bowlen

HTC Desire v iPhone 4

i was just looking at a mates HTC Desire and i must say, im really impressed!

I actually really want one now. And...with the issues of reception for the iPhone, i am leading towards the Desire.

So i am asking you.

What are you thoughts on the HTC???

would you get one over the new iPhone?

most certainly and I have, I did, I love.

Now just waiting on the froyo 2.2 (manufacture release) update to come through.

I just went on the HTC website and it said its exclusive to tesltra...

Is that right?

thats correct, only for afew more months. purchased outright they are unlocked anyways.

waiting for the end of rights so hopefully a non branded desire rom will be available.

Is there any estimated time for that to happen?

I wouldn't want a telstra branded phone

apparently it was postponed, was scheduled for the 23rd.

I dont even notice the telstra stuff in the programs anymore, just glide straight past them. Also have nothing Telstra related on my home screens anyway.

I see, Well if im going to get one, i will NOT be getting it Telstra branded.

So i guess ill just wait.

It was something I was seriously thinking about before I had a play with iOS 4 and saw the reviews and camera tests coming out. I still reckon Android will overtake iOS sometime in the new future, but I'll probably go with the iPhone 4 this round for a few reasons. It's got a better camera, better battery life and from my subjective perspective, a better industrial design.

To a lessor extent, I also think it'll have better support and a higher resale value than Android equivalents. With the way Android is moving, phones over a year old are getting left behind. For example, HTC have confirmed that the Hero they released in June '09 won't be getting updated past 2.2. I'm sure you could hack future updates on there, but that's not really my style these days. I just want something that works, with minimal fuss.

Edited by tastywheat

goddam!

Why is it so hard!!!!!

iPhone 4 or HTC Desire!?!??!??!??!?!!??!??!

If you want the most flexibility and like to tinker: Desire.

If you don't mind Apple and iTunes, and want the best camera and battery life available in the current generation of hardware: iPhone

If you can wait 5 months, there'll be Windows Mobile 7 phones and a new wave of Android devices that will probably complete very favourably against the iPhone 4.

I have a HTC desire with TPG, who uses Optus as their carrier..

Ordered it on Ebay, had no issues on getting it to work here.

I feel its superior to the iPhone for how I use it, as a media player and timing device for workouts etc Camera for just fun stuff not serious photography, and a web browser when out and about.

=)

Is the Desire the latest HTC phone out?

I wouldn't want to get a phone and have it replaced immediately

simple....to punish us tech hungry cant wait must have now type of guys/girls.

goddam!

Why is it so hard!!!!!

wait until you can play with both.

I'm in the same boat. I've played with the Desire and it was great, but I want to play with the iPhone 4 before I decide.

In regard to what's important to me, screen clarity/sensitivity/accuracy and battery life, it appears the iPhone may have the edge. While they both have plenty of apps, there is little doubt most app developers opt for releasing on the iPhone first. This would piss me off over time if I had to wait for the apps I want under Android.

So I'm leaning toward the iPhone, but I'll wait until I can play with it...

goddam!

Why is it so hard!!!!!

wait until you can play with both.

I'm in the same boat. I've played with the Desire and it was great, but I want to play with the iPhone 4 before I decide.

In regard to what's important to me, screen clarity/sensitivity/accuracy and battery life, it appears the iPhone may have the edge. While they both have plenty of apps, there is little doubt most app developers opt for releasing on the iPhone first. This would piss me off over time if I had to wait for the apps I want under Android.

So I'm leaning toward the iPhone, but I'll wait until I can play with it...

Yeah thats true. I also like the fact that it all syncs with iTunes and music store etc.

Although, that being said, I have been majorly turned off by the reception issues with the iPhone.

If there is no issue with syncing it up to a mac (which is what i use as a main machine), then i think i will be getting a desire very soon.

My iphone contract expires very soon so i guess i can just use that sim card and continue with it as im getting a pretty good deal i think.

with the supplied cable I cant even see my Desire on my MBP, cant see my sd card at all. But also I havent chased up any downloads/installs required for it either, quite frankly I don't give a shit about my pos Apple.

For me it charges it and that'll do when I'm out and about.

Yeah thats true. I also like the fact that it all syncs with iTunes and music store etc.

Although, that being said, I have been majorly turned off by the reception issues with the iPhone.

If there is no issue with syncing it up to a mac (which is what i use as a main machine), then i think i will be getting a desire very soon.

My iphone contract expires very soon so i guess i can just use that sim card and continue with it as im getting a pretty good deal i think.

I'm not a fan of iTunes (I use Media Monkey), so that's not a big pull for me. As for the reception issues, I'm only aware of one, maybe I need to do a little more research! The one issue I know about is that holding the iPhone toward the base can reduce reception. This is because touching the metal band which is the antenna, can reduce its sensitivity. For me, I'd have a 'bumper' on the phone anyway, and so this isn't a problem.

There may be other issues as well, but this is the only one I'm aware of.

Fair enough.

I just had another play with the Desire and the more i look at it, the more i want it.

The only thing is, i don't want to spend $700 to get and and i don't want to go on telstra.

Hopefully it comes out other carries soon :D

after playing with my Desire, one of my mates went out and bought one. He was using Vodaphone then switched to Telstra. Really good deal he got- some form of pay as you go or prepaid deal (have to querie him more about it), anywayz he's got 750meg data per month (for telstra thats fukin huge). I asked him if he can tell the difference between the 2, the reply I got from him was "Fuck yeah".

That kills my idea, I was going to go from Telstra to vodaphone.

my memorie has just kickstarted alittle....my mate told me he opted for $10 for calls and the rest data, he uses the internet more than calling people.

The only thing is, i don't want to spend $700 to get and and i don't want to go on telstra.

As much as I hate Telstra, they do offer the best service out of the Australian providers. I'll be switching to them with my next handset. I'm fed up of dodgy data connections, dropped calls and the generally poor service I get on the Optus network. It's not worth the ~$15-20 saving and extra data I'd get per month, I'd prefer a service with better reliability.

If you want it cheap and unlocked, get it here:

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2749/...7c6a3d9df067a64

My brother and a few guys at uni got theirs from there, and they appear to be reliable. Will end up costing you $600 or so.

For me the only downside to those phones Cyb3r are the lack of nextG, for a telstra user such as myself i look at phones that are compatible with HSDPA/WCDMA 850Mhz. Apart from that....their freakin cheap.