Sign in to follow this  
Dapper_Dan

MGS4 on 360...maybe

According to an article on IGN, there's a possibility of MGS4 coming to the 360.

US, October 14, 2008 - According to a Tokyo Game Show report from Japanese investment research firm Morningstar, Metal Gear Solid 4 may find its way to the Xbox 360 after all. Morningstar published a general article covering multiplatform trends that features a quote from a Konami public relations representative that should fuel rumors for months to come. The rep is quoted as saying, regarding MGS4, "We're actively looking into a release for the Xbox 360." While this isn't a confirmation of it coming, it does lend hope to those Xbox 360 owners who haven't plunked down money on a PS3.

However, this little quote doesn't clear the major hurdle Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima has listed for the title coming to Xbox 360. He has been quoted in several interviews saying a port was likely impossible due to the game being optimized for the PS3 hardware, specifically Blu-ray discs.

IGN has contacted Konami's US representatives for a comment and is awaiting a response.

That'd be fucken great! All we'd need then is LBP for 360 too, and that'd be all the good PS3 exclusives as far as I'm concerned .Resistance I played at a mates house and while entertaining enough, it's not a patch on Halo 3 imo. Imaginative guns, but they were horrible to use I thought, especially in multiplayer. The other PS3 exclusives all look like shit tbh. Heavenly Sword and Uncharted both appear feeble. Motorstorm I hear is good though, if you like racing games (Which I don't).

As for it being "impossible" to bring MGS4 to 360 because of Blu-Ray....Surely it could be done just with several DVD's? Just like how games USED to be.

Uncharted is actually a pretty good game. Probably one of the better ps3 titles.

Lost Odyssey had 4 disks......I'm sure they can do the same thing in this case.

I'm not sure if you actually have any interest in what the PS3's strong exclusives are (you probably don't), or if you're just excited about MGS4 on 360 in an anti PS3 never want one kinda way, but here goes for the sake of argument...

Uncharted is a very very good title, and to exclude it from a list of good things the PS3 offers is just silly. It's a notch above so many other things I've played in recent memory. Fantastic fluid gameplay and brilliant eye candy.

As for Heavenly Sword, it made a lot of button mashers happy. There's some stigma around this game on these forums because of a certain spate of posts, but there are lot of people out there that regard this game highly. It has 11 reviews on Metacritic of 90 or higher, and averages at 87, which is a score that "SHIT" games do not recieve in this jaded day and age. Personally I don't play or like button mashers, and I'll never touch one, but the fact remains that your vague impressions differ from mainstream opinion, and as I'm guessing you've not played it, they could be wrong.

Try Warhawk as well. Play it once. It's freakin excellent.

Wipeout HD is worthy of the list as well, since you did mention Motorstorm.

Resistance is great. You may prefer Halo, but it's still a great game. Resistance 2 due in a few weeks and looks to be massively improved in graphics and certain gameplay elements as well. The campaign looks fucking EPIC and the eight player co op has me keen as hell.

Loads of awesome shit in 2009, but they can speak for themselves when they arrive.

Anyway...why did I bother posting all of this? Because if you search a little harder, you'll find that the MGS4 360 rumor has already been debunked. Again.

It's not going to happen.

Konami was mis-translated and a few people jumped the gun. They are talking about moving towards a multi-platform approach for the future. Specifically they were talking about a move to include the 360 in new projects. MGS5 -COULD BE- multiplatform, who knows, but MGS4 will never be ported.

During MGS4, there is an anti-Xbox 360 wise crack. It's littered with Sony and Apple logos. Kojima is an unashamed Sony fanboy. It just ain't in the pipeline.

But seriously...wait until the PS3 gets cheap and grab one, and enjoy all of its games.

I'm definitely grabbing a 360 when the money/situation is right. Not in any hurry at the moment, but one day for sure. Like you, I have little interest in most of its (vast) library, but I know that there are some key games I'd love to get into.

Dumping on one or the other is just a stupid thing to do now when both offer a lot of quality and enjoymnet.

I thought MGS4 had a little trouble fitting on a 50GB Blu-Ray disc? I don't think MGS4 will be on 360.

My understanding is that Kojima expressed disappointment that he was not allowed to span it over multiple BD-ROM dual layer disks. He compromised, ultimately. Self obsessed nutcase :\

I thought MGS4 had a little trouble fitting on a 50GB Blu-Ray disc? I don't think MGS4 will be on 360.

There is that issue. Kojima said that even a Bluray disk wasn't enough for what he wanted to do, but MGS4 also apparently didn't use any form of file compression, so the BD argument is iffy in terms of a complete deal-breaker. They could arguably maybe compress it a lot (I don't know how that would affect the loading and memory pipeline) and get rid of the intro TV advertisements and other bits of video, and probably have it on 2 disks? Don't know.

The thing is though, the Metal Gear Solid IP belongs to Kojima Productions if I'm not mistaken (definitely correct me if I'm wrong), and Hideo Kojima has the say in what happens with his title, despite what Konami might feel like doing. He alone is probably the biggest reason at the moment as to why it won't hit 360.

It's nothing new. Gabe at Valve hates all things PS3 and won't dev for it despite a proven market interest (via EA). Left for Dead and Ep 3 have little PS3 hope if EA won't take them.

I'm not sure if you actually have any interest in what the PS3's strong exclusives are (you probably don't), or if you're just excited about MGS4 on 360 in an anti PS3 never want one kinda way, but here goes for the sake of argument...

Dumping on one or the other is just a stupid thing to do now when both offer a lot of quality and enjoymnet.

Apologies, didn't mean to come across like I was "dumping" on PS3. I'm certainly no MS fanboy, I like good games whatever platform they're on. It just happens that I own a 360 as they were cheaper than PS3's at the time. If I had the money I'd get a PS3 too. I'm interested in MGS4 on 360 as it looks like a game I'd enjoy heaps, nothing more to it than that, Same with LBP.

As for my comments about Drake's and Heavenly Sword, those are just my own subjective opinions, based on nothing more than skimming over a few reviews and looking at screenies. They may well be better than dusted monkey arse, they just don't grab me personally.

Warhawk I've never heard of. Wipeout though, was forgetting about that one :) I'd get that too if I could :( Even though I don't much like racers, I loved Wipeout 2097 on the PSX.

Given HDD's do not come as standard on all 360's I find it unlikely that it will eventuate.

On PS3, there are several installs, each taking up a large amount of disc space, and the game itself is on a dual layer BRD. So you're looking at 5 DVD's and HDD being a must at the very least.

As far as I know, FFXI is the only game that requires a HDD on the 360 (although I may be wrong) and that's because MS have a fairly hardline approach to not making HDD's required because obviously they sell consoles without HDD's.

Would be good for 360 owners though, as it's probably the best game to come out on any platform this year so far.

My understanding is that Kojima expressed disappointment that he was not allowed to span it over multiple BD-ROM dual layer disks. He compromised, ultimately. Self obsessed nutcase :\

Self obsessed nutcase, or genius? Regardless of any personal issues he may have, he's certainly produced one of the best gaming series in history, and has managed to finish it off with a flawless game.

mgs4 flawless? i can think of one flaw, i thought it was too short.

and before you shoot me for saying it, i would lke to mention that i have posted in mgs4 threads before the new atomic version stating how much i love the game. i bought it the day it came out and finished i the next day. 20 hours.

but once you skip all the cutscenes, there is not thatmuch game play. i dunno, maybe by playing through it 5-10 times kinda makes the game feel short?

either way, if mgs4 does come out on 360 i would be happy for you guys as it would allow you to enjoy a masterpiece of a game! i only wish GoW 1&2 would come out one ps3. lol i suggest a trade! mgs4 for gow2! hahaha

I read that Media Molecule went to Microsoft first with their LittleBigPlanet idea, and Microsoft told them to get lost :)

It is indeed published by Sony (now). I don't think MM is a first party studio though, and they probably have a degree of freedom for future releases (maybe not the LBP franchise).

Dapper: Wasn't trying to infer you were a fanboy. I just felt like a rant.

xfu: really? well it doesn't surprise me either! not just MS but i've read of a few games that have been turned away only to kill it when they do see release! abit unfortunate, how many games have had similar fates only they never saw the light of day?

atomic should do a magazine article or something!

Lot's I'd say. The indie game dev community is enormous, and full of some extremely talented people. Not a doubt in my mind that there's a huge number of people out there that could do amazing things with the right funding, but mostly they'll never get it.

Visionaries and creative geniuses almost never have any kind of entrepreneurial skill, or interest for that matter.

Given HDD's do not come as standard on all 360's I find it unlikely that it will eventuate.

On PS3, there are several installs, each taking up a large amount of disc space, and the game itself is on a dual layer BRD. So you're looking at 5 DVD's and HDD being a must at the very least.

BRD has a much lower max transfer than DVD, so installs are no indicator whatsoever.

You know why I think it won't go to 360.

Kojima at some point had a little cry about MGS4 having a little trouble fitting on the Blu-Ray disc, I have seen the artical. Now, what makes you think Kojima is going to put it on the 360? That uses the standard DVD 9 drive? Seriously, They had to use like 20 DVD's or 20 CDs.

Some clever use of compression + RAM as a unified block means that the storage issue isn't as significant as you might think. If it was impossible, they would have said so.

BRD has a much lower max transfer than DVD, so installs are no indicator whatsoever.

While DVD's do have the higher transfer speed which has seen other games able to play without install on the 360, the fact that there is so much data on the dual layer BRD makes streaming, to me, look like an almost impossible option. The audio in MGS4 is uncompressed, and the textures are fairly large too.

It might be possible to spread it out over multiple DVD's, but then you've also got to remember that some textures and music is going to be used all the time, so you've got redundancy and end up with even more discs than you should. That's assuming that streaming so much data is even a viable option.

Well, it's clearly going to have more compression if it does get made for the 360. That much is obvious.

I'd say that a huge percentage of the BD storage budget was uncompressed or lossless sound data. Simply switching that to lossy compression will make a huge difference. Either way, the difference will be neglible for 99% of users.

As for textures etc, having seen the game in action, there is no way on earth the textures used in game are particularly high resolution. I think the biggest data load is the cinematics.

Look, I see where you're coming from I really do.

I'd do a backflip if Hideo wanted to compress MGS 4 though.

Yes, it's technically possible to compress the audio, the video, the textures, and have in on the 360 and stream it. The same way it's technically possible to port it to PC. The same way it's technically possible to make everything smaller, and port it to Wii.

I don't think it'll happen, because I believe Hideo will not, in any way shape or form, compress MGS 4.

It'd be awesome if the 360 did get it, it's a brilliant game. I don't think it will be ported however.

Besides, as has already been mentioned, there are a heap of Sony jokes, and 360 payouts throughout the story, and heaps of back references about the original MGS (like when psycho mantis appears) and how it played on the PS. They'd all have to be reworked/taken out, which is sad because they're awesome.

Well, it's clearly going to have more compression if it does get made for the 360. That much is obvious.

I'd say that a huge percentage of the BD storage budget was uncompressed or lossless sound data. Simply switching that to lossy compression will make a huge difference. Either way, the difference will be neglible for 99% of users.

As for textures etc, having seen the game in action, there is no way on earth the textures used in game are particularly high resolution. I think the biggest data load is the cinematics.

I don't know about that. Uncharted Drakes Fortune used High Res textures and with out blu ray, Uncharted would not have been made ;) I watched the making of the game and thats the same with HS ;)

I don't know about that. Uncharted Drakes Fortune used High Res textures and with out blu ray, Uncharted would not have been made ;) I watched the making of the game and thats the same with HS ;)

Both of the games you mentioned are insignificant in terms of sizes when compared to MGS 4. Both would easily port to 360. MGS 4 is completely different because of the scale of the game, and the producer.

edit: The End is completely right when he says it is possible to cut the stuff that is stored on the BRD up onto multiple discs. The reason why I believe this is unfeasible for MGS 4 is because of the vast amount of uncompressed data, and that large amounts of data are used throughout the whole game. That would mean a large amount of discs, all with redundant data on them as the 360 simply does not have enough RAM to store game data in it, as well as allow the game to play.

Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword don't use the same amount of data MGS 4 do, and therefore would be much easier to seperate onto multiple discs with less redundancy.

This isn't a discussion on those two games anyway, it's a discussion on MGS 4 so kindly leave your favourite games out of it.

This isn't a discussion on those two games anyway, it's a discussion on MGS 4 so kindly leave your favourite games out of it.

I was using them as examples :)