Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
lewis0076

Your First Concert

Needless to say, I am a concert virgin. I am yet to experience such adrenaline and excitement that is a concert :(

I'd recommend nitro's band's first gig for you.

Needless to say, I am a concert virgin. I am yet to experience such adrenaline and excitement that is a concert :(

Always wise to start at the bottom.

First concert (and still favourite) - Led Zeppelin at Sydney Showground Feb 1972.

And Google helped the aging memory -

1972, February 27 - Sunday

Setlist: Out On the Tiles (introduction) / Black Dog, Stairway To Heaven, Going To California, That’s the Way, Tangerine, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Dazed and Confused, What Is and What Should Never Be, Moby Dick, Rock and Roll, Whole Lotta Love, Communication Breakdown, organ solo, and Thank You.

Wow. I hate you.

roxette - end of high school

never ask me that question again

Nothin' wrong with that.

So, during "She's got the look", did everyone sing...

"Na na na, na na-na na. She's got the clap!"

Always wise to start at the bottom.

Being the first is good.

First concert (and still favourite) - Led Zeppelin at Sydney Showground Feb 1972.

Setlist: Out On the Tiles (introduction) / Black Dog, Stairway To Heaven, Going To California, That’s the Way, Tangerine, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Dazed and Confused, What Is and What Should Never Be, Moby Dick, Rock and Roll, Whole Lotta Love, Communication Breakdown, organ solo, and Thank You.

Wow. I hate you.

Was fun times. Not too sure about that setlist though.

Memory seems to vary greatly from that list. I am vaguely sure they started with the Immigrant Song.

BTW if my memory eventually serves me correctly the tickets cost about $4 or $5.

Edited by Harvey

My first major concert was probably Big Day out 2006.

It was the year with the White Stripes, Iggy Pop and Franz Ferdinand. Was pretty sweet first experience ... but I was 20-21 so started fairly late. I think I was too poor as a student to go to anything big before that.

I can't remember, but the first concert I can really remember is Baby Animals are Panther's Leagues circa 1994... That was awesome. I've never drank so much so quickly in all my life, and somehow still managed to enjoy the concert as it started straight after a massive spew that made me feel a lot better.

Daft Punk - 2007

Dude!

i'm so sorry...

you have experienced pure digital bliss, there is no lower benchmark for you...

*hug*

INXS, Shaboo Shabah tour at the Darwin Amphitheatre in the mid 80's.

I miss the INXS of the Michael Hutchence era, they rocked.

Big Day out in 1991 but damned if I know who played

My first real concert was Bryan Ferry in 1995 at the State Theater.

It was another 11 - 12 years before I attended another and in that year I saw NIN (fantastic), A Perfect Circle (Awesome) and Slipknot (Blew Goat) all at the Hordern Pavillion.

Edited by SacrificialNewt

Gah long time ago. It was either Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs or Max Merrit and the Meteors in about 1971/72 in the Hobart Town Hall. Brother in Law shouted my and my younger brother to it for his 13th birthday.

Next would have been Dutch swing College Band about a year later in the Launceston Town Hall, followed by The Skyhooks Living in the Seventies tour in 1975.

Wow. I hate you.

Was fun times. Not too sure about that setlist though.

Memory seems to vary greatly from that list. I am vaguely sure they started with the Immigrant Song.

BTW if my memory eventually serves me correctly the tickets cost about $4 or $5.

They cost way more than that, I think.

Was Free the support act and they broke up after that gig?

Bodyjar and One Dollar Short at the Evans Theatre in 2002.

Then Grinspoon and Front End Loader.

First major one... Silverchair/Grinspoon/Jebediah at the Entertainment Centre in Townsville. Were in the seats but stuck down into the moshpit and it was amazing. Have no favourite so far, could be either Tool or Karnivool i think. Seeing Jonsi in a few months in Sydney and that will surely be amazing!

First concert, was some school thing...

Favourite concerts would have to have been;

Hilltop Hoods at Newcastle Uni in ~06

True Live at the Metro

True Live and Paris Wells at the Basement

TZU, Butterfingers and MC Lars at Newcastle Panthers

Hilltop and The Herd at Groovin The Moo in maitland in 06 - Also where I found out about True Live

I have given up on buying concert tickets now though, I tend to feel tired or sick, and end up not going.

Walked out on KottonMouth Kings before the opening act because I was tired and hungry.

Walked out on Hilltop at the Hordern late last year, because I was not in the mood for an all ages gig where there was 13 year olds playing chase in the mosh pit.

Didn't go to Urthboy twice because of 1st time; Parents were up and forgot, 2nd; Felt crook.

Didn't see Phrase at the Annandale because my missus was sick, and wasn't gonna go without her.

:)

You do know how old I am, right?

I THINK, the first was Matthew Southern Comfort, and who the hell remembers them ? One hit wonder that did a Joni Mitchell cover, however they were backed by an early incantation of Fairport Convention, so it would have been about '68 and it was in a Uni hall in a place called Effingham, which possibly only Outcast knows exists :)

My bike was refusing to start, yes, you could ride at 16, so my girl and I bussed in and hitched back, from a place called Fetcham. (Get some interesting place names in Surrrey :)

Best? I've no idea, Carly Simon was pretty hot in NYC, Linda Ronstadt was excellent in Adelaide, so was Rickie Lee Jones, the Stones in Hyde Park one year, Renaissance in their early days in a church basement in Dorking, yet again in Surrey, the venue happened to have brilliant acoustics.

Then again Joe Cocker live in Kings Park here in Perth a few years back was pretty awesome, bitter-sweet memories....

I missed the Whitlams here, I was the other side of the planet, but I'm told it was brilliant, oh, and of course, Deep Purple in their best days, I forget where, somewhere in Europe, stunning.

My tastes in music are best defined as "I have none, I like it all" as defined, about himself, by a best friend, I even love classical, and I forget his name, Igor Pogo-something, superb pianist, had to stop when he busted a string, that was one magical night, in Adelaide.

Half the bands you guys talk about I don't even know, but then again that possibly goes both ways :)

Cheers

First was Dead Kennedys at the Trade Union Club in Sydney, I think it was 1983...i was still in high school.

Best one, that's tough...toss up between Talking Heads at Narara '84, Stevie Ray Vaughn at the Hordern or Sade at the Ent Cent.

:)

You do know how old I am, right?

I THINK, the first was Matthew Southern Comfort, and who the hell remembers them ? One hit wonder that did a Joni Mitchell cover, however they were backed by an early incantation of Fairport Convention, so it would have been about '68 and it was in a Uni hall in a place called Effingham, which possibly only Outcast knows exists :)

Cheers

Never heard of Matthew Southern Comfort. :P

As for the rest /envy.

I went to The Living End in 2000 at a free concert in Broken Hill.

It was great :)

whilst I was still in primary school, I snuck over to the local high school one weekend - the Easybeats, Billy Thorpe & the Aztecs, and Ray Brown & the Whispers were playing some kind of 2SM (or 2UW) promotional thing.

;)

My first live gig was The Ups and Downs, at the Harold Park Hotel (which doesn't even exist any more) in '88 or '89. Interesting note: the lead singer of The Ups and Downs went on to front Big Heavy Stuff, for whom Eliiot Fish, ex Hyper editor, also played bass.

First stadium gig, though, was The Cure. They played the Entertainment Center in 1992, following the album Wish. Saw them both nights, and even camped out for tickets - still one of the best gigs I've ever seen, and I've seen them on every subsequent tour too.

I think the last live act I saw, though, was Sigur Ros, at the Hordern Pavillion a couple of years ago.