strikey

iPhone 4 and HTC Andriod Opinions

I have been looking for a new phone for a while but haven't been really able to justify it since my ipod has been working fine and my phone makes calls and lets me message people. Unfortuanetly my water bottle leaked in my bag and now my ipod is freezing randomly :(.

The phones I am looking at getting is the iPhone 4 or the HTC Evo (I don't believe the Evo has been released in Australia yet and im not sure if it will be and when). I have used an iPhone before and it is very easy to use and intuitive, however I haven't used an android based phone, what is android like compared to the iPhone os?

I have seen the new iPhone specs and they seem quite good (the display sounds really good). The one thing I am bummed about is they didn't upgrade the capacity to 64gb :(.

Also what is the Android app store like compared to Apples?, I have had a look it in the past but what are the apps like in terms of quality and pricing.

So for anyone who has used the iPhone and/or a HTC phone running Android what are your thoughts on the devices?

if you're looking at a HTC, desire is the way to go for now, apparently the Evo Wont work on the network here as it is CDMA. so i've been told.

Well the EVO would be pointless here, it's designed to work on Sprint's WiMax network. No Australian carrier has such a network, so yeah.

I have a HTC Desire on the NextG network (Telstra has an exclusive for the next few months, so either you get one from them, and I recommend the business plans, or you buy outright and use another carrier). I reckon it's the shiz -- apps galore, a great pace of development for the platform. Android 2.1 with Sense UI is a winner in my book too -- 7 home screens, all customisable, HTC apps and widgets installed out of the box.

For the record, customers that sign up to the Desire from Telstra on a plan before 30 June get 3 months free (!) of Mobile Foxtel, their everything package. Pretty sweet if you ask me, it's awesome to watch American Dad and Family Guy on Fox 8 Mobile on the train, lol.

I have found the UI to be very intuitive. Probably not as intuitive as the iPhone, but certainly more sophisticated in that Sense supports configurable home screens with widgets and shortcuts and all that jazz. Apps are not always super polished, but they are rated by users, and the apps with 4 or 5 star (out of 5) ratings are awesome. There are about 20,000 apps in total available in Australia atm, with more coming (50,000-ish available globally across all app stores) and plenty of gems in there.

In short, as far as user experience goes, if you're even remotely technically savvy you'll enjoy exploring all the features and apps available on teh Desire, and the UI is still pretty and intuitive enough that you never really need to open the manual to figure stuff out. Telstra gets a bad rap IMO, but I've found their retail store staff to be very helpful and knowledgeable, so I deal with them and not the call centre.

Telstra charges me $65/month on a business plan, no handset repayments. I added on a $19/mo optional data pack, which gives me an extra 1GB on top of the 300MB included in the plan. Not bad if you ask me. Network coverage is *vastly* better than 3 mobile (who I upgraded from) and the speed is absurdly fast -- 3Mb downstream on a phone is fucking amazing I reckon. Who needs 4G? lol

Hope that helps.

+1 to what Apocrypha said. I have the Google Nexus One with HTC Desire modaco 2.1 ROM.

I think it's difficult to judge since, I'm guessing, nobody who has posted so far has held an iPhone 4 :)

I'm in the same boat as you strikey.

I was watching a video of three dudes comparing various Android phones to the new iPhone. They were pretty wanky, but one comment stuck with me - the different OS's are for different markets. The iPhone is aimed at a consumer 'multimedia' market, while Android is aimed at the enthusiast market.

It sounded like Windows versus Linux.

You can get under the covers with Android and tinker, if that's what you want to do. On the other hand, for the foreseeable future, more apps will be available, and faster on the iPhone, but how many apps can you really use.

On the hardware side, the screen on the Desire looks great indoors, but I found it more difficult to read than the iPhone 3GS outdoors. I have no idea about the iPhone 4. The responsiveness of the Desire was great - very smooth. However, I didn't find the touch screen to be as accurate as the 3GS, and that was a problem for me.. Again, I have no idea about the iPhone 4. It has a new, possibly kick arse screen, but again, I'll have to wait an see. The Desire also has a micro sd slot supporting up to 32GB

For me, it's going to be based on :

* The clarity of the mic & speaker - it is supposed to be a phone, but I don't expect it to be a problem with either

* the readability of the display, both indoors and outside

* The accuracy of the touch screen - nothing pisses me off more

* The smoothness/responsiveness

I think they would both be great phones, it really depends what you're looking for...

Some interesting links :

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/214395,...not-to-buy.aspx

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/170630,...s-approach.aspx

EDIT : I do have a question for those who have had both an iPhone and an Android based phone. One of the biggest features I hear again and again and again is customisation. IPhones are 'locked down', while Android allows just about anything.

So what is the 'anything' that you have done to your Android phone? I'm curious as to what the most popular customisations are, what were you looking to do that you couldn't do with an iPhone? I've been to some Android forums, but I got sick of the 'because it's Apple' comments. If you can give me examples or point me to some useful Android sites regarding customisation I'd appreciate it!

Edited by Mac Dude

EDIT : I do have a question for those who have had both an iPhone and an Android based phone. One of the biggest features I hear again and again and again is customisation. IPhones are 'locked down', while Android allows just about anything.

So what is the 'anything' that you have done to your Android phone? I'm curious as to what the most popular customisations are, what were you looking to do that you couldn't do with an iPhone? I've been to some Android forums, but I got sick of the 'because it's Apple' comments. If you can give me examples or point me to some useful Android sites regarding customisation I'd appreciate it!

I'll start out by saying that while I have played around with iPhones, I haven't owned one, though I like to think I know enough about iPhone vs Android customisability to post this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Android offers the following:

Home screen customisation - Depending on your version of Android, you have 3-7 home screens to customise. This can include App shortcuts, widgets, or folders. There are even apps that offer alternate home screens that change up the way things are displayed.

Live wallpapers - IMO a gimmick that drains battery, but I have seen some cool ones that are nice to just have for a while. :)

Widgets - There is a huge variety of widgets. Widgets I used are an agenda view of my calendar, Task list, 3 day weather forecast, toggles for WiFi/GPS/Bluetooth, and a photo frame of my girlfriend (Yeah, even she thinks that's dorky). There are heaps more and a lot come with their own customisability i.e. size, colour, information to display.

Default programs - Got an app that works better than stock? Set it as the default.

Onscreen keyboard - The stock keyboard isn't as good as the iPhone's, but Swype is the betterer.

I'm sure others can add to or expand on this list.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately it seems the US gets all the latest Android phones with Australia trailing a few months behind or some of them not even being released here :(.

I might go to a Telstra shop and see if they have a desire I could play around with to see how it is. I'm fairly tech savvy however I don't see myself at this point wanting to code or look at any of it for the Andriod/iPhone, more just wanting some apps and customisation. One thing that I like with the iPhone is the consistency between released and generally everything still works on the older models, I am not sure how it is like for the android having a different combination of software/hardware running, are some apps restricted to certain hardware and/or software versions?

On the other hand I like the looks of the customisable home screen on the desire with the different widgets and shortcuts.

Another thing for another topic possibly is the different mobile networks performance and coverage.

Android offers the following:

Home screen customisation - Depending on your version of Android, you have 3-7 home screens to customise. This can include App shortcuts, widgets, or folders. There are even apps that offer alternate home screens that change up the way things are displayed.

Yep, I've heard about this one, the question is why to I want 3-7 home screens? Would I have say, one for work, one if I was on holiday showing info and apps relevant for my location, etc. I'm just guessing - what do people actually used this ability for? Sorry if it sounds dumb, I'm just trying to work out if I'll use it or not...

Live wallpapers - IMO a gimmick that drains battery, but I have seen some cool ones that are nice to just have for a while. :)

Agree on the battery life. Having said that, my windows mobile uses a blank screen as a screen saver normally, but uses a slide show when on power. I wonder if you can do something similar?

Widgets - There is a huge variety of widgets. Widgets I used are an agenda view of my calendar, Task list, 3 day weather forecast, toggles for WiFi/GPS/Bluetooth, and a photo frame of my girlfriend (Yeah, even she thinks that's dorky). There are heaps more and a lot come with their own customisability i.e. size, colour, information to display.

This sounds useful!

Default programs - Got an app that works better than stock? Set it as the default.

I guess this isn't a concern if you just choose the app you want to run, though if there are default start keys that's cool.

Onscreen keyboard - The stock keyboard isn't as good as the iPhone's, but Swype is the betterer.

So you can replace the stock keyboard? That IS great, especially if the stock one is ordinary. I think the keyboard is very important on devices like this...

I'm sure others can add to or expand on this list.

Thanks dude, appreciate the reply.

It's hard to know what I'll actually use and what I won't, of course the argument there is, with Android at least I have the choice!

I also believe that phones like the Desire have their own GUI on top of Android, and because of that not all of the customisation is available...I'll have to confirm that

Thanks again

I guess this isn't a concern if you just choose the app you want to run, though if there are default start keys that's cool.

It's more than that.

Good example:

I run an app called SIPDroid, which allows me to make calls via VoIP when I'm connected to my wifi at home.

While SIPDroid is running, the default phone dialer "app" is usurped, so that no matter how I initiate a call (from the kepyad, contacts list, link on a web page, etc) it is captured and placed through VoIP.

It's more than that.

Good example:

I run an app called SIPDroid, which allows me to make calls via VoIP when I'm connected to my wifi at home.

While SIPDroid is running, the default phone dialer "app" is usurped, so that no matter how I initiate a call (from the kepyad, contacts list, link on a web page, etc) it is captured and placed through VoIP.

Thanks dude. That's exactly the type of info I was looking for!

It's more than that.

Good example:

Nice.