keza

most epic single player game of all time?

I think some people don't understand the definition of epic...

Because, last time I checked, Portal was anything but epic. Awesome, yes, interesting, yes, challenging, yes. Epic? Nothing about it was epic. It was a puzzle game with pretty graphics, and little else.

You actually managed to leave out the factor that most people think makes it epic. You know, if we ignore the way they balanced the puzzles and progression to make sure they didn't get boring better than any other game I've ever seen, which was pretty good.

You have perfectly illustrated his point.

My point too, but I wasn't going to say anything about it.

past 3 years: dead space, uncharted 2, mass effect (series)

past 5 years: HL2, prince of persia sands of time

past 10+ years: max payne, goldeneye64, quake 1, diablo (series)

there are definately more 'great' games i can mention, but these imo perfected the art of creating believable and unfaultable worlds, tied in with their original storytelling techniques that put them above the rest for me

Edited by ayefkay

Epic? Deus Ex. Everything about that game was epic, from the fate of the world resting in your hands, the enormous levels, and just being a nano-augmented cyborg killing machine, tasked with sticking it to Uncle Sam. Blowing up Area 51 with a nuclear warhead? Hell yes!

The original Unreal Tournament deserves a mention. It was, and still remains in my opinion, the fastest and most hardcore FPS ever made. The cyber punk window dressing and dystopian deathsport backdrop just made it even better.

I'd agree with Half Life 2 as well, and Half Life itself. Whilst Half Life laid a benchmark no one saw coming, Half Life 2 both met and exceeded expectations, not an easy task given the flack it was copping at the time. On top of that, it took the epic setting of the human race's last stand, and did everything possible to put you there, and empower you to change the course of destruction.

OK to me epic is games that when you finished, it's like you climbed mt everest and just sit there watching the end credits and just go "woah!"

surprised no one has mentioned stalker. BUT you gotta play it with complete mod, wow russians and chernobyl = fuckin bad assery. I lived and breathed that game for about 3 weeks straight. Its basically a gritty Oblivion with awseome FPS gameplay.

going through history first epic game for me was quake 2, intro movie and first few levels hooked me, but later levels just turns into a shoot fest...

Sys shock 2 -> Unreal -> Half Life -> Thief 2 -> Deus Ex -> Diablo 2 -> Deus Ex 2 (no really, i rate it. Now it's positively tini in its scope but story was pretty cool) -> Doom 3 (though same meh towards end as quake 2) -> HL 2 -> Bioshock.

I know that theres others that i've forgotten plus i havent had the chance to play and /or finish: Oblivion, Fallout series, Outcast, Balders Gate 2, but im sure they're way up there.

Edited by 2bobrob

Basically, epic is different to everyone. For me, it defines that point where when I start it, it's like 'Dang, this is going to be a rad ride.'

In this case, Doom -> Half Life -> Fallout 2 -> Deus Ex -> Half Life 2 -> Fallout 3 -> CoD:MW2 (SP side).

Elite / Frontier Elite 2 I spent so many hours playing those games.

Deus Ex excellent story driven FPS.

More recently games such as Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Dragon Age in these games I believe Bioware have shown you can have an immersive story without sacrificing game play.

In no particular order

( still got to get arround to playing duus ex, i have played the invisible war though)

Syberia:

Syberia’s a great adventure game that tells an intriguing story with all the flourish that old-schoolers always wax nostalgic about.

i hold these games in high esteme, and they have contributed to who i am, nice to see some one who shares similar views

granted its a review but she raises alot of they key issues in the game.

its got automatons ( clock work robots that are incorporated in to everything, manufacturing robots, companions etc) CLOCKWORK TRAINZ ZOMG ALSO SOVIET ERA TECH N BLIMPS N SHIT!

also one of the best orchestral scores eva

Longest journey, 1 and 2:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>&hl=en&fs=1">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

both these games were a bit iffy in the game play aspect, but the stories and rich narritive universe sucks you in with awesome sights, and sounds, weird and wonderful places with their own history and culture just fucking class!

i liked hl 1 and 2

want to try mass effect

port was epic, the lack of story made it intriguing and made the universe up as they went along kinda, will be great to learn more about it.

Edited by battlefield_gir

The longest journey was pretty damn good, it's one of the reasons i am looking forward to The Secret World because its creative designer is the same person Ragnar Tornquist.

a few that havent been mentioned that deserve it, pokemon red and blue version, the rachet and clank series and jak II i know they were aimed at the teenage - kids generation but the storyline and gameplay was soo gripping especialy the original pokemon versions. admit it if you were a kid or teenager in the 90's you couldnt put the pokemon series down ever!!!!!!!!!

Edited by keza

I was both a kid and a teenager in the 90's, and I still don't know what the fuck Pokemon is, except there's some kind of yellow animal that does something.

It's a lightning rat.

And the games I've played are bog standard implementations of card/table games, exactly the same as any other.

I was both a kid and a teenager in the 90's, and I still don't know what the fuck Pokemon is, except there's some kind of yellow animal that does something.

it was relaesed in 1998 so it was a late entry into that decade

It's a lightning rat.

And the games I've played are bog standard implementations of card/table games, exactly the same as any other.

you never played pokemon red version or blue version did you for shame

a few that havent been mentioned that deserve it, pokemon red and blue version, the rachet and clank series and jak II i know they were aimed at the teenage - kids generation but the storyline and gameplay was soo gripping especialy the original pokemon versions. admit it if you were a kid or teenager in the 90's you couldnt put the pokemon series down ever!!!!!!!!!

pokemon had a story?

Anyone beyond 12 years old that enjoys Pokemon is broken.

Some would say anyone that plays video games beyond the age of 12 is broken. Pokemon is a pretty fun game. Complex its not, but lets face it, there isn't really much to BFBC2 either.

Call of Duty

Call of Duty 2

Call of Duty 3

Call of Duty: World at War

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Barbie as the Island Princess

Postal 2

Manhunt

Sesame Street A-B-C

Why has Grim Fandango not been mentioned?

One of the best single player games ever made. Fantastic story, entertaining and funny.

Yeah, but was it epic? Granted, yes, I think it probably qualifies, but I only ever played the demo.

I'd vote for BF2142 as well. Some fucking great memories playing that game, haven't had anything close to it since. I'd rank it on par with Ut2k4.

Call of Duty

Call of Duty 2

Call of Duty 3

Call of Duty: World at War

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Call of Duty: Black Ops

I see you like Call of Duty.

I used to play Ratchet and Clank and Pokemon all the time! :P Edited by brissmas

Why has Grim Fandango not been mentioned?

One of the best single player games ever made. Fantastic story, entertaining and funny.

It would have been my second choice if that makes you feel any better.

Anyone beyond 12 years old that enjoys Pokemon is broken.

Some would say anyone that plays video games beyond the age of 12 is broken.
Those people are what we call; delusional. ;)