Sign in to follow this  
chemos

To crossfire or not

As my delivery did not show up I have some time to amend purchases.

Could I get opinions please on whether i should go 2*5870 as I have ordered or 1 5970?

Cost difference is neglible and it will be powered by a 960 cpu.

OS will be windows 7.

Cheers in advance.

Why not 2*5870's would this not outperform 2 5850's?

Actually my old card is an 8800gtx.

The only reason I would go for 5970 is i was used to headaches a few years back with crossfire. lots of conflictions and not an enormous gain.

Edited by chemos

Yeah you'd be stupid to not go with 2 5870s now, with the price being what it is.

Its an extra $200 where it used to be an extra 4-500.

2 5850s will set you back around $700, 2 5870s will set you back around $900.

5970 performs on par with 2 5850s in most stuff. 2 5870s are usually a fair whack ahead.

If you can afford the 900, its a better choice, imo.

Some mobos using the p55 chipset won't allow you to use the USB3 or SATA6gps at their full potential if you have a dual video card setup. Gigabyte's GA-P55A-UD4P is an example, pretty sure I read about it in one of the magazines in the past few months? Part of the reason i went the 5970 over 2x5870s, just in case I get that SATA3 SSD or external HDD in the future :)

I was going to make a new topic along the lines of this but with 2 5770's or a single 5870 in a UD4 mobo

I have read that 2 5770s can out perform a 5870 but xfire can be a pain so I thought a single 5870 would be "easier" mainly because of the mobo I have

Thoughts anyone........

Single 5870 all the way.

The extra performance from 2 5770s isn't the same across all games, as some games use crossfire better than others. A fast single card, however, is fast across all games.

Plus Crossfire is a pain in the ass.

I would just get the 5970, but I always just buy the top end Dual GPU card so I guess that makes my opinion biased :). Yes 2x 5870's would beat 1x 5970.

Just posted my first benchmarks in thread above. Be interested to see your thoughts on scores.