Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
bolt_krank

Funky table

Apparently it cost 10s of thousands to develop :(

But I want one. Would use it as much as show it off though:

I found the site of the company that makes it : http://www.dbfletcher.com/capstan-table/

They've got manual versions too. Can't imagine how much they cost....

Edited by bolt_krank

Tens of thousands? hell, even a SINGLE ten thousand? My ASS.

The wood loks like oak, which while not cheap, is not the most expensive thing on the block.

And I know people doing engineering or robotics courses that could build you the mechanics after one trip to bunnings and supercheap.

If this is really selling for ten thousand im getting in the furniture business.

The wood loks like oak, which while not cheap, is not the most expensive thing on the block.

And I know people doing engineering or robotics courses that could build you the mechanics after one trip to bunnings and supercheap.

If this is really selling for ten thousand im getting in the furniture business.

Dude.

It's hand-crafted.

Even without the movement, it would cost over 10 grand.

PS. You couldn't make one.

I don't know if that's the cost of the table - it was just in the FAQ under development costs. So maybe buying the table is cheaper...

Just don't forget to take the lazy susan away before hitting the close button.

As much as I like.. wait, no Love this table,

I'll settle for this

Posted Image

$479 at Ikea

Rob

Dude.

It's hand-crafted.

My father could.

I suppose the rediculous rates 'hand crafters' charge would account for some of the cost.

It's a break down waiting to happen. No way this thing still works correctly and joints perfectly in two years time.

I think the following quote from their page may account for some of the cost -

"We can deliver anywhere in the world in a single shipment and then an installation technician, from the UK, completes the assembly on site.

We have no overseas agents, showrooms or installers, nor do we currently seek any."

Dude.

It's hand-crafted.

My father could.

I suppose the rediculous rates 'hand crafters' charge would account for some of the cost.

oh fucking get real. unless he actually does and you post a vid your just being a tosser

It's a break down waiting to happen. No way this thing still works correctly and joints perfectly in two years time.

I can't see why that should necessarily be the case... if the timber's seasoned properly it should retain its fit, and if the mechanism is properly engineered, it should be fine.

In short, if it's actually worth the money, it should last a lifetime.

Somehow I don t believe many of us here are part of their target market.

If you download their brochure they have a page quoting 'Interantional Boat' magazine -

"While the huge hangar door, the helicopter lift and extensive firefighting arrangements are impressive, the most awe inspiring piece of equipment on the aft deck is perhaps the circular dining table designed and built by David Fletcher.:

Hangar door? Helicopter lift? This is on a damn boat! And sure as hell one I, at least, will never earn enough to own (or rent or probably even breathe on).

I know I'm not in their marketing sights and please excuse me if I make the assumption about most here (not necessarily all though - someone with the initials DH may be in the market for a weekend runabout like this I guess).

Dude.

It's hand-crafted.

My father could.

oh fucking get real. unless he actually does and you post a vid your just being a tosser

hehe i wouldnt put it like that, MS, but i think he has a point.

whilst i may be wrong to underestimate your dad's potential mad skillz, i think theres more chance youre underestimating the design complexity required for elegance here.

I could build that mechanism from blu-tack and paperclips and guarantee it for 1,000 years.

Or not

I could build it from snot and pubes and guarantee it for 150 microseconds.

I couldn't build it...I think it's very fine.

I think it would last quite a while in a household with out children or drunken adults :)