Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×

Hi,

My desktop is sitting on the dining room table at the moment, and is taking up to much room - i am looking at an upgrade soon, and am looking at a Shuttle SX58J3 Barebone XPC (I have the video card) - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14460

Is this worth it over a good quality windows 7 laptop (I like the Toshiba ones)?

Also, i am a bit confused over what the barebones is, will it have CPU, and RAM? I got plenty of storage on my desktop i can plugin...

The Next-Generation Gaming PC Unleashed! The Shuttle SX58J3 minimizes enclosure space while provides greater flexibility to hardcore gamers. Supports Intel X58/ICH10R LGA1366, 4x DDR3, 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16, 7.1 Ch HD Audio, eSATA,USB,GbE LAN, 500W PSU. CPU/HDD/RAM not included. The Shuttle SX58J3 minimizes enclosure space while provides greater flexibility to hardcore gamers.

off the pccg website.

in terms of performance it will depend on what you put in there.

So basically i am looking at a ibtx mobo and a case with a brand name on it?

If that's the deal, are there any other micro case brands around that i might be able to purchase instead?

You could get something like the SG05 and then choose your own mini-itx mobo, cpu, hdds, ram, dvd and video card. Comes with an 80 plus 300w psu that can handle upto a 5850. Or if you want mATX you could get a SG01 or SG02 then choose everything yourself.

Edited by brissmas

The silverstone ones look pretty cool. That shuttle barebones thing looks like a giant ripoff. Shuttle stuff always seems heinously overpriced. I think they overplay their brand and fact that they hit the small case market first.

Lian-li PC-Q08 looks very nice, but last I looked, I think they're selling like hotcakes and haven't made it to AU yet. Could be wrong. It's on the big size of an ITX, but it looks really tasty.

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/produ...amp;ss_index=63

The Q07 is nice, too - bit more limited, though, and the layout is a bit iffy to me. But, it's really compact.

Lian Li's PC-V351 and PC-V352 also look pretty nice - mATX with good ventilation and room for graphics cards. They're cube-style, though, which might be annoying for your space constraints.

Chenbro also do some really nice small cases... but they tend to be more fileserver-oriented than gaming.

It really depends on what you want it for. If its for games, then compact doesn't really work with it - big cases, big mobos, big gfx cards and big fans are the go. If it's for general computing, I'd go the laptop option - I think Toshibas look nice (not that I've really used one, but hey)... if it doesn't have to be portable Toshiba certainly has some entries in the 'luggable/desktop replacement' camp. Or, get a macbook pro.

I think the small case market is kinda underwhelming at the moment. There's plenty of HTPC cases, some ok fileserver cases, a bunch that are as-small-as-possible-just-coz-we-can... and then the general-purpose desktop cases all tend to be too big. I think it's a tough one to crack, given the design constraints (small but big) and the fact that a lot of people who are after a small PC would just get a laptop. I think it's still early days for the mini ITX cases and we'll see some more good entries in the next 12 months.

BTW - http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=3 is an interesting site for small stuff.

Hi,

My desktop is sitting on the dining room table at the moment, and is taking up to much room - i am looking at an upgrade soon, and am looking at a Shuttle SX58J3 Barebone XPC (I have the video card) - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14460

Is this worth it over a good quality windows 7 laptop (I like the Toshiba ones)?

Also, i am a bit confused over what the barebones is, will it have CPU, and RAM? I got plenty of storage on my desktop i can plugin...

barebones in this instance means it will come with IIRC the PSU and motherboard but thats it.

So basically i am looking at a ibtx mobo and a case with a brand name on it?

If that's the deal, are there any other micro case brands around that i might be able to purchase instead?

Go an SG05/06 much cheaper and much more flexible (I'll do you up a decent build in one below)

You could get something like the SG05 and then choose your own mini-itx mobo, cpu, hdds, ram, dvd and video card. Comes with an 80 plus 300w psu that can handle upto a 5850. Or if you want mATX you could get a SG01 or SG02 then choose everything yourself.

Agreed this will be the cheapest option.

here is what I would put into it (SG05):

-i5 750 (can downgrade to something like a i3 530 if you need to)

-Zotac H55 wifi ITX mobo (fantastic little board)

-Seagate 1.5TB HDD

-SG05 case (comes with PSU)

-XFX HD5770

-4gb generic DDR3

-slim dvd burner

should come to about ~$1040

Edited by nesquick

Thanks for the feed back - mini-itx.com has some interesting projects

This is what i would prefer to get

-i5 750 (can downgrade to something like a i3 530 if you need to) $254.00

-Zotac H55 wifi ITX mobo (fantastic little board) $198.00

-Use my own HDD from PC - Free

-SG02 case - looks better $85.00

-My own brand new 9600 (Free)

-4gb generic DDR3 - $129.00

-slim dvd burner - $69.00

should come to about ~$735

PC Case Gear website

Edited by amckern

don't forget a PSU, antec neo eco 450 is pretty cheap but good

you don't need the slim dvd burner or ITX board in that case you like, since M-ATX is cheaper you can grab something like a Gigabyte H55M S2H to save money and any dvd burner is fine (5.25 inch ones)

either way its going to work out much the same no matter what you pick

oh and there is the SG06 to consider to http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=12254

Edited by nesquick

The SG06 looks good - i have never been a fan of case windows, or LED's

You can save cash by going with the SG05 as the 05 and 06 are virtually the same except there front bezels. Correct me if im wrong.

The SG05 has a big ass fan on the front, i don't like that style of case - i would be prepared to pay a bit more for something i would be proud to have sitting on the desk.

you seen the SG07? pretty much just come out and its a really nice case.

SG07.

Looks like Silverstone have made the case a little bigger so they can encorperate the full atx psu and the 5970. But it still looks to be smaller than the SG01 and SGO2. Its mini itx as well though.

you seen the SG07? pretty much just come out and its a really nice case.

SG07.

Looks like Silverstone have made the case a little bigger so they can encorperate the full atx psu and the 5970. But it still looks to be smaller than the SG01 and SGO2. Its mini itx as well though.

I just found out SG07 is like 6-8 weeks away :(

How much was it inc postage?

Also how long did it take to arrive?

I need to get a new rig soon, my desktop gave me a BIOS halt code 10 this morning

Yeah, i dont like that case for the same reason i dont like the SG05

Dont get me wrong, i LOVE Lan Li cases, i just hate LED & Windows

So my final fit out will be the SG06, with the hardware in the 3rd post - i need to do this quick quick, as my desktop is giving me BIOS halt code 10

Edited by amckern

or if you are feeling adventrous you could get a DA Box from the USA. (which is what I did when I upgraded from my shuttle)

http://www.lan-gear.com/

Ive looked at these before. Best SFF case around. Lets you put in coolers like Scyth Mugen 2 and Corsair H50 but i heard they cost $40-$50 to get shipped to Australia?

Yeah, i dont like that case for the same reason i dont like the SG05

Dont get me wrong, i LOVE Lan Li cases, i just hate LED & Windows

So my final fit out will be the SG06, with the hardware in the 3rd post - i need to do this quick quick, as my desktop is giving me BIOS halt code 10

make sure you get a slim DVD burner mate otherwise you will find a normal one won't fit :) also if you need lots of storage don't forget the SG06 only has a 3.5" and 2.5" drive bay so you may be confined to a second laptop backup drive for instance unless you mod the case a bit.