Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Reb1rth.

New 2D MORTAL KOMBAT announced!

Warner Bros announced a new Mortal Kombat is in development for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Set for release in 2011, the new title will feature an all-new graphics engine, the return of brutal fatalities, and a "reinvention" of its classic 2D fighting mechanic. Long-time series creator Ed Boon once again returns to lead his team at his newly re-named NetherRealm Studios in Chicago.

"We can't wait for players to get their hands on Mortal Kombat," said Boon. "This game really is a response to what players have been demanding: mature presentation, reinvented 2D fighting mechanic and the best, most gruesome fatalities ever!"

The game will also include new features, such as a 4-player tag-team mode where players battle in teams of two against each other online. Fans can also enjoy the "deepest story mode of any fighting game" and an "extensive" lineup of the series' iconic characters.

"We are bringing the Mortal Kombat franchise back to gamers with the talented NetherRealm Studios team creating the game fans long to play," said Martin Tremblay, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "Re-establishing the brand with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Mortal Kombat innovates on past games while staying true to the brand's legendary characters and fighting style."

Posted Image

AWEEEEESOME!!!!

There seemed frightfully little blood in that clip, though.

Hopefully that's only so they can promote it to a wider audience.

Looks spanking though. And was that tag-teaming I saw in the later third?

I loved the return of Klose Kombat from "DC vs MK" with the bones crunching on Scorpion.

Fatalities look like they could be brutal, again, as long as they don't hold back on the blood and guts! At least they appear to be pre-set moves instead of the "Make your own".

the animations reminded me alot of the original games for some reason, very quick punches and kicks, lots of jumping

looks promising

Isn't Raiden dead?

Like that has stopped anything or anyone, ever.

I dunno, looks good. Severe lack of blood, as has been pointed out. If they're going to have fucked up fatalities like Kung Lao's at the end, surely less blood isn't going to give it a lesser rating.

On second viewing, it looks like a Reboot/remake of the first game with some new (extra) characters. The Arenas all look like three Dee versions of the first games levels, no sign of Tsung and no combat from Kahn. Not that this is a bad thing...

On second viewing, it looks like a Reboot/remake of the first game with some new (extra) characters.

It looks to me that they've gone the Capcom route and updated a classic for the new generation of gamers.

I like the idea and if they can improve/tinker with the gameplay from UMK3 I think they could be onto something. So long as they don't waste their time making stupid side games like kombat carts etc.

The Arenas all look like three Dee versions of the first games levels

I think that's a good thing, the first 3 games had by far some of the most interesting backgrounds compared to some of the latest games which didn't seem inspired at all.

Whatever happened to "don't feed the Tak". :P

But personally, i'm interested to see how it turns out.

-A-

[Edit: LOL @ Kung Lao fatality]

Edited by Ashlar

I think it looks great, I hope Kabal and Smoke (robot) get a gig. Sektor was in there so hopefully. Sub Zero looks ace as does a lot of those animations.

I wonder if it will actually arrive on PC without being 6 months behind like Vanilla SF4

It looks amazing!

Mortal Kombat is finally going back to its roots, which is nice.

I haven't enjoyed anything after Deadly Alliance.

I kinda wish they kept the MK series looking like the first one with the photorealistic models :P To me, that was part of its appeal.

lol at 2.5D :P

That looks mad! I will definately be getting this when it comes out. Raiden's not dead, hes awesome! Best character in MK, it wouldnt be MK without him :)

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>&hl=en&fs=1">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

This in 2.5d, oh god yes