Sign in to follow this  
xclusve

Corsair Obsidian Case

HI everyone im new to the forums and well i thought id see what every thinks of the new Corsair Obsidian 800D Case as i am building a new system and looking at going for the the corsair case but a lil unsure...

FYI here are the specs im looking at

1 x Corsair Obsidian 800D Case

1 x Corsair 1000W CMPSU-1000HX PSU

1 x Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz LGA1366 Quad-Core CPU With 8MB Cache

1 x Zalman CNPS10X Extreme CPU Cooler

2 x Kingston HyperX 6Gb Kit Triple Channel (KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/6GX)

1 x Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 ATX Mainboard

2 x Gigabyte N480D5-15I-B GTX 480 1536MB Graphics Card

1 x LG GH22NS50 22/12X Dual-Layer DVD±R/RW SATA Drive (Black)

1 x Corsair Force Series 120GB SSD 2.5" MLC SSD, 285/275MB/Sec, SATA II

3 x Hitachi 2TB Deskstar 7K2000 7200rpm HDD

2 x BenQ G2420HDBL 24" 16:9 Widescreen Multimedia LCD Monitor - 5ms Response

1 x Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard

1 x Razer Mamba Gaming Mouse

I love how the case looks but most reviews seem to put this case as not so great for air cooling, it has limited intake which pulls air from the PSU compartment and due to it being so large the airflow isn't directed over the main components. The case probably makes a better water cooling case for those reasons. I almost brought this case, and that's the reason I didn't for a 400 dollar case it gets beaten on cooling by 150 dollar cases.

should factor in some earmuffs, 2 gtx 480's are going to be loud :P

you should consider cutting down on some non essentialls to and get a decent screen like a dell 27" U2711 or 30" 3008WFP.

something more along the lines of the following would be more suitable:

-i7 930

-2 HD5870's

-Gigabyte UD3R X58

-6gb corsair 1600mhz xms ram

-HX650 PSU

-60gb ocz vertex 2 SSD

-1TB samsung F3 (non green) backup HDD

-Corsair 700D case

-Noctua U12P SE Heat sink

-Pioneer sata dvd burner

-win 7 home premium 64bit

should set you back about $3k and $1k for a U2711 screen or $1500 for a 3008wfp screen.

Edited by nesquick

should factor in some earmuffs, 2 gtx 480's are going to be loud :P

you should consider cutting down on some non essentialls to and get a decent screen like a dell 27" U2711 or 30" 3008WFP.

something more along the lines of the following would be more suitable:

-i7 930

-2 HD5870's

-Gigabyte UD3R X58

-6gb corsair 1600mhz xms ram

-HX650 PSU

-60gb ocz vertex 2 SSD

-1TB samsung F3 (non green) backup HDD

-Corsair 700D case

-Noctua U12P SE Heat sink

-Pioneer sata dvd burner

-win 7 home premium 64bit

should set you back about $3k and $1k for a U2711 screen or $1500 for a 3008wfp screen.

Totally what this dude said U2711 all the way.

It's not the best air cooled case, but i fixed the problem by installing a 140mm fan as an intake fan at the front of the case by removing a few of the 5 1/4 inch drive bay covers. I'm not sure the 140mm fasn that come with the case are all that good, but i don't see the point in spending another $80 on fans to drop the temps by only a few degrees. I also have 3 120's on the top of the case.

It's a nice case, but no it's not the best case for air cooling.

Edited by smakme7757

It's not the best air cooled case, but i fixed the problem by installing a 140mm fan as an intake fan at the front of the case by removing a few of the 5 1/4 inch drive bay covers. I'm not sure the 140mm fasn that come with the case are all that good, but i don't see the point in spending another $80 on fans to drop the temps by only a few degrees. I also have 3 120's on the top of the case.

It's a nice case, but no it's not the best case for air cooling.

yeh wat he said :D I've got the same case and I too placed a fan where I would not be using any extra drives....

also my 5970 intake fan seems to line up over the 140mm intake fan at the bottom of the case rather well too....

HI everyone im new to the forums and well i thought id see what every thinks of the new Corsair Obsidian 800D Case as i am building a new system and looking at going for the the corsair case but a lil unsure...

Any particular reason why you're wanting to buy the most expensive parts on the market?

Nesquick's build is much better imo. Cheaper too.

Any particular reason why you're wanting to buy the most expensive parts on the market?

Nesquick's build is much better imo. Cheaper too.

Not realli i dont realli look at how much something costs thats all prolly because i work for a guy who runs a computer shop so i can get things cheaper at cost price

On the topic of water cooling.... anyone know of any neat looking/realli good water cooling kits however must be blue!

i found this one listed below

http://www.amatech.com/computing/product/aragon/aragon.htm

not sure if its any good or not everyones thoughts are muchly appreciated

don't get a kit, build it yourself.

also no need for the 600 motherboard. be better off with a ex58-ud3r.

Edited by raxo55

Yea I wud only build it myself only mate I'd never ever get a kit lol

Yea I wud only build it myself only mate I'd never ever get a kit lol

On the topic of water cooling.... anyone know of any neat looking/realli good water cooling kits however must be blue!

lol?

just ask around if your unsure about it. theres plenty of people here who can help you out.

You work in a computer shop and your asking for our advice?

I think he said he has a friend who works in a computer shop. With that being said i could work in a computer shop, but I'd still have questions :P

I don't really see a problem with buying the best components. The only place i see people wasting money is on motherboards. Why buy a motherboard supporting 4 way SLI and Crossfire when you are only ever going to use 1 graphics card. But then again I'm a big fan of options and if your opening up your wallet who's to say you wont invest in another two graphic cards down the track.

Edited by smakme7757

OMG I just priced this build and it comes in at a WOPPING $5370 including Windows7.

I don't know your circumstances and needs but alot of your build seems to be excessive and a big waste of money.

Unless of coarse you need 1000 Watts, you need 12GB RAM, you need 6TB Hard drive space.

Then I look at the price of the GA-X58A-UD9 and neerly fall of my seat, $629?

Finally you chose 2x1536MB GTX480s to drive 2 monitors that have a 1920x1080 resolution OMG?

Just seems you went though the catalog and chose the most expensive items, for example the mouse and keyboard you selected.

I'm suprised you didn't throw in an i7 980X for good measure.

As for the case, IMO to justify the price it would have to last a few builds but most importantly it is ultimately upto you if you like it or not and prepared to pay $380 for a case.

My advise to you is something like this

CPU: $362 I7-930 (MSY)

HsinkF: $39 Thermalright Cogage TRUE Spirit (PCCG) ///want something better Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B+noctura fan

Themal paste : $15 artic silver or somthing good

MoBo: $276 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard (MSY)

RAM: $239 G.Skill PI Series F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 (PCCG)

GFX: $457 Gigabyte HD5870 1GB (MSY)

HDD: $ 99 Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ (PCCG)

SSD: $475 Patriot Inferno 100GB SandForce SSD (MSY) /// save some $$ and get a 60GB SSD

DVD: $ 26 Liteon SATA DVDRW (black) (MSY)

PSU: $149 Corsair HX-650 Power Supply CMPSU-650HX (PCCG or MSY)

LCD: 2x$448 27" DVI LG W2753V-PF (MSY)

CASE: $347 Corsair Obsidian 700D Case (PCCG) /// save some $$ and get a Fractal R2 Case

KB: $79 Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Mouse: $34 Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Total:$3506

Then if you really need more HDD space in the future, you can always wack another one in. Plus as newer games are released and you require more graphics power you can buy the latest graphics card at the time.

To sum up though, I dont know what your needs are so it could be possible some of the items you selected really are needed. *shrug*

Im using it for gaming and my partner using it all her drafting and designing work I was going to get the thermaltake level 10 but CBC waiting for my mate at anyware to get one in from taiwan

I think he said he has a friend who works in a computer shop. With that being said i could work in a computer shop, but I'd still have questions :P

I don't really see a problem with buying the best components. The only place i see people wasting money is on motherboards. Why buy a motherboard supporting 4 way SLI and Crossfire when you are only ever going to use 1 graphics card. But then again I'm a big fan of options and if your opening up your wallet who's to say you wont invest in another two graphic cards down the track.

Yes I was looking at investing in an extra 2 GTX 480 cards later on

You play BC2 at all xclusve like competitively?

nope no online playing just wen I go to LANs and what not later on I might upgrade get the extreme i7 CPU

Edited by xclusve

OMG I just priced this build and it comes in at a WOPPING $5370 including Windows7.

I don't know your circumstances and needs but alot of your build seems to be excessive and a big waste of money.

I think a lot of people in this thread are jumping to conclusions. Maybe this guy just wants the best of the best and if he has the disposable income to buy it why the hell not? Why do people seem to take it so personally that someone joins our forums and wants to buy the best kit money can buy! If i had 5k to drop on a PC, i would, no questions asked.

For all you know he is mega rich, his dad is mega rich, he had a granddad who was mega rich or he has plain and simply saved up the cash to buy a beast of a machine!

Sounds like sour grapes to me!

Edited by smakme7757

[\quote]

just so then u are aware I'm not getting any OS for it as I know a guy with windows 7 64bit MS VLC copy

I think a lot of people in this thread are jumping to conclusions. Maybe this guy just wants the best of the best and if he has the disposable income to buy it why the hell not? Why do people seem to take it so personally that someone joins our forums and wants to buy the best kit money can buy! If i had 5k to drop on a PC, i would, no questions asked.

For all you know he is mega rich, his dad is mega rich, he had a granddad who was mega rich or he has plain and simply saved up the cash to buy a beast of a machine!

haha I wudnt exactly say mega rich but yea I dnt strugle paying the bills that's for sure lol and also it's about 7k after I finish buying everything else like speakers, desk, chair all the fans for the case and a much high end sound card

to me spending $5k on a box alone is a bit stupid, spending $5k on a really good screen, box sound card speakers ect is not :)

Yes I was looking at investing in an extra 2 GTX 480 cards later on

your going to need 2 powersupplys for that my man, I have seen 4 of them burn out 1.5KW power supplys Edited by nesquick

I know everyone has said about the motherboard being crazy, but it makes sense with the rest of the rest of the system being kinda crazy as well. I have just one question -- why select the slowest i7 available, it seems like a waste when you have gone premium on everything else. At the very lest there should be some kind of crazy CPU in there!

I know everyone has said about the motherboard being crazy, but it makes sense with the rest of the rest of the system being kinda crazy as well. I have just one question -- why select the slowest i7 available, it seems like a waste when you have gone premium on everything else. At the very lest there should be some kind of crazy CPU in there!

That is a very good question you have asked... thou apart from the extreme cpu whats other would you say to get?

Other then the CPU it all looks pretty sound. You may just want to check the power supply though if you end up with getting something like a I7 980X. The power draw between the 980X and dual 480GTX's would be rather large, especially if you start throwing overclocking into the mix. Some of the guys may be able to confirm the 1kW PSU really is an issue or not though. Are you looking at overclocking, because if you opt for a better CPU you may want to look into some more extreme cooling then the Zalman CNPS10X, especially considering the specs of the rest of the system. That's my .00002 AUD anyway -- goodluck with cracking the meaning of life on that thing, shouldn't take you long!