stuub27

Xbox 360 price crash!

That's a great deal but I'd still gravitate to the new model, 450 for it's wireless, 250gb hd and whisper quite so I hear.

That's a cracking great deal... I wonder how much a brand new elite is worth for trade? Could be wicked trade bait!

How much is quiet worth? $250 for the system, say $70 for a cheap 250GB drive on ebay and $83 for a wireless N attachment from 365games.co.uk that adds up to $403. Is the extra $47 worth the new form factor and reported whisper quiet? $47 is nearly an entire game if you're a frugal purchaser like I am.

I owned a 360 briefly, and they are pretty loud. Mind you I had mine 60cm from my head next to my monitor. Under the TV several metres away would be a different story.

Fuck.

Looks like the day has finally come.

Not concerned about noise; 60GB would be plenty of storage for me; wireless = *meh* so the only question is: how reliable is 360 these days?

If the answer is "very" ... looks like I may be reviewing my sig for the first time in years.

Oh, and the Elite still has the regular HD A/V connector right? So I can use the VGA/Stereo adapter?

Edited by thesorehead

Fuck.

Looks like the day has finally come.

Not concerned about noise; 60GB would be plenty of storage for me; wireless = *meh* so the only question is: how reliable is 360 these days?

If the answer is "very" ... looks like I may be reviewing my sig for the first time in years.

Oh, and the Elite still has the regular HD A/V connector right? So I can use the VGA/Stereo adapter?

they are pretty good nowdays IIRC, oh and you will ned to buy your own HDMI cable/component cables, microsoft the stingy cunts only include composite now.

If you pay more than $5 for a HDMI cable you're getting ripped off. Reliability is as it always was I've heard stories of people having their brand new 360 red ring within a month of buying it, my launch console had its first red ring a couple of months ago after almost 3 years of near daily use.

If you pay more than $5 for a HDMI cable you're getting ripped off. Reliability is as it always was I've heard stories of people having their brand new 360 red ring within a month of buying it, my launch console had its first red ring a couple of months ago after almost 3 years of near daily use.

I was going to say the 360's are an improved beast, but you know what? Aki is right. Everyone remember the special edition 250gb Elite's that came bundled with FFXIII/Mass Effect 2/CoDMW2 from earlier this year/end of last year? Most are supposedly the 'jasper' chipset? They all fall apart as regularly as the old ones. Sure, if you place yours in a sensible place, don't play for 6 hours straight regularly and just plain old get lucky (rather like the Swiss last night, haha!) with yours, it'll go forever.

Without going into great detail, they still are returned en masse at work; RRoD, faulty HDD (not as common, but still fucking annoying if you shelled out for the LE FFXIII box), mystery E74 errors and so on.

In that regard, RRP$449 for the new one, which will never be sold at $449 (look at last weeks prices for the 'old' Elite's, all of them were ~$399) is absolutely worth waiting for, I think. FWIW, I'll be upgrading day one, purely because it is quieter.

Oh and a massive +1 to "If you pay more than $5 for a HDMI cable you're getting ripped off". Unless you're buying 30ft worth of cable, it doesn't matter. The same 1's and 0's will come out the other end of a $5 HDMI cable as they will out of a $300 Monster HDMI cable.

Edited by elfinke

Oh and a massive +1 to "If you pay more than $5 for a HDMI cable you're getting ripped off". Unless you're buying 30ft worth of cable, it doesn't matter. The same 1's and 0's will come out the other end of a $5 HDMI cable as they will out of a $300 Monster HDMI cable.

Not quite true.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=10876

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=8676

It's entirely possible to get a rubbishy 6-foot cable that can't handle, say, a 1080p signal.

Very very tempted to pick one of these up but the woman would kill me as we already have a ps3.

I only want to play forza and gears of war not really interested in anything else.

Very very tempted to pick one of these up but the woman would kill me as we already have a ps3.

I only want to play forza and gears of war not really interested in anything else.

Dude show your lady Viva Pinata. My mates girlfriend wasn't a big gamer until that game, he ended up having to give up his gaming time she played it so much.

Not quite true.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=10876

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=8676

It's entirely possible to get a rubbishy 6-foot cable that can't handle, say, a 1080p signal.

Absolutely true for every cable that doesn't carry just 1s and 0s. Not true for any properly built 1.x compatible HDMI cable (I mean obviously, crappy pins, impropery sheilded plugs and what not are going to affect one as much as any other) It's digital. It either works or it doesn't. However, this discussion has been had by bazillions of others on gazillions of other forums, and I'm more than happy to leave it at that. Anyone curious can google up dtv, whirlpool, endgadget, digitalfoundry or the avsforums and can research their heart out.

Tempted, so tempted.

What are the media centre capabilities like compared to the PS3?

Tempted, so tempted.

Media centre capabilities are a dead heat unless you're after SACD/Blu-Ray which only the PS3 can do. Assuming streaming from a PC it's all the same with TVersity or whatever software you use.

Tempted, so tempted.

Mate I am super tempted and will make sure I dont go anywhere near a JB HI-FI as I know I wont be able to help myself.

Dude show your lady Viva Pinata. My mates girlfriend wasn't a big gamer until that game, he ended up having to give up his gaming time she played it so much.

Mate she can just play LBP on the PS3 or those lame bigfish games on her PC... If i get an xbox it will sit out the back office with me so I can play it :)

Suppose some imaginary person bearing no resemblance to any actual living person allegedly got it modified. (Hypothetically, as far as you know). And they got banned from Xbox Live. Honest mistake wise, that sort of thing. I realise that person wouldn't be able to play multiplayer, and they'd deserve it, for being a dirty pirate, but would they still be able to buy downloadable games? Like, I don't know, the TMNT IV remake and the Earthworm Jim HD release that I'm astounded doesn't yet have its own thread? Or does banned mean all-the-way banned?

Also, can one stream HD content to it over ethernet from their Win7 PC and play said content on their big fuck-off Bravia? Not that that person would have any downloaded HD content like 1080p rips of brilliant films like Johnny Mnemonic and Snatch and entire seasons of The Ultimate Fighter that they're just dying to put on their big screen TV. That would be ludicrous and probably illegal. But if they did....?

i don't think said person would be able to purchase and partake in Earthworm Jim goodness but said person may be able to still use said xbox as HTPC.

Said person could maybe sell their Xbox for 100bucks and buy a new one however.

Edited by Bundy

I see.

Or, rather, said imaginary person sees.

HE SEES ALL.

Or he would, if he was a real person. But he's not. He's a purely hypothetical individual created out of thin air to allow me to pose my question, the answer to which has no bearing on any decision I personally might make with regards to purchasing an Xbox. None whatsoever.

Good God, I do ramble on.

Suppose some imaginary person bearing no resemblance to any actual living person allegedly got it modified. (Hypothetically, as far as you know). And they got banned from Xbox Live. Honest mistake wise, that sort of thing. I realise that person wouldn't be able to play multiplayer, and they'd deserve it, for being a dirty pirate, but would they still be able to buy downloadable games? Like, I don't know, the TMNT IV remake and the Earthworm Jim HD release that I'm astounded doesn't yet have its own thread? Or does banned mean all-the-way banned?

Also, can one stream HD content to it over ethernet from their Win7 PC and play said content on their big fuck-off Bravia? Not that that person would have any downloaded HD content like 1080p rips of brilliant films like Johnny Mnemonic and Snatch and entire seasons of The Ultimate Fighter that they're just dying to put on their big screen TV. That would be ludicrous and probably illegal. But if they did....?

This pretty much breaks it down.

Basically no access to LIVE at all for movies/games/updates of any sort, and no access to media centre functionality. Although a quick google shows some people saying that it does does work after being banned.

Also no games installed to HDD, although I think this was changed shortly afterwards.

Edited by rs727

No and Yes.

Unless youre talking about streaming media to a banned console, then i think the answer is no.

Edited by nukejockey

Hmmmm.

I just had this ok'd by the missus after explainng its ability to pump the vast repository of digital media on my PC to the TV. (My TV was supposed to be able to do this by itself, with some DLNA software, but that's proven....unstable).

I think I mentioned somewhere that I owned a 360 previously, for about two weeks before I ragequit and sold it. This new development puts me in a difficult position, because if I go ahead with it I'll have paid actual money for an Xbox 360 controller.

Twice. Urgh.

I do want to play UFC 2009/10 though, and I sure do want to stream some media. At that price it's easy to consider it just another home theatre component.