Sign in to follow this  
Director

Windows 7 unable to update.

Got an infected PC in yesterday, have cleaned all the bugs off it and everything works OK except when I try to connect to a windows update site. I get the error 80072efe, get the same error if trying a MSSE update (0x80072efe) and cannot navigate to www.windowsupdate.com using EI8 or FF. I have no probs at all getting to these sites with my own pc using the same net connection. So after trying everything I can find or think of I had the thought that maybe they have a hacked version of Win 7, it does say 'activated' and when I install MSSE it does pass WGA (but it comes up instantly?).

So any ideas from you guys?

(have scanned with malwarebytes, adaware, msse and the MS online virus scanning thingy and they now all come up clean.)

Can post a HJT log if you like but it looks OK to me.

CHeers

(OK managed to get MSSE to update but nothing else is different from the above)

(OK just found out it's a hacked copy so I'm putting it down to that and returning the box to its owner. )

Edited by Director

(OK just found out it's a hacked copy so I'm putting it down to that and returning the box to its owner. )

Yep best thing to do rather than going round in circles trying to fix something that has been deliberately broken so it can avoid WGA and validation.

Hmm... using hacked windows is not smart anymore, they will find you and they will shut you out pretty quickly.

Approach the customer and inform them that there software is not legal or though i'm sure there already well aware of that.

Like Ali said there is no point in tripping over your own feet trying to fix software thats been corrupted to pass security features.

Edited by ice cold

Yup all organised, they're going to get a genuine copy at which time I'll do a format/reinstall. Wish I'd have known sooner though, wasted a whole day trying to sort that shit out.

Yup all organised, they're going to get a genuine copy at which time I'll do a format/reinstall. Wish I'd have known sooner though, wasted a whole day trying to sort that shit out.

I decided some time ago, no COA on the case, it's pirated and work from there.

Yes retail versions don't normally have a case sticker, but I think only one PC I have looked had a legal retail windows install.

May also be worth mentioning to the owner (if he prevaricates) that some of those activation bypass things have trojans in them that can happily steal any other software install keys that are on the PC. Legit or otherwise.

So he may actually lose access to legally bought software (game keys are a favourite to half inch).

Edited by aliali

for future knowledge, If it updated before the virus and didnt after, check your HOSTS file, it'll be redirecting data usually.

Possibly related: I've seen a virus going around my office that blocks access to windows and virus scanner sites. To temporarily get access to these sites, type 'net stop dnscache' in the command line.