Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
esaitchkay

Case to replace my v9!

So, I posted this on whirlpool, and I got fanboys saying I should get a cm690.

===

About a year ago, I got a system from MSY. WITH A V9.

Now, I realise my mistakes. It's noisy, and the fan at the top was a nuisance until I smashed it :)

My budget is $200 or less.

The two cases I'm interested in are:

Antec 300

and

Antec P183.

Most of you will say P183 duh, but just hear me out.

Antec 300 is a third of the price of P183 or something.

But, that allows for me to get some quiet noctua or scythe fans.

Plus a better cooler. I was thinking, MAYBE, the H150. I know its a weakass WC, but it's quieter than having a true120 or something.

However, I've heard P183 is pretty quiet with all its layers and et cetera.

The P183 looks pretty sexy --- +1

===

My internals atm.

Phenom II 720BE @ 3.6ghz – it's something like 40 – 50 degrees on load with the xigmatek red scorp.

Gigabyte pre-oc 4850

Coolermaster 550W

M720-US3 mobo.

===

I'm not too fussy about cable management tbh.

ALSO, could you recommend where I should buy it from.

I'm in the parra region of sydney.

I don't know whether I should buy from PCCG or msy/pcdiy.

I've bought from PCCG and service was fantastic + delivered really well.

tl;dr?

Antec 300 or P183 + Where to buy it

Cheers.

I'm also considering RV01 - best looks, not too sure about the 90 degree mobo and noise.

Consider the Fractal Design Define R2.

I did. The front is too wide for my taste.

It's 2mm wider than the 300 or P193.

That officially qualifies in the "a bees dick" category.

Consider the Fractal Design Define R2.

I did. The front is too wide for my taste.

It's 2mm wider than the 300 or P193.

That officially qualifies in the "a bees dick" category.

Just googled it. I was looking at the wrong fractal :L

It doesn't look too bad, the led light just ruins it.

Just googled it. I was looking at the wrong fractal :L

It doesn't look too bad, the led light just ruins it.

The power one?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=13796

you are talking about that one right. don't see how the power light 'ruins it'. I think it adds just the prefect contrast to the white space of the front panel to make it interesting but not overstated. The only concern some have shared about that case is the hdd tray's are not rigid enough and might be a problem with 8 hdd's in the system, but no one has actually tested that yet. The depth of the fractal might be a concern though. I'm unhappy i cant get one because of that reason.

as for the cooler - grab a noctua almost as good as a true but you get awesome fans with it. I would not imagine it being monstously supperior (U12P) to a red scorp in cooling but the noctua fans are just awesomely quiet.

I have the Fractal Design Refine R2 (black) case. For just under $150 it is pretty good value. I like it because it looks very modern and is a stylish plain black case unlikely to go out of fasion, so should last many builds. I actually think the one blue LED neer the power button is a nice touch which is not too much bling and is no different to a LED power button on say, your monitor. I like how you don't have to open the front facia to press the power button like some cases do.

The front facia is a very nice aluminium door which stays closed magneticly. Behind the front Facia is room for two drives and under them is room for 2x120mm fans which are easly accessable for cleening the dust filters. The case comes with 1 front and 1 rear 120mm fan. It also comes with a fan speed controller which fits a free rear slots of the case. How ever I chose not to use it prefering to leave the fans at full speed and doing away with excess cables for the fan wiring.

The insides are lined with sound dampening material so in theory should reduce some noise. There is room for, but optional for, two 120mm on top of the case. 1 on the bottom of the case and 1 on the side panel as well. The 8 harddrive bays slot in and out, have rubber gromets and have predrilled holes for mounting SSD's.

Now the critique. The 2 fans that come with the case are a little noisy at full speed. If this is a concern I would definatly recomend replacing them with noctura or some other quieter fans or using the fan contorller and slowing them down. There is not alot of space behind the back side panel for thick wires, I had trouble closing the panel so rerouted the motherboard power cable behind the harddrive bays, all the other wiring where fine. Also becarful not to pick at the sound dampening matterial as it could break off in small chunks.

There is plenty of room for long GFX cards, plenty of room for Hard drives and plenty of options for 120mm fans. Over all if your looking for a sleek case with out the bling but with the luxury car finish and feel on the cheep i'd definally recomend the Fractal R2.

+1 to the fractal R2. I built a new PC using this case on the weekend and absolutely love it. Mounted a Corsair Hydro H50 water CPU cooler with ease. Heaps of room inside with easy cable management and really quiet. Now I just have to pick up a 140mm fan to go in the top of the case and it'll be finished.

thanks for the reviews of the R2, iam considering this case myself.

Is there a version of it available with window in the side?

cheers

thanks for the reviews of the R2, iam considering this case myself.

Is there a version of it available with window in the side?

cheers

No. There is a larger version of it on its way to AUS though.

get the raven and the corsair cooler!!!

get the raven and the corsair cooler!!!

HAHAHAHA

w00t.

I'm buying a raven as soon as its on stock at arc. Horrible service, great prices: similar to msy.

However, I can't afford the rv01 plus corsair h50.

However, with the 50-80 dollars i have left, Im going to buy some xigmatek ( don't judge me :P ) blue led fans and CATHODES :D

I just picked up a Lancool (lian li) K60 case @ msy for 113.

Construction: Absolutely perfect - Steel chassis but everything fits perfectly together.

Fans: meh could be a little quieter - but my fan controller takes care of that.

All up - probably the best 113 I have ever spent

Rob

kthanks!

I went to arc and they said that their distributor no longer stocks rv01 ><

So i paid about 15$ more and I am getting it delivered from megaware :D