keza

most epic single player game of all time?

Oblivion would only seem like an Elder Scrolls game because of the open world. Nothing else is even remotely similar.

I prefer Oblivion to morrowind. That's a matter of taste, there are many things different. I'm happy to give up the diverse landscapes of morrowind - snow, giant mushrooms, ashland, bitter coast, grassland for grand forests, mountains and waterfalls of Oblivion. I'm happy to give up the Levitation spells for the awesome conjuration spells of Oblivion, damn the Atronachs look badass. Many other things.

I still hate the cookie cutter nature of the dungeons though. I don't understand - the outside world is so wonderful and rolling and alive, and the dungeons so mass manufactured =T

Yeah, open world...and Guilds, political factions, level ups through skill improvement. Sounds like an Elder Scrolls game to me.

Edited by Kung Fu Hung-Su

lol same with 3 I've tried to complete it 3 times now and I always get to the point where im up to the last gate and never get around to finishing it. Guess I should try it tonight....

Fallout 1 and 2 for me.

NOT Fallout 3, that game ruined Fallout Lore completely....

I hope New Vegas puts back the Fallout Lore as it should be.

What gates? I was too busy riding a black horse around the country, collecting shiny things for my house. lol!

Wow, I just realised I played Oblivion like The Sims...except I can summon giant spider queens, make potions and I have a badass armoured horse.

Each to their own I guess but I hated it.

Going from games like Neverwinter nights and Baldurs Gate to that steaming pile of crap, it was horrible, nearly everything in the game was done wrong, not to mention it bored the fuck out of me.

The first few quests are alright and then everything after that is the same quest in a different location, it's so damn boring because there is no variety at all.

I would also like a magical sword that didn't run on batteries that I have to trawl more lame dungeons to find spares and spend more time playing the game.

The fights are hopelessly easy as all it revolves around is timing, theres nearly no strategy apart from leading single enemies astray from the larger group.

The dialogue is absolutely horrible and the dialogue options not much better, if you want an in depth game make it feel that way, with good old Fallout 1-2 and Baldurs gate style dialogue, which actually feels like you're talking to and trying to convince someone of something instead of dialogue options that are pretty much 'Next" buttons to see what else they have to say.

I could go on forever.

Such a hater. Did anyone play Oblivion for the story or characters? I sure didn't, hah.

if you want an in depth game make it feel that way

No. If you want an in depth game, go play something else. Who says bethesda were trying to make an in depth game? They made what they wanted to make - you can't make a game that's "wrong" unless it's not what you wanted to make.

So you've identified what Oblivion is -not-. It's not a place to flirt with a girl like Aerie and get her pregnant. It's not a place with two headed cows uddering "Moo, I say." It's not a place where you can buy iguana-on-a-stick that's made of people then blackmail the vendor for a hundred bottle caps a week. It's not a place where you can subject replicants to the Voight Kampff test.

I'll tell you what it -is-. It's a game that rewards your ability to find mods other people have lovingly created, and add them to your game - adding a beautiful new armour, the ability to decapitate foes, add Final Fantasy-esque hair, add new landmasses, whatever music you like lots of fun things, whatever you want. It's like working on an open source project except its easier and more fun. It's immensely satisfying to go and find something, download and install it, then see it work for you.

This kind of experience is definitely not for everyone. But it was fun for me and many, many others. It was not done "wrong".

It was done 'wrong' if it was done 'right' there would be no need for mods to improve upon it, they didn't release it just so people could mod it.

Some mods make a good game better, oblivion mods make a shit game playable.

"Tailor" is not the same as "improve."

Oblivion mods turn Oblivion into what the player wants. I might want Cloud Strife's buster sword, a race of Moogles and spiky hair, but that's me. Just me.

Yeah, open world...and Guilds, political factions, level ups through skill improvement. Sounds like an Elder Scrolls game to me.

Yeah yeah yeah.

Except, the mapping is BORING.

The Quests are BORING.

The Dungeons are BORING.

The Guilds are BORING (except for the DB)

The weapons are BORING. (I mean come on, wheres the diversity that MW had?)

The weapons Skills are BORING. (Oh, Axes are Blunt Weapons now? I get it)

The NPCs are BORING.

Damn right, its nothing like any of the previous TES games because its a pile of crap.

Edited by nukejockey

You're right, although the modability of a game cannot be it's only merit, you have to take it for what it is, or was, when it was released. Just because you can change something to suit your needs doesn't mean that you should have had to. For example there was no lock busting option, I added one through a mod, does this make it a great game? No because it's something I had to add myself. You can make it a great game in your own mind but the point is that you are making it what it is.

Such a hater. Did anyone play Oblivion for the story or characters? I sure didn't, hah.

if you want an in depth game make it feel that way

No. If you want an in depth game, go play something else. Who says bethesda were trying to make an in depth game? They made what they wanted to make - you can't make a game that's "wrong" unless it's not what you wanted to make.

So you've identified what Oblivion is -not-. It's not a place to flirt with a girl like Aerie and get her pregnant. It's not a place with two headed cows uddering "Moo, I say." It's not a place where you can buy iguana-on-a-stick that's made of people then blackmail the vendor for a hundred bottle caps a week. It's not a place where you can subject replicants to the Voight Kampff test.

I'll tell you what it -is-. It's a game that rewards your ability to find mods other people have lovingly created, and add them to your game - adding a beautiful new armour, the ability to decapitate foes, add Final Fantasy-esque hair, add new landmasses, whatever music you like lots of fun things, whatever you want. It's like working on an open source project except its easier and more fun. It's immensely satisfying to go and find something, download and install it, then see it work for you.

This kind of experience is definitely not for everyone. But it was fun for me and many, many others. It was not done "wrong".

Oblivion is only good with mods.

Morrowind is still good without mods, but even better with mods.

It was definitely done wrong, the only thing they did right was ship it with TESCS.

It doesn't matter what its like AFTER you mod it, because bethesda has NOTHING to do with it.

I think you're getting mixed up here mate, honestly.

Oblivion doesnt compare to something like, Deus Ex, unless you mod it. Deus Ex is a vanilla game.

You can mod other, shit games, does that make them good? =/

If Oblivion didn't have a large modding community behind it and you had to make all the mods yourself, would you still say it was good?

Your reasoning is fucking retarded and makes no sense.

Bad Game is bad, good mods are good.

Okay, we get it.

You're right, although the modability of a game cannot be it's only merit, you have to take it for what it is, or was, when it was released. Just because you can change something to suit your needs doesn't mean that you should have had to. For example there was no lock busting option, I added one through a mod, does this make it a great game? No because it's something I had to add myself. You can make it a great game in your own mind but the point is that you are making it what it is.

Oblivion is only good with mods.

Morrowind is still good without mods, but even better with mods.

It was definitely done wrong, the only thing they did right was ship it with TESCS.

It doesn't matter what its like AFTER you mod it, because bethesda has NOTHING to do with it.

I think you're getting mixed up here mate, honestly.

Oblivion doesnt compare to something like, Deus Ex, unless you mod it. Deus Ex is a vanilla game.

You can mod other, shit games, does that make them good? =/

If Oblivion didn't have a large modding community behind it and you had to make all the mods yourself, would you still say it was good?

Bad Game is bad, good mods are good.

Okay, we get it.

I played and enjoyed Oblivion on release date way back in 2006 before any mods existed just fine, then enjoyed it more with more mods. I also enjoyed Morrowind without any mods, and enjoyed it again with more mods.

I'll say that one more time.

I played and enjoyed Oblivion before any mods existed.

One more time for good measure.

I played and enjoyed Oblivion before any mods existed.

I happen to like watching a thief crawl around town trying to pickpocket people, then get caught and beat up by the entire town. I happen to like going to the mountain town on horseback and look at the view down the valley. I happen to like being able to cast spells without having to put my sword away first. I happen to like many things.

Without even putting mods in the picture.

I will never, ever, compare Oblivion to Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout etc (all of these I still own and enjoy). I made it very clear that Oblivion is NOT any of these games.

Both of you are saying "I will never recommend this game to anyone." I'm saying, this is a game that is worth recommending to certain people. Why spread so much hate? =(

Gotta go with Kung Fu on this one. Yes, I get that Oblivion isn't for everybody - but that's the same with everything. Believe it or not, some people even find old-school RPGs boring. Hell, some people don't even like Half-Life or Deus Ex (as shocking as that may be to me! :P). Personally, I enjoyed it - and that was before even adding mods to it. I wouldn't label it as the best game ever, but it's a fun enough adventure in its own right and I can certainly see why a lot of people would really love it. It's a perspective thing really - for everybody who hates it, there's somebody who loves it.

Both of you are saying "I will never recommend this game to anyone." I'm saying, this is a game that is worth recommending to certain people. Why spread so much hate? =(

I said that where? o.O

I only ever said that Oblivion isn't as good as Morrowind, which I still stand by.

Don't get me wrong, I've played alot of Oblivion too, but theres a few things that left a sour taste in my mouth.

The Forts/Caves/Ruins/Gates - Fucking Boring. Morrowind was full of all these wonderous, unique locations, stray off the path a bit and you might come across a haunted house or you might find a hidden cave. Whatever, it varied alot. Oblivion was just boring. The Caves were boring, the Forts were boring etc. You get the picture. There was fuck all variation in the way of weapons/armour. There were hundreds of different varieties in MW, I'd say Oblivions would range into the dozens, maybe. The levelled lists, I'm fairly sure everyone hated this, creatures/items levelling up with you. In MW I could be a sneaky little bastard and go and steal a whole bunch of good armour and swords etc. In Oblivion I have like, 12 choices in total.

I'll admit there were some great quests and quest chains (Loved the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild) but there weren't nearly enough random quests.

The world itself was BORING. Rolling green hills as far as the eye could see, then a few mountains. Whoopty doo. Not Cool.

Despite all that, I've played several hundred hours of it, more so than morrowind, mainly because of FEW gameplay elements that are better. The fighting, the stealth/stealing stuff etc. And ofcourse the graphics.

Morrowind just had more variety all round. And a bigger world.

Still, I just got morrowind looking like a dated game from 2009 and I still can't go back to it after playing Oblivion...Rose Tinted Glasses? Maybe. But Vanilla Oblivion still doesn't compare to how Morrowind was when it was released way back when.

I would have to be a morrowind guy, but I like oblivion a lot. If they had gone half and half it would have really hit the spot.

The varied landscapes and cities of morrowind and the quests that require you to read and think about the text are good, as was the leveling system.

However, the controls were clunky, the chance based spell casting annoying, and the non-regenerating mana was just stupid. If you took morrowinds lore, and placed it within oblivions mechanics, it would be the greatest game evar.

oh wait.

I'd have to say that I didn't mind Oblivion. I think most of the difficulty people had with it was expecting it to be Morrowind 2.

If it comes down to which I played more, Morrowind wins, but Oblivion came to my stable late, and had significant problems with unfinishable quests: the fighters' guild one would crap out every time I finished the Hisst Sap mission, for instance; and I never did get final battle to run.

I said that where? o.O

I only ever said that Oblivion isn't as good as Morrowind, which I still stand by.

You said Oblivion was shit, bad, a pile of crap, and much more. Which certainly means you wouldn't recommend it to anybody. ANd certainly not "only that it isn't as good as Morrowind".

Yeah yeah yeah.

Except, the mapping is BORING.

The Quests are BORING.

The Dungeons are BORING.

The Guilds are BORING (except for the DB)

The weapons are BORING. (I mean come on, wheres the diversity that MW had?)

The weapons Skills are BORING. (Oh, Axes are Blunt Weapons now? I get it)

The NPCs are BORING.

Damn right, its nothing like any of the previous TES games because its a pile of crap.

It was definitely done wrong

/snip

/snip

Bad Game is bad

And you also called me fucking retarded. Thanks. Remind me not to bother helping you again.

Thanks Manta. haha. I don't consider Oblivion a massively awesome game either - it's Fallout 2 that I find myself replaying, but yes, it does have its merits. :]

Back on topic.

Epic single player games - I'll add Wing Commander 2. Fall in love with a fellow copilot, be betrayed by someone I have an enormous amount of trouble hating because he's a fantastic jazz pianist, have an alien (Kilrathi) as a best bud and destroy a space station by yourself...that game was pretty epic. MIDI music ftw.

Oh, and Syndicate. Slowly take over the world with a team of cyborg agents jacked on drugs and armed with Persuadatrons.

I would have to be a morrowind guy, but I like oblivion a lot. If they had gone half and half it would have really hit the spot.

The varied landscapes and cities of morrowind and the quests that require you to read and think about the text are good, as was the leveling system.

However, the controls were clunky, the chance based spell casting annoying, and the non-regenerating mana was just stupid. If you took morrowinds lore, and placed it within oblivions mechanics, it would be the greatest game evar.

oh wait.

If only it was a playable game! =(

I'd have to say that I didn't mind Oblivion. I think most of the difficulty people had with it was expecting it to be Morrowind 2.

If it comes down to which I played more, Morrowind wins, but Oblivion came to my stable late, and had significant problems with unfinishable quests: the fighters' guild one would crap out every time I finished the Hisst Sap mission, for instance; and I never did get final battle to run.

I suppose that was Bethesda's fault. I remember watching the trailers years ago, all the developer walkthroughs, and them being really excited about stuff like "Oh, you know how stupid it was to wiggle a probe/lockpick to pick a lock? We fixed that! :D Remember how the morrowind NPCs have no life, just stand around in exactly the same place all the time? We fixed that! :D Oh, and we got Patrick Stewert to help break up the voice actors a bit! :D"

And loads more. It didn't occur to anyone that the island of Vvardenfell itself, with it's people and culture, was a huge part of Morrowind, while Cyrodiil has no alien culture, not unless you dive into Shivering Isles. I could live without the culture, many people could not.

Yeah, except for the fact that I basically forced my girlfriend to install it last night. So, no saying it is bad doesn't mean that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, I'm so sorry that I didn't clarify my post more clearly, I was comparing it to Morrowind the whole time, I thought that was fairly obviously, apparantly not. Seriously clean the sand out of your vagina.

I attacked your reasoning, not you, chill out a bit.

*EDIT* Just to clarify - your reasoning being - the mods making oblivion a great game, or whatever it is you said, is not a good basis for saying a game is great/better than another game and would never be accepted anywhere, with anything.

Key Difference here; Oblivion/Modded Oblivion.

And on that point, I agree Modded Oblivion is a Great game. Oblivion is a Good game, but pales in comparison to Morrowind, therefor it is shit (compared to morrowind) HOWEVER, I would recommend it to other people, like my girlfriend, who I made install it just last night.

Edited by nukejockey

As it happens, you're all wrong. It's got nothing to do with Oblivion or Baldur's Gate or Morrowind, the fundamental truth that you're all missing is that it is RPG's themselves that suck, have always sucked, and will suck unto eternity.

When you play an RPG, whether it be Square JRPG's, fantasy RPG's, post apocalyptic RPG's or vampire RPG's, you're playing a godawful mess of suck and fail. You take a DVD-ROM that sucks, whack it right into your chosen system, and spend the next few weeks absorbing its festering suck-radiation right into your brain through your hands, ears and eyeballs.

RPG's are the black, cancerous growth on the poo-stained prostate of gaming.

Edited by Takoma

Yeah, except for the fact that I basically forced my girlfriend to install it last night. So, no saying it is bad doesn't mean that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, I'm so sorry that I didn't clarify my post more clearly, I was comparing it to Morrowind the whole time, I thought that was fairly obviously, apparantly not. Seriously clean the sand out of your vagina.

I attacked your reasoning, not you, chill out a bit.

*EDIT* Just to clarify - your reasoning being - the mods making oblivion a great game, or whatever it is you said, is not a good basis for saying a game is great/better than another game and would never be accepted anywhere, with anything.

Key Difference here; Oblivion/Modded Oblivion.

And on that point, I agree Modded Oblivion is a Great game. Oblivion is a Good game, but pales in comparison to Morrowind, therefor it is shit (compared to morrowind) HOWEVER, I would recommend it to other people, like my girlfriend, who I made install it just last night.

I'll just quote myself here.

I will never, ever, compare Oblivion to Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout etc (all of these I still own and enjoy). I made it very clear that Oblivion is NOT any of these games.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as I think it's crap and a waste of hard drive space unless heavily modified.

I don't think you're an idiot for liking it though, it's all a matte of taste.

haha thanks. And no hate or anything man, I've always had the utmost respect for you and your pencil art skills.

@Tak

bahaha I can't believe this exists =D http://www.sfrpg.com/

Now, I'd like to get back to reminiscing on "epic" single player PC games. Dunno about you guys, but I loved the original Black and White. :D