Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
evo x

Thermal paste life expectancy

Jaycar have been selling it for a few years https://www.jaycar.com.au/heatsink-compound-3g-syringe-with-applicator/p/NM2018

8 bucks and enough in the tube for several applications at least and I've gotten a good couple of years out of an application with reapplication mainly due to rebuilding the system.

Fairly sure I used it on my current i7-4790 and it runs reasonably cool, build was a little over a year ago and in conjunction with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212X which in itself represents a huge leap over the stock junk.

But all that aside, isn't the (reverse pun) hot stuff these days the liquid metal?

Looking at that page again, they're selling commercial quantities by the looks - it'd be madness to keep more than you need for a few months if you're building, given that something better seems to pop up every few years.

Still a pile of shit compared to Gelid GC Extreme.

Non conductive.

Thermal conductivity (W/mK):8.5 (compared to yours at 3.8)

http://gelidsolutions.com/thermal-solutions/thermal-compound-gc-extreme-10g-2/

• Like 1

Gelid GC Extreme is all I have been using lately for every build. It's a bit thick but easy to work with without worry.

Gelid GC Extreme is all I have been using lately for every build. It's a bit thick but easy to work with without worry.

Where are you buying it?

I'm having a hard time sourcing it without paying triple price thanks to shipping.

:)

Arctic Silver works fine for me but I do spend up a bit on good heat sinks, usually Zalman for server builds, never had to replace it and that would be twenty plus servers that I look after.

i always have temp alarms set, but never received one. :)

I think we tend to worry too much about temps, modern CPUs do'nt seem to care much, designed to work at higher temps.

Strange subject though, in the olden days 486 CPUs used to work fine without a sink at all :)

Cheers

Arctic Silver works fine for me but I do spend up a bit on good heat sinks, usually Zalman for server builds, never had to replace it and that would be twenty plus servers that I look after.

I think we tend to worry too much about temps, modern CPUs do'nt seem to care much, designed to work at higher temps.

Strange subject though, in the olden days 486 CPUs used to work fine without a sink at all :)

Cheers

Why do people like\still use arctic silver?

It's a terrible performer by todays standards, but even worse it's CONDUCTIVE, and it's expensive compared to the better pastes.

Or is it just that it's still kicking around the house unfinished yet?

Cheers

Why do people like\still use arctic silver?

It's a terrible performer by todays standards, but even worse it's CONDUCTIVE, and it's expensive compared to the better pastes.

Or is it just that it's still kicking around the house unfinished yet?

It's never given me any trouble and whist it can be a bit expensive here it isn't in the U.S so I get some sent over from time to time.

i sort of query if you understand the physics at work here, paste can only produce a better bond between hsf and cpu and silver is one of the better conductors of thermal energy.

Naturally you should keep it away from traces etc, but that's just careful building, a copper based paste might be a little better but copper is VERY conductive and corrodes fast under heat as well.

Arctic silver, with whom I have no affiliation whatsoever,r is not particularly conductive, at all because it is a blend of silver and ceramic particles, not just silver as some think.

I've seen a lot of hoopla about pastes in reviews of late, it's a load of crap, all you want is a thermal path TOO the hsf, the paste is not going to do anything to dissipate heat, that's the HSF's job, you just need good thermal conductivity to the hsf and in my testing Arctic Silver does a perfectly fine job of that.

The problem is a quite simple one, you can lap an HSF all you want but the surface of a CPU is outside your control, paste merges the two.

Cheers

Conductivity isn't necessarily the main concern. For "someone else's" computer you want something that doesn't need reapplying every 18 months. Problem is, the reapplication timeframe is usually inversely proportional to how good the thermal characteristics are.

But regardless of that, if it's something living in a nice chilled server room or even AC'd office, you can get away with something closer to stock.