scc

Windows XP and AC'97

I have a rather old tower that I have recently re-installed Windows XP SP2 on, however I noticed that the sound was not working and have been trying to correct this since then. The mother board had an on-board C-media AC'97 chip(set), when installing the drivers I was told that I needed something call Microsoft Bus Drivers installed first, while attempting to I have installed or attempted to install KB888111, KB 885311 and SP3 and still can't get it to work, does any one here have any idea on how to fix this? I know that fixing it is POSSIBLE (sound worked fine before re-install), but something seems to be blocking something else UAA never appears in the device manager and the C-media chip(set) in device manager says that it can't start up

Additional information: I intend to use the tower as a media center connected to a TV, with VLC and an old build of CCCP circa '08 to play files but this is not mandatory if anyone knows an Linux build that could handle this sort of work, let me know

I have encountered this issue at some point in the past but cannot remember what I did to get around it.

This thread seems to have the answers and the sequence of how you apply the patches seems important too.

Perhaps try uninstalling your audio drivers, apply the patches in the thread after installing SP3, get your sound working generically and then at that point the realtek drivers should apparently work.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums...a-a0e6960ff3dd/

I have to install the drivers from the mobo website first, and then patch with the realtek drivers otherwise no sound.

I have to install the drivers from the mobo website first, and then patch with the realtek drivers otherwise no sound.

Yep you need you mobo drivers installed first, that is why you have no bus drivers. So grab your mobo drivers from the manufactures web site and install them first, update windows to SP3 then install your sound drivers.

Yep you need you mobo drivers installed first, that is why you have no bus drivers. So grab your mobo drivers from the manufactures web site and install them first, update windows to SP3 then install your sound drivers.

You would normally think this but from what I remember it was actually a microsoft component which is missing. The error itself is a clue to this.

Normally you don't see this when sound card drivers are up to date and you are not using an older driver

Edited by The Tick

It appears I was thinking of sm bus drivers (Intel), the drivers he most likely needs are UAA bus drivers which he can get from here. :)

I recently had a laptop come through with a similar problem. The user wanted XP installed but as it shipped with Vista, no XP drivers were available.

My fix wasn't the cleanest but essentially I installed the UAA bus drivers mentioned by others then installed the XP drivers from a similar model that had XP support. After both were installed I needed to tell it to update the drivers manually (there was an exclamation mark against it in Device Manager) and it sorted itself out.

Ok, figured it out, the driver cd (or what I think is the driver cd) for the motherboard had a folder called audio/realtek 97, in there was a setup.exe that lunched install shield (like it was a normal app) once I ran this, I got sound, if your having similar problems look for something like this, still don't have UAA/Bus driver, but I don't seem to need it now, I'm guessing some one got feed up with MS not providing proper support and developed their own fix

Ok, figured it out, the driver cd (or what I think is the driver cd) for the motherboard had a folder called audio/realtek 97, in there was a setup.exe that lunched install shield (like it was a normal app) once I ran this, I got sound, if your having similar problems look for something like this, still don't have UAA/Bus driver, but I don't seem to need it now, I'm guessing some one got feed up with MS not providing proper support and developed their own fix

Normally you don't see this when sound card drivers are up to date and you are not using an older driver

Yes - they generally have the fix as part of the installation package. I didn't realise you were just browsing for the driver from Device Manager.