Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
1shot1kill

Mr. Rudd is financially responsible.

Paying them more only attracts more shysters to the game.

I think the parliament was a better place before 90% of them were lawyers.

Do you have any logical basis for this?

Most pollies with a clue can make tons more in private companies. Why should talented people be politicians?

Typical ACA/Today Tonight bogan garbage zzzzz.

Paying them more only attracts more shysters to the game.

I think the parliament was a better place before 90% of them were lawyers.

Do you have any logical basis for this?

Most pollies with a clue can make tons more in private companies. Why should talented people be politicians?

Typical ACA/Today Tonight bogan garbage zzzzz.

Bullshit.

Most can only make a quid AFTER politics be cause of the contacts they gained and maintain on the taxpayers watch.

I'm actually thinking Logic may be right on this one. The political process doesn't seem to be too merit-based... Most pollies seem to be random bums who managed to get on the popularity bandwagon and get elected.

Frankly I wonder if it wouldn't be preferable to put in some merit-based selection criteria instead of having their election based 100% on votes.

Frankly I wonder if it wouldn't be preferable to put in some merit-based selection criteria instead of having their election based 100% on votes.

Who would assess it?

I'm actually thinking Logic may be right on this one. The political process doesn't seem to be too merit-based... Most pollies seem to be random bums who managed to get on the popularity bandwagon and get elected.

very bad idea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy

Basically you end up with egmaniacs who think they know best and are bad at taking advice.

At least with the current system, the ministers know they are not experts and rely on the advice of the department - even if it does not appear that way.

Who would assess it?

No idea...

very bad idea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy

Basically you end up with egmaniacs who think they know best and are bad at taking advice.

At least with the current system, the ministers know they are not experts and rely on the advice of the department - even if it does not appear that way.

Fair enough, I guess I'm clutching at straws...

Get rid of the post-political career incentives (free flights, etc) and pay them more now - more competition for the top job, higher calibre of employee.

Sure, there's always going to be the Sol Trujilos, but the general results will be positive IMHO.

Isn't the whole election campaigning process the merit selection process?

Nah not really, I don't see a popularity contest as a merit selection process. Most voters are dumb bastards, since most people are dumb bastards. I generally tend to only view expert opinion as being worth listening to - I call the plumber for plumbing problems and the electrician for electrical problems. Not vice versa. I'd call a management expert for management problems, instead of leaving it open to every Tom, Dick and Harry in the country.

The only problem with anything less than full democracy is that it can be abused by corrupt cliques. Full democracy ensures a minimum level of honesty and representation in government, but that's all. That's important, but I don't think it does anything to improve competence.

Nah not really, I don't see a popularity contest as a merit selection process.

The election campaigning process isn't a popularity contest, IMO.

The only problem with anything less than full democracy is that it can be abused by corrupt cliques. Full democracy ensures a minimum level of honesty and representation in government, but that's all. That's important, but I don't think it does anything to improve competence.

What is 'full democracy'?

I just give thanks that we have a $15/hour minimum wage, rather then the much lower ones in the US. Id especially hate to live in Montana and work for a small business, they only have to pay $4/hour

How the hell can anyone live on that?

I am SO GLAD I live in Australia!

This is why I will NEVER forgive the Libs for bringing in workchoices under the old Howard regieme. That was the single biggest attack on Australian working conditions since the Minimum wage concept was first instituted.

It's because we have a two party system, rather than a multi-party system.

It works pretty good in the main except it fosters party hacks and professional pollies.

Mind you, you really have to work to get there........or kiss a lot of arse.

Our forefathers had great foresight by giving us the Senate where we can pretty much have our cake and eat it too, although, little by little, the pollies are diluting their power and with it, the power of the people.

Just like they have done with schooling.

All this merit based bullshit is pretty much how good you suck your teacher's cock....or lick her clit.

The dumbing down of Australia is nearing completion as most of the populace believe the bullshit they are constantly fed.

It's very annoying, to say the least.

Nah not really, I don't see a popularity contest as a merit selection process.

The election campaigning process isn't a popularity contest, IMO.

Oh well, I do. Many policies presented by pollies are ones they clearly seem to not believe in, yet they mouth them in public just to be liked by the electorate.

What is 'full democracy'?

One where everyone gets an equal vote, regardless of how good they are at choosing governments.

How the hell can anyone live on that?

The same way someone in Russia can live quite comfortably on US$100 per month.

$4 is obviously enough in Montana and is roughly equivalent to your $15 in Australia.