Sign in to follow this  
Neo-SiN

What's with all the 'Room for rent FEMALE only'?

I'm looking for a new place, and a brief browse of accommodation listing on gumtree reveals that about 30 of the first 40 adverts are 'FEMALE ONLY'. By comparison, there was only about 3 advertised for guys. I mean, I remember advertising my old place and for most of the 4 years I was living there we had 2 guys, 2 girls, but at one point we had 3 guys and the girl was moving out, so I marked the adverts as female preferred to keep the balance. But surely there must be houses out there with two many girls in them? My two current housemates are both chicks and they have both told me that guys are easier to live with?

So what's up with all the female only accommodation?

Probably just seedy guys looking for women to crack onto.

Just put up your own advertisement asking for a room.

Gumtree is free for that kind of shit I think.

The vast majority of those are likely share-room, or girls who prefer to not have to worry too much about wandering around their house in underwear.. or have to see men doing the same thing.

When I was living in Chippendale, half the two bedroom flats around me had 5 non-coupled people in them.

But surely there must be houses out there with two many girls in them?

Such a situation isn't possible.

I used to think that till I saw the bitchy sniping between three female house mates. The poor lone male house mate got caught in the middle most times and hated it. He got out as soon as practicable.

that and most women are cleaner than males.

I know people who "prefer" females. they are cleaner, stick to themselves and don't normally make a fuss.

Its the same as asking for "non smokers" really, they want non smokes because smokers stink up the room.

A combination of pervy men seeking easy tang, and women seeking to avoid pervy men seeking easy tang.

I guess that makes it hard to find a new place for...

nah, far too easy. :P

Edited by Juggalo Scrub

I used to think that till I saw the bitchy sniping between three female house mates. The poor lone male house mate got caught in the middle most times and hated it. He got out as soon as practicable.

Yeah, I've heard that a lot. I guess maybe a lot of them are just younger renters who haven't lived in a house full of women before.

The vast majority of those are likely share-room, or girls who prefer to not have to worry too much about wandering around their house in underwear.. or have to see men doing the same thing.

When I was living in Chippendale, half the two bedroom flats around me had 5 non-coupled people in them.

One of my stunningly hot friends walks around her house in her underwear, she lives with two guys, so envious... On the other hand I was sleeping with her, but still.

Edited by Neo-SiN

Women get on better together and men want a chick cause they think they may be able to fuck them.

and quite possibly the opposite right?

yeah, and there may be toilet-seat politics involved unless everyone has their own bathroom.

Yeah, I've heard that a lot. I guess maybe a lot of them are just younger renters who haven't lived in a house full of women before.

hehe... I'll bite :p - 1shot was referring to your spelling mistake, and answered your question as such.

CE out.

Do guys actually advertise for "Female Only"? :S I wouldn't have thought that worked, I would've thought that if I were a girl I'd stay away from a male advertising for "Female Only."

But that might just show how little I know about girls :P

Rob.

It'd come down to any type of share house situation. You'd apply first and sit through an interview. They decide if they like you, and vice versa.

If someone is looking for a place to live, i doubt that would be much of a turn off.

Maybe there are just a lot of lesbians out there?

that's what we were all thinking probably.

Do guys actually advertise for "Female Only"? :S I wouldn't have thought that worked, I would've thought that if I were a girl I'd stay away from a male advertising for "Female Only."

But that might just show how little I know about girls :P

Rob.

I have no idea whether guys do that, but as I said I have previously advertised as females preferred (well, normally you have 3 radio buttons Males pref, females pref, no pref, I just select females pref). I think it's a bit different to say "Females Only" in the actual description, as opposed to selecting a button regarding preferences. I think in general I prefer to live in a house with a roughly even balance of girls/guys, so it was just that one situation where we had ended up with 3 guys and 1 girl and the girl was moving out - previously it had always been two of each.

I don't ever see the opposite situation occuring (being a guy myself), because I would have to be living in a 5 bedroom house with 3 girls and one person moving out - but in that hypothetical situation, I think I would advertise as males preferred.

hehe... I'll bite :p - 1shot was referring to your spelling mistake, and answered your question as such.

CE out.

For once, I wasn't.

Do guys actually advertise for "Female Only"?

http://www.news.com.au/offers-of-free-rent...0-1111118856291

Why are you looking for a new place to live?

My house got sold, I got given 30 days notice at the start of Stuvac (5th June), my exams finished on the 22 June, I've been organising a camp for 90 people for 30th June - 2nd July (I booked the venue in November last year), and I have to be out by the 5th July. So all in all, I'm pretty fucking busy.

If you sold your house, wouldn't you have known a bit earlier that you had move out at some stage?

Not if he didn't own the house.

It could have been sold privately, without any advertisement.

Rob.

If you sold your house, wouldn't you have known a bit earlier that you had move out at some stage?

Then it wouldn't have been his house, would it?

Then it wouldn't have been his house, would it?
Yes it would have, something can be described as "mine" even if I don't own it.

In other words, "my" does not necessarily imply ownership. It can, for instance, be limited to possession.

Rob.

I know what he means. Looking around myself, and a number of places that seem good enough to go for end up having "Female only" , often not in the heading, but right at the end of the description. Annoying.