keza

most epic single player game of all time?

Most epic sp game for me it has to be Res. Evil (the original) on the PS. But seeing as this is the pc board it has to be (IMO);

HL2...

& WoW!

Edited by gabber

Civilization

/thread

I agree with you there. Truly an epic game.

Now I may be arguing semantics, and I know that others have mentioned it, but doesn't the word "epic" imply that the thing it is describing is longer or grander in some way than normal? A game can be the best of all time without necessarily being "epic". So is the OP asking for the "most epic" or the best single player game? Because I would have two different answers.

Daikatana

What is wrong with you :D

Also, Pokemon is awesome and I will never ever again feel the same way I did when I first played Red version and picked up my Charmander from Prof. Oak, the feeling of antricipation of a great journey ahead of me, it makes me sad because I remember the feeling but I will probably never come across it again.

Civilization

/thread

Now I may be arguing semantics, and I know that others have mentioned it, but doesn't the word "epic" imply that the thing it is describing is longer or grander in some way than normal? A game can be the best of all time without necessarily being "epic". So is the OP asking for the "most epic" or the best single player game? Because I would have two different answers.

Yeah. If you go by the traditional definition (heroic or grand in scale or character) then the winner is World of Warcraft.

And no-one wants that.

Civilization

/thread

Yeah. If you go by the traditional definition (heroic or grand in scale or character) then the winner is World of Warcraft.

And no-one wants that.

Especially in a thread with 'single player' in the title :p

Monkey Island

Grim Fandango

HL1

Fallout 1 & 2

Bards Tale 1

Arcanum

Civs (All of them really. 3 was a bit iffy)

Space Quests (The entire series)

Leisure Suit Larry 1 (Purely from a 'memories' point of view)

AD

It's a lightning rat.

And the games I've played are bog standard implementations of card/table games, exactly the same as any other.

you never played pokemon red version or blue version did you for shame

Funny you mention it, my housemate has been obsessed with it for the last 3-4 weeks.

And yes, it's basically the same as any other card/table game I've played.

Unreal Tournament 99

Half-Life

All versions of DOOM, except Doom 3

Halo: Combat Evolved

Quake 2 and Quake 3: Arena

I like old-school. Sue me :)

Anyone beyond 12 years old that enjoys Pokemon is broken.

Man, Pokemon is one of the best RPGs ever.

No shit.

no matter how hard I try though I still can't cath them all :P

Anyone beyond 12 years old that enjoys Pokemon is broken.

Man, Pokemon is one of the best RPGs ever.

No shit.

no matter how hard I try though I still can't cath them all :P

I remember when I caught some crazy ass pokemon who like fully artifacted my gameboy. Was epic.

Missingno.

short for Missing Number, a bit of debug info left in there.

Accessed after talking to the 'how to catch' tutor then surfing down the coast of cinibar islnd.

Knows 2X watergun, sky attack and... surf? i believe. and when given a rare candy would usually morph into the last thing you saw in safari zone.

Edited by Master_Scythe

And what was the awesome pokemon you could catch in the long grass right near the last trainer in the game? Was it MewTwo? Or was it another Missingno?

last trainer was Gary Oak, at the end of the elite four, there is no way to encounter anything in there.

Mewtwo was found in the Unknown Dungeon after quite a bit of HM using to get past boulders and surfing. There is no 'awesome pokemon' in long grass, they were all just regular pokemon. after blue and red you could find things like the 3 legendary dogs in the grass who roam, but thats a whole generation away. 253 pokemon days.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Hmm, my bad, would have been before the elite four, there was a secret pokemon that you had to get somewhere...

My memory is a little rusty, has been about 12 years since I played them I think.

in that game there are the 3 legendary birds (Articuno, Moltres and Zapdos) and Mewtwo, all are STANDING there visible to click on.

One of the birds is standing on a cave off the side of victory road (the path to the elite four) but thats about all.

mewtwo is after the elite four as you cant get into the unkown dungeon before you beat em.

I love the story of Missingno, it is actually the program left over from the Marowak -> Khangaskahn evolution that got scraped close to the games release, instead of deleting it they just moved it to a random location which happened to be off cinnebar island.

Really they should have kept it, cubone is for sure a baby Khangaskahn, this is probably the only reason they haven't fucked with Khangaskahn in newer games with the pre, post evolutions like all the others.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Followed closely by:

Half-Life series

Goldeneye 64

Lylat Wars 64

Super Mario Bros

Commander Keen 4