Sign in to follow this  
lightrevealed

Win7 ,,,,,,NOT GENUINE WTF?

The Tick; while everything you said is true and backing up the other mods decision, it did read as a little bullying. Especially the mass sarcasm ><. You too are an awesome guy, but trolls (who we ALL ARE from time to time) belong in the green room.

Sorry if my post was interpreted as bullying. I was attempting to be somewhat light hearted in my point that we don't call each other names as it is generally deemed the base form of a debating. It also grinds a thread to a halt when people start getting personal and serves no purpose to the discussion other than to kill it. I was also making a point of the "nancy boys" comment as I thought that it too was pretty stupid and my reply was to highlight how to attack the argument and not the person directly even though it was heavily laden with sarcasm. Clearly my powers of sarcasm beat his powers of name calling. My die roll of 15 beat his roll of 6. Now the thread has transitioned from a problem about Windows authentication to general manners and forum behaviour. See what I mean?

As far as the mods go, we are generally people too with an opinion. I find it rather ironic though that people would have a problem with maxx's post being deemed as sarcastic and nasty even though it was making a point about someone's whiny comments about Microsoft when posting in a Microsoft section looking for help about a Microsoft product, but get their nose out of joint when they are called out for making a personal attack. Are mod's not allowed to post too? Are we not allowed to comment on someone's ranting or call it out as a silly POV to take? We are following the FAQ and trying to add to the spirit of the forums while trying to perform a policing role that all of us wish were not necessary.

As for the last string of insults about "you guys and your forum suck", quite simply if people here can't conduct themselves with some decorum and respect (which is not really asking all that much) then what do you have? A forum with people getting pissy and nasty the minute they feel slighted? What a shit hole THAT would be and at that point you would see good people leaving in droves. In fact, that is what he is claiming is happening without realising that it happens everywhere - here being different in that the mod team gives a shit and doesn't allow it to progress too far. Even in the Green Room the same rules apply and are in place to stop this kind of thing from getting out of hand.

lightrevealed had a choice here - listen to what people are saying or get pissed off. It is possible to disagree with people without taking it personally. Sadly not many people seem to be able to do this and take any type of friction with their beliefs as an attack on their person. Look at how the thread started and where it's ending. Quite frankly, there would be nothing I could have said which didn't placate his beliefs that wouldn't have been taken out of context. Of course I contributed to his final tirade but equally, he could have looked past his indignation and seen my post for what it was.

Edited by The Tick

The Tick; while everything you said is true and backing up the other mods decision, it did read as a little bullying. Especially the mass sarcasm ><. You too are an awesome guy, but trolls (who we ALL ARE from time to time) belong in the green room.

Sorry if my post was interpreted as bullying. I was attempting to be somewhat light hearted in my point that we don't call each other names as it is generally deemed the base form of a debating. It also grinds a thread to a halt when people start getting personal and serves no purpose to the discussion other than to kill it. I was also making a point of the "nancy boys" comment as I thought that it too was pretty stupid and my reply was to highlight how to attack the argument and not the person directly even though it was heavily laden with sarcasm. Clearly my powers of sarcasm beat his powers of name calling. My die roll of 15 beat his roll of 6. Now the thread has transitioned from a problem about Windows authentication to general manners and forum behaviour. See what I mean?

As far as the mods go, we are generally people too with an opinion. I find it rather ironic though that people would have a problem with maxx's post being deemed as sarcastic and nasty even though it was making a point about someone's whiny comments about Microsoft when posting in a Microsoft section looking for help about a Microsoft product, but get their nose out of joint when they are called out for making a personal attack. Are mod's not allowed to post too? We are following the FAQ and trying to add to the spirit of the forums while trying to perform a policing role that all of us wish were not necessary.

As for the last string of insults about "you guys and your forum suck", quite simply if people here can't conduct themselves with some decorum and respect (which is not really asking all that much) then what do you have? A forum with people getting pissy and nasty the minute they feel slighted? What a shit hole THAT would be.

lightrevealed had a choice here - listen to what people are saying or get pissed off. It is possible to disagree with people without taking it personally. Sadly not many people seem to be able to do this and take any type of friction with their beliefs as an attack on their person.

Even in the Green Room there are rules here to stop this kind of thing from getting out of hand.

Tick, you just done it again man, sarcasm just runs through your vains, and I am not going to reply to your insulting sacrasm any longer.

@master scythe, thanks buddy, but no I dont see any point in looking at your forum any longer, there is more drama in here than an episode of days of our lives.

AFAIK you can buy an OEM version of Windows so long as you buy a piece of hardware, and apparently that includes mice and keyboards.

Nope doesn't apply any more, new rules about OEM licences. They can only be sold to a system builder who must use an OPK kit (OEM Preinstallation Kit) to pre-install windows on a PC that must then be sold to a third party.

http://oem.microsoft.com/public/sblicense/...nse_english.pdf

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=32040

A store can opt to supply you with the System Builder's Pack, leaving you to break the seal agreeing to deploy the software to a machine (i.e. making them an Authorised Supplier and you the System Builder).

Ye sure but the piece of hardware thing is long gone and no longer a requirement.

AFAIK you can buy an OEM version of Windows so long as you buy a piece of hardware, and apparently that includes mice and keyboards.

Nope doesn't apply any more, new rules about OEM licences. They can only be sold to a system builder who must use an OPK kit (OEM Preinstallation Kit) to pre-install windows on a PC that must then be sold to a third party.

http://oem.microsoft.com/public/sblicense/...nse_english.pdf

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=32040

A store can opt to supply you with the System Builder's Pack, leaving you to break the seal agreeing to deploy the software to a machine (i.e. making them an Authorised Supplier and you the System Builder).

Ye sure but the piece of hardware thing is long gone and no longer a requirement.

That's right, they don't have the term "critical hardware" any more. Check out the thread I linked.

If the seal is broken, they MUST sell it INSTALLED on a COMPLETE SYSTEM. If the seal is not broken (the software is still in the cardboard box/sleeve) then it can be supplied to you in its entirety, making you the system builder.

It's all in the link.

Sorry if my post was interpreted as bullying. I was attempting to be somewhat light hearted in my point that we don't call each other names as it is generally deemed the base form of a debating. <snip>

It is possible to disagree with people without taking it personally. Sadly not many people seem to be able to do this and take any type of friction with their beliefs as an attack on their person. <snip>

Quite frankly, there would be nothing I could have said which didn't placate his beliefs that wouldn't have been taken out of context. <snip>

Tick, you just done it again man, sarcasm just runs through your vains, and I am not going to reply to your insulting sacrasm any longer.

I rest my case.

That's right, they don't have the term "critical hardware" any more. Check out the thread I linked.

If the seal is broken, they MUST sell it INSTALLED on a COMPLETE SYSTEM. If the seal is not broken (the software is still in the cardboard box/sleeve) then it can be supplied to you in its entirety, making you the system builder.

It's all in the link.

This is true.

Even so, MSY seem to refuse to sell OEM copies of Windows unless purchased with an entire system (either assembled or as parts) where others are still happy to sell it with a Hard Drive or another piece of hardware.

This is true.

Even so, MSY seem to refuse to sell OEM copies of Windows unless purchased with an entire system (either assembled or as parts) where others are still happy to sell it with a Hard Drive or another piece of hardware.

Yep. Whether or not a supplier will on-sell sealed packs is their prerogative. Just take your business elsewhere. ;)

This is true. Even so, MSY seem to refuse to sell OEM copies of Windows unless purchased with an entire system (either assembled or as parts) where others are still happy to sell it with a Hard Drive or another piece of hardware.

Msy at Bundamba will sell it to by itself, as long as you are a system builder :)

Edited by bowiee

This is true. Even so, MSY seem to refuse to sell OEM copies of Windows unless purchased with an entire system (either assembled or as parts) where others are still happy to sell it with a Hard Drive or another piece of hardware.

Msy at Bundamba will sell it to by itself, as long as you are a system builder :)

Ah, guess the mexicans have a different policy :)

@master scythe, thanks buddy, but no I dont see any point in looking at your forum any longer, there is more drama in here than an episode of days of our lives.

LOL, very true at times, but often thats because atomic is just as offline as it is online. We meet the editors and writers at events, the forum members meet up with the others in each state regularly, and so on. we know how to bitch at each other without hitting a nerve. Yourself, however, are new.

As a TERRIBLE example, my mate lost his mum about a year ago. If i make a 'ya mum' joke toward him without thinking, he doesnt give two shits and laughs if it was quick witted at the time. This is OK because he KNOWS i respect him and I wasnt trying to be a fuckhead. Anyone else does it and BAM, he's instantly annoyed because he doesnt know the persons true intent.

And to be a blunt speaker myself; If you think atomic has drama, you're kidding yourself. Go spend 10 minutes on whirlpool (anywhere), general chat of OCAU, or any of the other australian tech forums. This place is the nicest. Better yet, go to any of said places and try to get help. IF you fo get it, try to get CORRECT help.

This place is full of intelligent people, even the 'noobs' have an area they try to help in (social skills, medical, etc. Green Room stuff). Dont base your judgement on staying on the few who acted abruptly, base it on whether you're able to ignore the drama and have some really deep tech discussion. If you are, stay, ask, share. If you're not. Sorry to sound like an ass, but cya!

And thats enough of being off topic in this tech thread. If i keep going it'll get locked.

content.... ah.. MSY at Morningside also has no qualms with selling the builders pack. Nor does umart at Milton (both QLD) I always have to argue with MSY, but they always phone whoevers in charge and get the OK. Never left empty handed.

True, have bought oem copies with no hardware from gamedude, umart at milton and eight mile plains too.

But pc shopper at greenslopes would not do it, and told me it would take em 3 days to get it in, so eh, I went back to umart on that one.

Back on topic, I have a complete backup of my original drive and OS on a crummy little 160gb drive, I will fire that up tonight to see if it still has the licence key and activation status available.

Now I think about it, when I installed battlefield bad company the pc power went out for about half a second half way through install, this problem happened I think the next day, not sure if it could have done something but possible?

the pc power went out for about half a second half way through install, this problem happened I think the next day, not sure if it could have done something but possible?

Possibly yes, power outages can cause a bent registry or similar.

Have you actually tried a system restore yet? may be worth a shot.

I had this happen to my OEM Win7 the other day....after an update :(

Needless to say, I reinstalled when re-imaging didn't work, but I still had to call MS to verify it as a legit copy.

I hate having to input a 48 digit number, but It's all good in the end.

The woman that sold me my Win7 professional made very clear to put the word 'software' on the receipt, instead of 'windows 7 professional'.

I was not sold any hardware.

Yes, I build systems, mostly for myself.

I had this happen to my OEM Win7 the other day....after an update :(

Happened to one of my home clients using Vista SP2 a few days ago as well. She didn't need to reinstall or anything, just use the telephone system to give the verification numbers... and a confirmation number was given back by the automated system without any need to talk to an actual person or choose an option as to why the number needs validating.

Took all of 4 minutes to fix, I'm pretty used to typing in all the numbers.

Edited by tantryl

Yeah, I tried to restore/re-image, and finally a reinstall in order to avoid the 48 digit number, my typing is not that good/fast :(

Next time I'll just make the call :P

Edit:I'll also hand-write the number down, that I can do relatively fast :D

Edited by datafast69

Sounds like Windows Update has struck again.

Mine says I have 421 critical updates to be installed!

Last time it rooted my TV card!

Sounds like Windows Update has struck again.

Mine says I have 421 critical updates to be installed!

Last time it rooted my TV card!

"421 critical updates" Bloody hell!....that's just crazy.

"Last time it rooted my TV card!"

Thanks for that very odd mental image o.O

:)

my computers told me windows is non genuine a few times on boot, but once it gets into windows and connects to the net it re-activates and away it goes.

ive had to call MS a few times re-activating windows. twice for myself, and countless more for clients computers. easy enough done and only takes a few mins. i did it once for vista when i upgraded and changed everything bar the HDD and they didnt even bat an eyelid when i explained that i had only changed the HDD XP

I also think that "play the ball not man" refers to you response to Count saying that you can't buy an OEM version of windows.

No, it refers to him saying "you are a tool mate" which is just not on.

Quite right.

Substitute "ball" with the word "argument" and "man" with "person".

Excellent

You can buy Windows 7 Professional under a educational licence through itsnotcheating for $50 instead of $119.

im a student i can get only when i go on the site it says it $119 i have no idea if thats right or not.

how did you do it?