Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
gabber

Atomic Photo-a-Week LIV

DEADLINE: FRIDAY 11 June 2010

Week 54 of our weekly event (Thread title back to normal)

These fine folk posted in previous weeks:

- 80mercury

- Antraman

- Athiril

- Caelum

- Chancellor

- CokeMan

- eat_the_flag

- gabber *

- Genisis X

- h3viw8

- hectorbustnuts

- Hoonbernator

- index680i

- jake.f

- JediKnight

- Mac Dude

- Malkieri

- mecon2

- michael.jenkin

- motiv *

- Oomph

- orinjuse

- Red_Knight

- seehund

- segger

- siegfried *

- simpletest/MandoTiM *

- slimdog360

- sora3

- SquallStrife

- stadl

- stash

- Takoma

- TheFrunj *

- The Tick

- thesorehead

- TinBane

- unclebigdave

- .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

- _sentinel

* = This week's submission posted!

New posters this week:

The idea is to get us to get out there and take photos, so nothing from your archive.

Edited by gabber

Both from the S90

Not so convenient roadworks (only a few metres from the end of my driveway =\)

Posted Image

"It'll fit..."

Posted Image

I almost feel embarrassed to post my photos here, but here goes.

I took these yesterday at some beach near Lake Macquarie.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The one of the sunset is good. Nice framing. Could be improved with some high dynamic range processing but that's fairly advanced stuff as far as photoshoping goes ;)

Don't feel embarressed, we've all had to start somewhere ;)

What camera are you using for those?

-X

I have a Canon Ixus 70, which I used for these, and an EOS 500 (when I have money for film, and can find a scanner)

I'd like to get more tips on composition and generally improving my skills. Photography is fun.

I almost feel embarrassed to post my photos here, but here goes.

Bollocks to that! There's no photog snobbery going on here. The more the merrier I say.

Pic 3 is my fave. Apart from some creative cropping to improve them a bit all 3 pics are good. Just keep snapping away :)

Hi All,

Have not posted in a while so I'll put a couple up taken over the last few weeks.

Critique welcome

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rob

Hi All,

Have not posted in a while so I'll put a couple up taken over the last few weeks.

Critique welcome

Rob

Do like the first, the B&W background sets off the flower and the bee perfectly, perhaps a bit busy (buzzy?) in the background and a little blur might work wonders here but otherwise a great photo that uses selective colour properly.

I also like the second but not as much as the first, perhaps some straightening of the horizon? I suppose I'm not sure where my eyes are drawn...

now, as suggested last night some more of "Vivid" from the streets of Sydney. Have done some minor tweeks, hopefully they will come out of it ok...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hi All,

Critique welcome

Rob

Nice colour isolation on the first one! Looks great.

The B+W is good, but it feels like I've seen that photo a million times for some reason...

-X

motiv, nice bee! Reminds me of a shot (crappier than your one) that I took a year and a half ago. They're bloody tricky buggers, just don't stay still. A f2.8 macro would make it easier, but still not 'easy'.

I've yet to have time to take anything special, so here's my sub that I've thrown on the FB. Taken at a teppenyaki restaurant in the foodcourt beneath the Taipei 101:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Did the photos for a mates wedding on the weekend. Stressful shit for an amateur!

Converted to B&W and tinted it in photoshop and adjusted the lighting with an omni directional light effect to create a subtle vignette. ISO 1600 55mm f/4.0 1/100sec.

-X

Edited by Genisis X

Thanks for the critiques guys, Always appreciate it. I need to look at picking up a better macro lens as the above bee shot was at F5.6 (fastest). Currently digging around for a good f2.8 1:1.. but that costs a heap of Moolah..

BTW Genisis, Very very nice wedding pic for an amateur, sure looks pro there. You get that gooey feeling when looking at it. Top stuff on the PP.

And I can agree with you as being stressful, I had done a wedding for a new zealander Couple.. Lets just say I had a hard time getting through the crowd... Worst is, some drunk chick was playing with my camera and had set my ISO to 3200 for my indoor shots, 150 shots down the drain..

Oh, And with my treepath.. I also keep seeing it everywhere, that's why I decided to give it a shot (pun intended)

@ Mando, when did these light shows happen? I must of missed something, I like the vividness to it.

Rob

@ Mando, when did these light shows happen? I must of missed something, I like the vividness to it.

Rob

end may to late June (think it ends the 20th or 22nd). Between the hours of 6pm (or 7) and midnight. They look great and I wish they'd leave them on longer.

Vividness, yes hence the name of the Festival "Vivid".

Agree with your comments on the Wedding Photo, a great shot. Every so often you luck out and get the shot you wanted, the difference for the Professional is that they do it more regularly. I also had some experience doing the same gig many years ago, never again, too much hassle and heartburn, particularly using film. That's why I'm a happy Amateur....