bowlen

HTC Desire v iPhone 4

Well the ones I am thinking about are your smaller apps like the ones for the Melbourne Transport system (trams, trains etc) but realistically I can go to their websites, especially with this amount of data.

Galaxy S supposedly comes with a debilitating amount of bloatware. Is this true?

If so, I probably wouldn't get one until a Cyanogenmod ROM comes out for it.

Also, app wise I know Android is still a ways behind but not by much right?

Last I checked, Apple are sitting at 200,000+ apps, and Android are closing in on 100,000. I personally think that when the figures get this large, "who cares". As long as you can find software that does what you want, you're set.

Perhaps a more interesting figure, 64% of apps on Android are free, compared to 28% on iOS (according to the App Genome Project).

If you do the math thats 64,000 free apps on android vs 56,000 for apple thats not a huge difference when you look at 36,000 paid apps on android vs 144,000 on apple.

There's an awful lot of shovelware on App Store. That's not a reflection on its quality as a source of apps, it's just a symptom of its popularity.

Android Market has less, but also has a lower percentage of crap.

Well I think Ive decided on the Samsung Galaxy S, but Im still a week off being able to order one anyway so my mind might change again.

The decition is purely based on iTunes, Id rather have some flexibility, and keep my nuts in my pants rather than placing them in Steve Jobs's vice grip

As simple a difference as it is, the fact the the Galaxy S doesn't have a flash on the camera has pretty much sold me on the iPhone.

(That and I can't be fucked fiddling around to remove the Samsung bloatware on the android. I'll just stick with apples native bloatware. :P)

I finally decided to get a Desire over the iPhone 4, I am loving it so far, especially the home screen widgets. I'm with telstra and get 3mbps download everywhere I have went so far :D.

I wish you could take off all the junk apps without rooting it/loading a new rom on it.

I finally decided to get a Desire over the iPhone 4, I am loving it so far, especially the home screen widgets. I'm with telstra and get 3mbps download everywhere I have went so far :D.

I wish you could take off all the junk apps without rooting it/loading a new rom on it.

You want an open source phone, but are afraid to explore its potential? People never cease to astound me.

I finally decided to get a Desire over the iPhone 4, I am loving it so far, especially the home screen widgets

Nice choice, and not just because I made the same decision :P

Was in a meeting in the US last week with a bunch of iPhone loving geeks. We were looking at a new web site that our company had just put together, and much to their dismay I was the only one who could display it on their phone :)

Flash is everywhere...

Flash is everywhere...

The one time I saw Flash playing on an Android, the battery was being consumed like a motherfucker.

Is that still the case?

(That and I can't be fucked fiddling around to remove the Samsung bloatware on the android. I'll just stick with apples native bloatware. :P)

Dunno why you'd bother. That "bloatware" introduces a number of neat functions into Android that I miss on my X10. I play with our Galaxy S in store every day, and Touchwiz is great in my opinion.

updated my Desire to 2.2 yesterday.. and all I can say is WOW... if only apple could provide similar updates that actually increase performance/functionality. instead of making phones almost un-usable.

wi-fi hotspot mode = win

google places = win

720p Video = win

a few very nice UI updates in the friend stream and other bits

updated my Desire to 2.2 yesterday.. and all I can say is WOW... if only apple could provide similar updates that actually increase performance/functionality. instead of making phones almost un-usable.

wi-fi hotspot mode = win

google places = win

720p Video = win

a few very nice UI updates in the friend stream and other bits

what rom did you use? standard HTC 2.2?? or modded??

What were the factors in your decision? I'd be interested to know, because I think we were in the same boat at one stage, and I ended up going with the iPhone 4.

For me, it essentially came down to two things: I run OSX at home, which makes syncing an Android phone more difficult, and I've already got quite a bit invested in the iPhone platform (Apps, docks and car chargers).

what rom did you use? standard HTC 2.2?? or modded??

Used a goldcard to flash the RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2 generic signed HTC rom, then just did the OTA update to 2.2, since it's already out for the Euro A8181 models.

no telstra bloatware, sense UI still baked in. runs perfectly.

Don't think there is a full RUU version of 2.2 out yet.. just the OTA update.

Edited by sirtrancealot

I play with our Galaxy S in store every day, and Touchwiz is great in my opinion.

Curious... Whats it cost to buy a Galaxy S Outright?

$799 from any Allphones store. Optus branded, but unlocked (and a simple matter to install an unbranded f/w)

What were the factors in your decision? I'd be interested to know, because I think we were in the same boat at one stage, and I ended up going with the iPhone 4.

For me, it essentially came down to two things: I run OSX at home, which makes syncing an Android phone more difficult, and I've already got quite a bit invested in the iPhone platform (Apps, docks and car chargers).

There are a number of differences between the two phones, however the areas where the iPhone was in front just weren't important to me while the areas where the Desire was in front were.

The iPhone's video capability and dual cameras are great, but not something I would use much. The iPhone's screen is awesome, but the Desire's is very good.

The biggest negatives for the iPhone were 3 fold. The reception issue - it's primarily a phone, so it had better function flawlessly as one. Next was flash support. I saw this a few weeks ago where I sat next to an iPhone 4 owner during a one week meeting/conference. We were all dicking about on our phones during breaks, etc, and by the end of the week she was soooo pissed off with the lack of flash support.

It's ridiculous when you consider the popularity of flash.

And finally cost. I didn't want a plan I needed to buy the phone outright, and in this case the iPhone was double the price of the Desire. And yet, it does everything I need it to do, just as well as the iPhone, and better in some cases, e.g. Flash support.

Initially I was set on the iPhone 4, but the more I looked at it, it was no contest.

It does look tasty. Some rumours that the GPU is a bit under powered and an October release for US/Europe, guess we might see it sometime in 2012.

Well if it's a Snapdragon (which it probably is), then yes, it'll have a crappy GPU. Availability isn't an issue, you'd be insane not to import it from the UK anyway. Much cheaper that way.

Work asked me if I wanted a new phone, I said yes, so now I'm the proud owner of a shiny new Desire, (standard one though obviously).

Telstra business $49 plan with an extra 1GB of data. Not too shabby, but hey, I'm not paying for it so what do I care anyway.

Just in my first few hours with it, I can honestly say that the UI is one of the most intuitive I've ever used. The set up hooked me up to my home WiFi, work active exchange, gmail and facebook painlessly. I tried to help a colleague set up his iPad to connect to active exchange, but it just didn't want to work for some reason, (I got an Xperia X10 to hook up after a bit of tinkering though).

I've got lots of friends with other Android phones, my wife has an HTC Magic, one friend an Xperia X10, another a Galaxy S, (my sister has an iPhone 3, no one with a 4 yet). Having played with them all a bit, I think that the Desire is easier to use, but the Galaxy S is pretty sexy too.

The flash on it is so bright! I haven't tried the iPhone 4 camera which is reputed to be better, but yeah... tried to take a couple of snaps of my dog, (who is a huge poser), but she kept getting white eyes all over, even when not looking directly at the camera.

Edited by Periander

Where are you guys buying your HTC Desires from these days. I have no reason to move to Testra at this stage.

Where are you guys buying your HTC Desires from these days. I have no reason to move to Testra at this stage.

From the UK is probably your best bet. Try clove or handtec.