Sign in to follow this  
xclusve

Corsair Obsidian Case

Other then the CPU it all looks pretty sound. You may just want to check the power supply though if you end up with getting something like a I7 980X. The power draw between the 980X and dual 480GTX's would be rather large, especially if you start throwing overclocking into the mix. Some of the guys may be able to confirm the 1kW PSU really is an issue or not though. Are you looking at overclocking, because if you opt for a better CPU you may want to look into some more extreme cooling then the Zalman CNPS10X, especially considering the specs of the rest of the system. That's my .00002 AUD anyway -- goodluck with cracking the meaning of life on that thing, shouldn't take you long!

maybe something more along the lines of the Intel Core i7 960??

Problem with jumping to the 960 is it's only a tiny jump in speed for something double the price, you are better overclocking to make up the difference. No chance of getting that 980X? 6 cores and unlocked multplier!

Problem with jumping to the 960 is it's only a tiny jump in speed for something double the price, you are better overclocking to make up the difference. No chance of getting that 980X? 6 cores and unlocked multplier!

there is just not exactly right now as i have like a invoice for like 30k worth of custom work to pay for on my car! but later on i will more the likely invest in a much higher CPU like the 980X and hopefully by then the price would have dropped!

In that case the 930 is a safe choice until you're ready, there may even be a 985X by then going by some rumours! I hear the 950 is meant to be released soon to replace the 930 but running at 3GHz instead of 2.8GHz. Good luck with whatever you end up going with and enjoy the new rig!

In that case the 930 is a safe choice until you're ready, there may even be a 985X by then going by some rumours! I hear the 950 is meant to be released soon to replace the 930 but running at 3GHz instead of 2.8GHz. Good luck with whatever you end up going with and enjoy the new rig!

well if thats the case i mose well hold off and wait until the new one is released to upgrade the cpu and then look at water-cooling

there is just not exactly right now as i have like a invoice for like 30k worth of custom work to pay for on my car! but later on i will more the likely invest in a much higher CPU like the 980X and hopefully by then the price would have dropped!

you have 30000 in car fee's due, and you have decided to buy a 5000 computer.

man you make some weird financial decisions.

you have 30000 in car fee's due, and you have decided to buy a 5000 computer.

man you make some weird financial decisions.

hahahahaha thou i dont have to pay the car off straight away its good having mates who run the shops that sell the services and things your into! i use my car as a national show car so that wins me money as well which normally pays for the changes and mods and changes that are done to the car so the other money i have pays for everything else in life

Edited by xclusve

to me spending $5k on a box alone is a bit stupid.

You can't honestly tell me that if you had the cash you wouldn't buy the absolute best PC money can buy? There is no one this forum that could honestly say they do not wish they had a lazy 5k to spend on the box alone!

You can't honestly tell me that if you had the cash you wouldn't buy the absolute best PC money can buy? There is no one this forum that could honestly say they do not wish they had a lazy 5k to spend on the box alone!

I can honestly say I wouldn't, I would spend $3k on the box and $2k on peripherals, after about ~$2500 the performance gains are marginal.

Did anyone read what I said about the PSU not being adequate for 4 GTX 480's? or did it fall on deaf ears because I have seen it before they draw so much power it causes the 24pin motherboard connector to melt.

Edited by nesquick

Yeah I would, but not on the parts he is getting.

I don't see the point of spending twice as much on ram, when it wont make a difference.

I don't see the point of buying a $600 if you're not going to use all its features, and lets face it, if he is asking us questions about a build, then I doubt he will be.

I don't see the point of buying a case for the sake of it being expensive when there are better ones on the market that do everything better.

I don't see the point of wasting money 2 over priced gpus when you only need 1 at the time.

If I had 5k to drop on a PC, I'd be going for an eyefinity setup with an expensive surround sound setup. 3k on peripherals and 2k on the machine and it would still do the same shit as his 5k box.

Yeah I would, but not on the parts he is getting.

I don't see the point of spending twice as much on ram, when it wont make a difference.

I don't see the point of buying a $600 if you're not going to use all its features, and lets face it, if he is asking us questions about a build, then I doubt he will be.

I don't see the point of buying a case for the sake of it being expensive when there are better ones on the market that do everything better.

I don't see the point of wasting money 2 over priced gpus when you only need 1 at the time.

If I had 5k to drop on a PC, I'd be going for an eyefinity setup with an expensive surround sound setup. 3k on peripherals and 2k on the machine and it would still do the same shit as his 5k box.

I made a statement that no one would say no to spending 5k on the box alone, what ever you have in it doesn't really, 5k is 5k it doesn't matter if you fill it with 480's or 5970's, amd or intel, vibrators or tractors. I don't know about you guys, but i don't remember saying that i even liked his build and yes i'm sure some of the parts were choosen with little research or thought.

But

Your writing here saying he is buying parts which gives a somewhat marginal performance increase over some of the more reasonably priced hardware; yet both of you have upgraded your systems and graphics card at least twice since 2009. I don't really understand the logic. It's not cheaper to Buy an E8600, then change platform and get a Core i7 6 months later then swap out a 4890 for a 5850. I really think you're all being a bit hypocritical!

It's been proven that if you game you don't need anything more than a core 2 duo or phenom II and a 5850 or a GTX 280 yet here we are with GTX 295's, Crossfire configurations, you all went from a decent core 2 duo platform to a core i7 and for what? More points in 3Dmark vantage. I really don't see how you can talk about value for money and not understand that you are in the same boat as this guy lol.

Edited by smakme7757

I paid 400 dollars for my 2 5850s after selling my 4870x2 - which wasn't performing to my standards.

My q9550 was a good cpu, however my girlfriend needed a new mobo and cpu, so easiest thing to do was sell off her old barely working crap and buy an i7 and give her my old gear.

I updated out of necessity, not because I wanted higher vantage scores.

Go take a look in those benchmarks threads and see how often I post.

The 5xxx thread was for a first look at the 5xxx series in crossfire configurations, not an e-peen thing.

I rarely bench.

I'm sure as hell not jealous :)

If I were rich then chances are high I'd have a $10k box, but its a bit hard to think like a rich man when money is one of the biggest concerns in my life right now.

I cbf writing about this anymore, but no one here is a saint when it comes to tech. When something new comes out even i want to justify buying. Each new GPU and CPU release makes my mouth water!

If I were rich then chances are high I'd have a $10k box, but its a bit hard to think like a rich man when money is one of the biggest concerns in my life right now.

My point exactly. Oh and as a friend, money troubles always go away.

Unless you buy yourself an Nissan Skyline R34 for $30,000 at 18 years of age and wrap it around a light pole 3 weeks later (happened to a mate of mine) he is still bankrupt! 7 years later.

Edited by smakme7757

wow.

light pole aside, why the fuck would anyone spend $30,000 on an 18 year old skyline!?

For the upteenth time...

Its not about how much money you spend, its about arriving at a price/performance ratio sweet spot.

I cbf writing about this anymore, but no one here is a saint when it comes to tech. When something new comes out even i want to justify buying. Each new GPU and CPU release makes my mouth water!

My point exactly. Oh and as a friend, money troubles always go away.

Unless you buy yourself an Nissan Skyline R34 for $30,000 at 18 years of age and wrap it around a light pole 3 weeks later (happened to a mate of mine) he is still bankrupt! 7 years later.

how can someone be bankrupt for 7 years? IIRC its something you declare once and once only.

wow.

light pole aside, why the fuck would anyone spend $30,000 on an 18 year old skyline!?

R34 was released in 1998 and it was 7 years ago making the car only 5 years old when he got it.

how can someone be bankrupt for 7 years? IIRC its something you declare once and once only.

When you go bankrupt you cannot (you can apply, but you usually get NO as a reply) take up a loan or apply for any sort of credit for 7 years (it might be 5 i don't remember). Some people can't even have a telephone that is not pre paid. He went bankrupt, but he was forced in court to still pay damages for the light pole to not end up in jail for 6 months. Fucked up big time.

It's not a get out of jail free card. You can't have 100,000 in debt and then go bankrupt and then you can start over again. No sir. If you declare bankruptcy it's a fucking big decision. It is possible to be bankrupt more than once, but I'm pretty sure it's a 7 year period before you can declare it again. basicly if you go bankrupt at the age of 18 you have really destroyed yourself financially.

Found it - it appears on your credit statement for 7 years. Source: http://www.moneyhelp.org.au/Your-Debt-Opti...%20is%20serious

The effects of bankruptcy

When you become bankrupt:

* you can keep household goods and personal effects like a television, computer and furniture of reasonable value; and

* the fact of your bankruptcy will appear on your credit report for seven years and on a public record known as the National Personal Insolvency Index for life; and

* you may lose some of your assets (see next section) including your house and a car worth more than $6,500; and

* you can earn a restricted income; and

* you must continue to pay your Child support, Centrelink and Higher Education debts, and any court fines.

So trust me it's not to be taken lightly!

Edited by smakme7757

yea I know most of the ins and outs of it, fact is compulsary insurance or even 3rd party would have covered that light post had he not been racing.

wow.

Correct me if im wrong but he said buying a $30,000 skyline R34 AT 18 years of age so im guessing he was 18 when he got the skyline, and well i cant realli talk cause i was 18 when i got my car anbut then i went and spent 60k on modding it and im still doing the same thing 5 years later

For the upteenth time...

Its not about how much money you spend, its about arriving at a price/performance ratio sweet spot.

This.

I don't think I could justify spending 5k on a box when 2k is more than enough.

However, I can see why someone would want to. But with a box like that, the person building is going to want to know a fair bit about computers...

For the upteenth time...

This.

I don't think I could justify spending 5k on a box when 2k is more than enough.

However, I can see why someone would want to. But with a box like that, the person building is going to want to know a fair bit about computers...

Hence why im building it myself... thou i will upload pictures of the build once i am complete and once i get back to Perth at the end of July!

wow.

Correct me if im wrong but he said buying a $30,000 skyline R34 AT 18 years of age so im guessing he was 18 when he got the skyline, and well i cant realli talk cause i was 18 when i got my car anbut then i went and spent 60k on modding it and im still doing the same thing 5 years later

My bad, I misread it.

I don't know anything about skyline models, but I was getting at paying a lot for an old car - Not paying alot of money for a car.

'The Perfect PC' - Would do me nicely!

What an edit! lol!

Edited by bushi

I don't know anything about skyline models, but I was getting at paying a lot for an old car - Not paying alot of money for a car.

pretty much R32, R33 and R34 depending on model are some of the greatest production cars of all time period, worth any price. Edited by nesquick