Sign in to follow this  
xclusve

Corsair Obsidian Case

Hi exlusve, im from Perth too. I hope my post wasn't offensive, we are just trying to help you build a computer that is good price/performer.

I wasnt having ago at you for spending $5.3k on a computer system... It's more about what you put that money towards and if you let us help you select parts for your build im sure you will end up with a quality system that will be sound economically and performance wise.

So I asked these questions to help build what you need rather than the $$$ factor. If you just want the best PC and periferals that $5.3k can buy we can do that too :D. But seriously need some questions answered if your interested.

1.do you need 6TB of HDD space?

Would it make sence to buy 1TB or 2TB drive and add more later if needed?

2.Do you need 12GB of RAM?

Would'nt 6GB of RAM make better sence, trust me m8 4GB is heaps, so 6GB would be in a high end system. Honestly you might as well throw $200 in a fire casue you will not notice the difference in a 12GB system from a 6GB system.

3.Do you need 2x480 graphics cards, the simple answer is robably no. Not when you intend to buy 2x24" 1920x1080 resolution monitors. Trust me, buy 1 good card now and in 18-24mths buy a new one. (it will be better and probably around the same cost) Unless of coarse your running 30"Dell monitors max res and max settings.

4.Do you really need all the features on the UD9 Motherboard, you could buy 2 motherboards and have change for the cost of one of them. What if a new socket CPU comes out, or DDR5 requiring new motherboards come out. Youll be stuck with a $600+ Mobo. Best work out what you need, add in some future buffering features just in case perhaps.

5. the Case you selected is very nice, altho on the pricey side. This is totally your call. It is very large and will definatly acommodate future builds/upgrades. I remember the days when I had the disposable income and an interest in computers where I bought a $500 case, it lasted me 3 builds and 6 years of service. The problem is that now I relise it was a waste of money. I could have bought 2 or 3 cases in that time for $500 if I really needed to and get something more modern. For example it had 90mm fans but I later wanted 120mm fans but was stuck with a $500 case. Same with todays cases, USB3 is coming out, in a year or more you'll see all cases coming out with USB3 connections.

6. The monitors, These I feel are a vital part of any build. In the end this is the part you see and interact with. Ideally your monitors will last you many years and possably many upgrades and new builds. In a $5k+ budget it could be worth considering the 27" or 30" Dell but they are expensive. Personally I find the new range of 27" 1080p monitors good value for money, they all look and perform very simmilar so the LG would be my recommendation at $450 each.

Hi exlusve, im from Perth too. I hope my post wasn't offensive, we are just trying to help you build a computer that is good price/performer.

I wasnt having ago at you for spending $5.3k on a computer system... It's more about what you put that money towards and if you let us help you select parts for your build im sure you will end up with a quality system that will be sound economically and performance wise.

So I asked these questions to help build what you need rather than the $$$ factor. If you just want the best PC and periferals that $5.3k can buy we can do that too :D. But seriously need some questions answered if your interested.

1.do you need 6TB of HDD space?

Would it make sence to buy 1TB or 2TB drive and add more later if needed?

2.Do you need 12GB of RAM?

Would'nt 6GB of RAM make better sence, trust me m8 4GB is heaps, so 6GB would be in a high end system. Honestly you might as well throw $200 in a fire casue you will not notice the difference in a 12GB system from a 6GB system.

3.Do you need 2x480 graphics cards, the simple answer is robably no. Not when you intend to buy 2x24" 1920x1080 resolution monitors. Trust me, buy 1 good card now and in 18-24mths buy a new one. (it will be better and probably around the same cost) Unless of coarse your running 30"Dell monitors max res and max settings.

4.Do you really need all the features on the UD9 Motherboard, you could buy 2 motherboards and have change for the cost of one of them. What if a new socket CPU comes out, or DDR5 requiring new motherboards come out. Youll be stuck with a $600+ Mobo. Best work out what you need, add in some future buffering features just in case perhaps.

5. the Case you selected is very nice, altho on the pricey side. This is totally your call. It is very large and will definatly acommodate future builds/upgrades. I remember the days when I had the disposable income and an interest in computers where I bought a $500 case, it lasted me 3 builds and 6 years of service. The problem is that now I relise it was a waste of money. I could have bought 2 or 3 cases in that time for $500 if I really needed to and get something more modern. For example it had 90mm fans but I later wanted 120mm fans but was stuck with a $500 case. Same with todays cases, USB3 is coming out, in a year or more you'll see all cases coming out with USB3 connections.

6. The monitors, These I feel are a vital part of any build. In the end this is the part you see and interact with. Ideally your monitors will last you many years and possably many upgrades and new builds. In a $5k+ budget it could be worth considering the 27" or 30" Dell but they are expensive. Personally I find the new range of 27" 1080p monitors good value for money, they all look and perform very simmilar so the LG would be my recommendation at $450 each.

Its all good mate i just wanted to see what people thought i never expected it to go on so long LOL... thou just a question where abouts you live in Perth? And where do you shop for your computer parts? What do you think of simline solutions (www.simline.com.au)

1) Yes i do as i already have about 3TB of data on hard drives laying around and also because my partner does a lot of drafting and cartography work and some of her work can get up to around the 4Gb each file.

2) 12Gb of RAM, most likely however more memory i have the better it looks! :o)

3) And once again properly not, however im looking at changing monitors to something bigger eg, dell 27" or 30"

4) Once i get my better CPU im looking at over clocking and i hear and have read that the UD9 is great for over-clocking so i guess im just taking my chances

5) And yes one thing i was looking for a in a case was have hot swappable bays and the only 2 case that had that were the Thermaltake level 10-($750) and the corsair obsidian 800D so i went for the cheaper option.... and also something that looks good as well and i am very picky when it comes to case's and a lot of people more then likely are too

6) Well like i have said just before im looking at getting some different LCD screens just i want not only some of the best but also something that can handle a high res

And all in all i thank everyone for their thoughts and ideas and yeah so thanks people!

North Perth.

I found MSY in Balcatta to have the best prices , but I go to Austins if MSY dont have a part I need. I found Austins have some items cheaper like CPU's but most parts are cheeper at MSY. I've not heard of simline but I'll have a look.

Sounds like you have your heart/mind set on the parts you have selected so I wont waste time trying to help you price up a PC build. All the best.

xclusve. really. don't get the UD9. it's insanely pointless. go for an EX58-UD3R, they are great overclockers anyway and aren't $600.

xclusve. really. don't get the UD9. it's insanely pointless. go for an EX58-UD3R, they are great overclockers anyway and aren't $600.

if you can give me a realli good reason apart from its pointless and the fact that i most likely wont use ALL its features then i will get a different mainboard

North Perth.

I found MSY in Balcatta to have the best prices , but I go to Austins if MSY dont have a part I need. I found Austins have some items cheaper like CPU's but most parts are cheeper at MSY. I've not heard of simline but I'll have a look.

Sounds like you have your heart/mind set on the parts you have selected so I wont waste time trying to help you price up a PC build. All the best.

Ahh ok wicked yeah i go through simline.com.au sometimes their prices may not be the best but i found its also more about the service and after sales as well as prices... i hear they are releasing a new website soon in coming months so that should be the best website in the computer market... its gonna have up to date stock levels from all the major suppliers around the country and geographic ip address detection so it will automatically detect your ip address for ordering/shipping

Leave him have it if he wants it that bad.

It's not like it really matters if all the features aren't being used.

He's got the money and wants the best regardless of whether he will occupy the full potentional of the hardware.

here's a really good reason. it's a waste of money. for 250 you can get the UD3R. thing about it, thats 350 you save by not buying something you really don't need and won't use all the features of.

here's a really good reason. it's a waste of money. for 250 you can get the UD3R. thing about it, thats 350 you save by not buying something you really don't need and won't use all the features of.

that WOULD be a realli good reason IF i didnt have the money to spare so realli to me its not a waste of money because i will use all the features in the end when i end up over clocking later down the track

Leave him have it if he wants it that bad.

It's not like it really matters if all the features aren't being used.

He's got the money and wants the best regardless of whether he will occupy the full potentional of the hardware.

Thank you! LOL

I have to agree with raxo55 , its a huge waste of money but all you can do is post and hope to get some sence out of it. Not going to mention another waste of on an extra 6 GB of RAM and a waste on 2 of the top of the range graphics cards to run 24" 1080p monitors.

Prime example of a good build, look at "My first PC build" post.. the OP has listend and come up with a great system.

Edited by Harro2

He just came here purely to show off.

It's pretty obvious.

Well no i came on here to see what people think and its clear that no-body agrees with the hardware i have chosen but i guess thats life!

Either way you wouldn't have changed your mind on anything that anyone would have suggested though.

You asked what other people think, they told you, you disagreed, hardware remains the same and end of thread.

Edited by bushi

Either way you wouldn't have changed your mind on anything that anyone would have suggested though.

You asked what other people think, they told you, you disagreed, hardware remains the same and end of thread.

no i have changed things that people have suggested eg LCD's

no i have changed things that people have suggested eg LCD's

one issue that still stands out for me is the PSU, while fine for 2 GTX480's if you add a 3rd one or 4th you will need to do some serious thinking on how your going to power the machine.

He just came here purely to show off.

It's pretty obvious.

I would too if i was going to buy all the top of the range stuff! I would gloat like a goat and sing to heavens.

The only thing that i consider a waste of money would be 3 or 4x GTX 480s, two i can wholeheartedly understand, but 3 and 4 won't scale well at all. And as Nesquick said you might have to start mucking around with two power supplies.

4x GTX 480s do produce a nice Vantage score though (With LN2 to keep them at a respectable temp of course):

Posted Image

Edited by smakme7757

4x GTX 480s do produce a nice Vantage score though (With LN2 to keep them at a respectable temp of course):

no shit =P