bowlen

HTC Desire v iPhone 4

Does anyone here actually have an iPhone 4 yet to give a fair evaluation of?

I've played with the Dream, it's better than the nexus IMO.

I hear that the software in the galaxy s is prone to freezing etc... ANyone actually used one?

From who? I'm curious as I was playing around with a demo one and had one app "force quit" in the 10 minutes I used it. It was a third party app and was on before I got to the phone so didn't think much of it until your post. Probably nothing to worry about, might be an issue with the app itself.

General vibe from cyanogenmod and xda-developer forums is that the galaxy s is totally awesome hardware, with a crappy software stack on top of android.

It has been rooted, so removing the cruft or going with a custom ROM is an option.

General vibe from cyanogenmod and xda-developer forums is that the galaxy s is totally awesome hardware, with a crappy software stack on top of android.

It has been rooted, so removing the cruft or going with a custom ROM is an option.

Do you have to root it to get rid of the software stack on top of it? As far as I know, the main concern people have is the UI "enhancements" called TouchWiz, and that can easily be replaced or removed right?

God I hate iPhone's...

I do quite like HTC's. Have a soft spot for them. Fantastic phones and the new Android UI is a real killer from what I've read.

But at the end of the day, I'm a Nokia man haha.

I believe that TouchWiz can be removed, as long as you add in a separate launcher, ADWLauncher or LauncherPro or similar. In fact, you can use them without deleting TouchWiz or even rooting.

I don't actually have a Galaxy S, I'm still rockin a HTC Magic 32b (with google) Currently running Cyanogenmod 5.0.8 with the latest ADWLauncher, and previously I was running SuperD with the stock launcher completely replaced with ADW.

Ive been looking very closely at the Samsung Galaxy S, only thing Im hesitant about is the plasticness of it all. And the question of available accessories is another one. I want to actually get my hands on one and have a play, for a $49 cap its damn good value really

Just saw that Optus have announced their iPhone 4 cap plans...

https://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal...p;site=personal

16GB iPhone 4 is $0 upfront on the Extreme $59 Cap over 24mths

32GB is $0 upfront on the Extreme $79, dont look like bad caps either.

Ill hold out to see what Vodaphone offer first though before making a decision...

Though the Samsung Galaxy is still tempting on the $49 Cap. :P

As far as the iPhone 4 is concerned, I dont want to lock in to a $79 cap and dont see myself needing any more than 16gb.

I always refused to buy an iPhone but.... I think I'm giving in

Just saw that Optus have announced their iPhone 4 cap plans...

https://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal...p;site=personal

16GB iPhone 4 is $0 upfront on the Extreme $59 Cap over 24mths

32GB is $0 upfront on the Extreme $79, dont look like bad caps either.

Ill hold out to see what Vodaphone offer first though before making a decision...

Though the Samsung Galaxy is still tempting on the $49 Cap. :P

As far as the iPhone 4 is concerned, I dont want to lock in to a $79 cap and dont see myself needing any more than 16gb.

I always refused to buy an iPhone but.... I think I'm giving in

Have a similar dilemma at the moment, but prefer the Galaxy S over the iPhone 4 (better bigger screen, I prefer Android over iOS, BT3, Swype etc.)

Also, Optus have 3 months free on the business complete $49 cap if you have an ABN.

In short, don't give in!

I gave in with the 3GS, because I saw that it was actually a decent phone, granted iTunes is something I really hate and its apple but its a decent product...

Plus all the accesories u can get are for the iPhone, with the iPhone 4 the only dilema I have is with the glass on the back, I dont trust it not to break, then again thats what cases are for?

The Samsung looks so great so does the iPhone, I'm thinking their about equal, Samsungs screen is brighter but the iPhone is better resolution. If I can have a play with a Galaxy S, see if the rumours of it freezing in and out of applications are true or not... But I might just go for the iPhone, atleast I know what Im getting..

I wont be playing around with the software much, apps are apps, they're pretty such the same both ways (though Droid has a few free ones...lol (which are probably crap)

As far as music is concerened I can import them through iTunes its not actually that hard, just takes forever to imoport your old music (so Im told)

Also Vodafone announced theirs today, 16GB is on a $69 Cap, dont recall the 32 I think it was on $79.

Anyone getting the iphone 4 tomorrow? I had a chance to test one out today (although I wish I hadn't) and tell you what it actually looks better in real life than it does in pictures, I swear I should of said no when the guy asked me if I wanted to see it but it was already too late I'm now officially one of them sorry!

I went in to the local Optus Store in Box Hill and they recon they wont have enough stock to full fill their current orders and have a waiting list.

Actually got to play with the Galaxy S today, quite good :) Still undecided between the two...lol

I need to make up my damn mind.

I'll check out the Strathfield, either that or just order it from the website

Edited by the_13th

yeah there out of stock here too (perth) and anyone who didn't pre-order theirs will have to wait around 2 weeks, I don't know about the apple store though.

is iTunes still has ball gripping as it used to be? Not being allowed to use your existing music as ringtones etc?

Dammit now Im questioning the Optus Network :P

Funny you say that, I am too now, though that is due to Telstra upping the data usage on their plans to something decent (200 -> 500MB for the $49 cap for example). Though I don't like the HTC Desire or iPhone 4. Maybe I'll wait until the Galaxy S is available for Telstra or wait for the next set of phones.

Galaxy S is about $600 from the UK, plus delivery. Slightly more expensive than the Desire, but the hardware is a lot better. I prefer the look of the Captivate, but that's an AT&T exclusive. It's also Samsung, so it looks cheap.

Galaxy S is about $600 from the UK, plus delivery. Slightly more expensive than the Desire, but the hardware is a lot better. I prefer the look of the Captivate, but that's an AT&T exclusive. It's also Samsung, so it looks cheap.

My initial hesitation was the plastics, I was playing with one today and the build quality is rather decent.

Edit: And Optus's website has just crashed :P Must be overloaded with the midnight sales...lol (well the products/purchase side of it has anyway)

Edited by the_13th

My initial hesitation was the plastics, I was playing with one today and the build quality is rather decent.

Edit: And Optus's website has just crashed :P Must be overloaded with the midnight sales...lol (well the products/purchase side of it has anyway)

Yes, the plastic exterior is a good trade off in my opinion. I use a case for my phones anyway, and it ensures a lighter weight.

Yes, the plastic exterior is a good trade off in my opinion. I use a case for my phones anyway, and it ensures a lighter weight.

Exactly, I think you really have to feel it for yourself to believe it though. I was sceptical.

Question guys...

iTunes, its evil I know that but.... Is it still as bad as it used to be, forcing everything to go through it?

Also, app wise I know Android is still a ways behind but not by much right?

Also, app wise I know Android is still a ways behind but not by much right?

Last I checked, Apple are sitting at 200,000+ apps, and Android are closing in on 100,000. I personally think that when the figures get this large, "who cares". As long as you can find software that does what you want, you're set.

Perhaps a more interesting figure, 64% of apps on Android are free, compared to 28% on iOS (according to the App Genome Project).

is iTunes still has ball gripping as it used to be? Not being allowed to use your existing music as ringtones etc?

AFAIK they still are but don't take it from me as I've never owned one before and TBH It didn't worry me at the time as I was too busy looking at it kinda like boobies (has a peter chao moment).