Sign in to follow this  
evo x

Thermal paste life expectancy

I'm currently using the thermal paste that came with my TRUE less than 12 months ago, i'm wondering what the life expectancy of the thermal paste is in the tube and how often it should be replaced on the heat sink.

I'm currently using the thermal paste that came with my TRUE less than 12 months ago, i'm wondering what the life expectancy of the thermal paste is in the tube and how often it should be replaced on the heat sink.

Should still be fine. I just recently reseated my true and applied A5 and my temps dropped 15c. Was probably loose though.

Cheers, just hoping it should be good for another 6 months or so.. but I spose thermal paste isn't that expensive.

If you were overclocking all the time, I'd change it every six months.

I use silicon paste and change it at least every year even though I rarely O/C.

depends on the paste

id say some would last for years without problems others will degrade fairly quickly

most should still work ok but you may get slightly better temps with a new application

although if the the hs moves a little on a old application of paste this could create air pockets and then a reapplication could provide a greater benefit

depends on the paste

id say some would last for years without problems others will degrade fairly quickly

most should still work ok but you may get slightly better temps with a new application

although if the the hs moves a little on a old application of paste this could create air pockets and then a reapplication could provide a greater benefit

And the heat does tend to dry it out somewhat.

i renewed my old gigabyte's 3870 and 4850 graphics cards thermal paste, and it was rock hard and stuck to the chip/heatsink like glue. 3870 was 3 years old, 4850 was going 2 years. i'd say it depends on the quality too. i used arctic silver thermal paste as a replacement, and have been using for my cpu's for a while and never really re-applied thermal paste to them unless i was changing the cpu itself :P i'd say 1 to 2 years if you have good quality paste just to be sure.

my AS5 lasted 4 years on the chip, temps never rose.

Yes it was dry, but no extra heat. It was still filling the nooks and crannies as it was supposed to. Its the advantage of having a 'metal' paste. once the paste is gone, the contacting bits are still there.

Yes it was dry, but no extra heat. It was still filling the nooks and crannies as it was supposed to. Its the advantage of having a 'metal' paste. once the paste is gone, the contacting bits are still there.

I'm yet to be convinced.

i got to re seat mine, its not ocd and its running 68 idle deg

stable, before i fiddled with it, it was running at 90 deg.

heatsink needs a lap too.

Most sinks come pretty smooth these days.

I haven't lapped one for a few years now.

I'm yet to be convinced.

Well, if there WAS a temp rise, it was so small i didnt notice. Im heat obsesed, i keep an eye on temps at all times.

The issue you will have is that once it dries and goes rock hard, cracks may form in it.

If there are cracks, there may be places the chip isn't contacting the heat exchanger and you will have an uneven distribution of heat. This will cause the chip to undergo variable heat stress, which isn't pleasant.

The issue you will have is that once it dries and goes rock hard, cracks may form in it.

If there are cracks, there may be places the chip isn't contacting the heat exchanger and you will have an uneven distribution of heat. This will cause the chip to undergo variable heat stress, which isn't pleasant.

Very well put.

MS.......I only start freaking out when I notice it slowing down.........then check the temp and it's over 80!

Most sinks come pretty smooth these days.

I haven't lapped one for a few years now.

the smoothness was fine, the flatness was the issue.

also, it is a few years old, so is the cpu :3

taken the metal back so its flat now, now to make it smooth.

i like to pull everything out and apart every 6 months to clean and re-seat.

lapping ftw :)

The good stuff like AS5 will last a few years.

It doesn't really expire. It just degrades and you'll notice a temperature rise.

The good stuff like AS5 will last a few years.

It doesn't really expire. It just degrades and you'll notice a temperature rise.

I think that's what he meant.

As others have said, it should be about once a year. If you are hard on your computer, it can be more often. By the way what kind of thermal paste you like to use? Recently I have tried this stuff. Its nanodiamond thermal grease. Works pretty great but the price is a bit steeper. Definitely more of a high-end solution. :)

As others have said, it should be about once a year. If you are hard on your computer, it can be more often. By the way what kind of thermal paste you like to use? Recently I have tried this stuff. Its nanodiamond thermal grease. Works pretty great but the price is a bit steeper. Definitely more of a high-end solution. :)

Just how steep is the price for them to hide it, and justify an 8 year old topic filled with people who don't visit anymore?

Jaycar have been selling it for a few years https://www.jaycar.com.au/heatsink-compound-3g-syringe-with-applicator/p/NM2018

8 bucks and enough in the tube for several applications at least and I've gotten a good couple of years out of an application with reapplication mainly due to rebuilding the system.

Fairly sure I used it on my current i7-4790 and it runs reasonably cool, build was a little over a year ago and in conjunction with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212X which in itself represents a huge leap over the stock junk.

But all that aside, isn't the (reverse pun) hot stuff these days the liquid metal?

Looking at that page again, they're selling commercial quantities by the looks - it'd be madness to keep more than you need for a few months if you're building, given that something better seems to pop up every few years.

• Like 1