awesome, yes, interesting, yes, challenging, yes. Epic? Nothing about it was epic. It was a puzzle game with pretty graphics, and little else.

You actually managed to leave out the factor that most people think makes it epic. You know, if we ignore the way they balanced the puzzles and progression to make sure they didn't get boring better than any other game I've ever seen, which was pretty good.