Sign in to follow this  
jimmy37

'Tempest' - Scratch Build

Well, I'm new to the forums, and need some feedback on my build. I'm a regular on OCAU, but decided I'd like some more feedback from a wider variety of viewers. Plus, who doesn't like looking at watercooled worklogs?

This is a project I am doing for my HSC Major works (Design and Tech) and is supposed to be an innovative design.

Just to give you an idea on the size; the case is 450mm long, 350mm high, and 350mm at the widest points. The front, rear, motherboard tray, and framing will be made of 2mm aluminium, the outer parts that mount the acrylic will be 1mm aluminium, and the acrylic is 1.5mm and 2mm.

I only drew this in Sketchup, cause it was an easy to use program, and represents fairly well what I'm building.

Sorry about the quality. I'm not a photographer. I just point and click.

Here's a side view of the case. The top section is where the motherboard will be mounted horizontally, and the pump + reservoir right in front of it. The front four fan holes are for two 240 radiators to be mounted. The bottom section is where the HDD/SSD's + PSU will be mounted

Posted Image

A front view, also some holes up the top for switches to be put in (just an estimate, might be more or less holes)

Posted Image

View from the other side. Here you can see the rather simple HDD mount's (just two pieces of Al teehee)

Posted Image

Another view

Posted Image

And another

Posted Image

Here's a rear view. You can see the PSU mount, I/O plate, and the HDD exhaust fan.

Posted Image

In each of the blank parts in the drawings above, the following acrylic pieces will be mounted. The top two will have 120mm fans in them, and the large top piece will have a 200mm fan in it.

Posted Image

And finally, a big thanks to Greig @ GAM Mods, for agreeing to a sponsorship for my project.

Let me know whats you's think and I'll post some pics of what I've made so far up

Edited by jimmy37

Well, It's supposed to be inventive right, well i've had a couple of beers so im ready to brainstorm.

I would try to keep the air flow simple front to back, just like pumping it through a tunnel. Notice you dont see too many of those fans in all direction designs any more, they tend to focus the flow so that two fans don't fight one another.

and now ill contradict myself. :P

I can see something 'innovative' there. If you turn the psu 90degrees you can use it as a mobo back side cooler. This will mean less space is needed in the lower 'cell' I would then build two hdd towers with 3 wide spaced hdds in each. you seem to have the space down below to do that. bunching them up in one place like that will only mean that the air will need to pass through that restriction, but it wont. It will just go around it. and this will mean your hdds will get hot. Air is like electricity - path of least resistance. Force it to go the way you want it go.

With the less space required in the 'southern cell' (i'll just invent my own terms shall I) you can position the 4 fans at the front a bit higher giving you better cooling over the mobo and a more centralised look. Since even though the fans are centred on your design - the rads that attach to them will not be because of the ends with the barbs being bigger. This will also help the balance since you will have less of the two lower fans in the lower cell but only one intake fan at the back (which would now be smaller form the psu turning around).

I would get rid of the fans in the perspex. 1, I don't like fans in perspex You can never hide the power wires. 2, I think the top panel would be a great place for a res to be mounted. you have vision of it from all three sides and if you put a cool piece of carved perspex inside it looks great as the water coming in spins it around like a top.

But by far what i would say this case lack is a clear design goal. Obviously you want to use it yourself afterwards. but you have to imagine a Lian-li, silverstone, antec, rep coming to you and saying 'can you please design a case for us. we have these design goals in mind:

* cube case

* watercooled

* Aluminium construction

* windowed

* cable management

* silent

etc, build your product brief. Then come back and The help given will b e more tagetted because we know what the final product wants to be. At the moment i'm unsure if i should suggest - quite tip - High performance tip - HTPC - Fileserver. etc.

Help us help you.

Edited by Sparky

First impression: Looks like a dog kennel.

Posted Image

Advice:

- Make sure there's positive air pressure

- Don't measure components, use the ATX spec directly

- If this is due in September, start building it now, and write your report as you go. Otherwise you'll be stuffed.

- Don't put vents in places that it doesn't make sense.

Ooo thanks very much for the replies guys.

Here's where my innovative side comes into it:

The motherboard is horizontally mounted, relieving stress on it from heavy GPU's and coolers.

The case is designed to accommodate for liquid cooling. I.e, specific places for pump, reservoir, and of course, the front radiators.

I've already decided with the acrylic fan holes; can't change that, although I have some spare acrylic if it looks le shitteh.

And with the 'getting spec's direct from atx motherboard, that's what i'm doing-don't worry.

oh and what did you mean with the 'Don't put vents in places that it doesn't make sense.'?

Here's what I've started to build so far. I will be doing all of the aluminium work in two weeks when I do some work placement

OK, so there's the plans, Now here's what I've started to build so far.

Here's a sheet of 2mm acrylic I'll be using. Forgot to take a pic of the 1.5mm sheet. I went into the local plastics place and asked for some offcuts for 'testing' and they gave me enough 1.5mm and 2mm for the whole project. I offered to pay, but no complaints from me when they refused.

Posted Image

Cut up into the appropriate sized pieces with a scrollsaw. The larger piece is 2mm, for the top.

Posted Image

fan holes cut out and cleaned up with a vertical sander. It doesn't look very neat, i know. It's just the covering on the acrylic hanging over the edges.

Posted Image

Test fitting the 200mm fan

Posted Image

And again.

Posted Image

I was originally going to fold up my own I/O plate. Then I remembered I have an acrylic case, and took it out. Stainless steel, and pretty good quality too.

Posted Image

I'm now in the process of cutting up the front and rear panels.

I was originally going to get them CNC cut, and stopped feeling guilty about not paying for the acrylic when the same guy (only place with CNC close that I know about) offered $250 to cut out the front panel.

I laughed, cried a little inside, and never replied to his email.

Hmmm.. Very similar idea to what I'm currently thinking of creating.

Mine will be in a cube shap and the top and bottom sections will be completely separate. It needs to be air/dust tight. That's the main idea.

How are you planning on joining the edges together?

Are those holes up the top on the front panel going to be for air? As said before I'd be making sure that the case has positive airflow.

Here's a question for everyone - What is the dust situation like with radiators that are used as intakes? Do they collect dust inside or does it act like a filter?

Also, how are you mounting the motherboard? Are you just using standard standoffs that are used in most bought cases or something different?

Edited by bushi

How are you planning on joining the edges together?

If you look carefully at some of the pictures where you can see the inside, there'll be some 2mm aluminium, bent into shape, in between, and riveted(maybe welded) to, the front and rear panels. The outer 1mm aluminium/acrylic will then be screwed into the framing. If my measurements are all correct, then this build will also be dust tight

Are those holes up the top on the front panel going to be for air? As said before I'd be making sure that the case has positive airflow.

the holes are for switches (reset, power, fans, led's) might also add some USB, audio, eSATA ports there

Here's a question for everyone - What is the dust situation like with radiators that are used as intakes? Do they collect dust inside or does it act like a filter?

I've never used them as intake, but my radiator on the rear of my current setup, acted as a filter. I guess it would depend on the density of the fins?

Also, how are you mounting the motherboard? Are you just using standard standoffs that are used in most bought cases or something different?

I'll just be using the normal standoffs. I want this case to be unique, but also universal, so that anyone can put their own parts in it.