Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
robzy

Sending a cover letter even when they dont ask for a cover letter?

I don't know about you, but I'm dang'd sick of all these job applications threads.

But alas, something has come up without me expecting it and I really want it.

It's an ad on the internet, and at the bottom it says:

Applications:

Applicants should email resume to jobs@hellsanges.com

Is there harm in sending a decent sized cover letter too?

Rob.

Resume only, so they'd want you to cut the crap.

So, cover letter should be nothing more than:

Dear bastard bullyboy,

I wish to be considered for the position of ___ which was advertised ____

Please find enclosed a copy of my resume, and 50 bucks.

Robzy

30/6/2010

robzy@gaymail.org

Yeah I think they'd probably only look at the one's with letters anyway.

Depending on the role, it will help you get ignored.

A clear, concise 1 pager is often best. More info comes at interview time.

Don't wait for them to decide. Attach a trojan and take that job for yourself.

I don't know about you, but I'm dang'd sick of all these job applications threads.

Your Mum's making noise about you not doing enough with yourself during the day, isn't she?

2 yes, 2 no. And of varying degrees of sureness, to. I hate it when asking a question gives you multiple answers and leaves you even more confused :P

I rather like the idea of a short blurb in the beginning, and perhaps a more sizeable paragraph in the email.

Your Mum's making noise about you not doing enough with yourself during the day, isn't she?

Haha, well, most of my threads recently (how many have I done? only one comes to mind actually) have been about summer internships a good 6 months off.

Rob.

I always send in a cover letter, which basically describes myself and my abilities in plain language, rather than just dot-point form, which is what the resume is for.

My cover letter is about 3/4 of a page, and is sent in with every application i send in. Always.

Depending on the role, it will help you get ignored.

A clear, concise 1 pager is often best. More info comes at interview time.

Ah, for the record, by "a decent sized cover letter" I mean slightly less than a page. Although it's occurred to me that this cover letter would actually only be a few paragraphs. My almost-a-page-one is filled with heaps of lovely stuff, which is of no relevance for this job.

And thanks Caelum. Out of curiosity, do you have the cover letter in the same document?

Rob.

In recent times yes, but purely for the simplicity of sending one document via email/websites/etc... so when they print it out, they get both.

I have in the past had it as a separate document however.

Gotcha.

I'm updating my resume for this job (where I figure that being a student member of the actuarial professional group isn't going to help me :P) and seem to be adding their job ad into my Roles and Responsibilities of my previous job. I can't really help that though, it just so happens to be almost exactly the same :P

Rob.

I always send in a cover letter, which basically describes myself and my abilities in plain language, rather than just dot-point form, which is what the resume is for.

My cover letter is about 3/4 of a page, and is sent in with every application i send in. Always.

Pretty much this.

You may want to tweak it occasionally to reflect the company/why you want to work for them/what you can bring the table. Of course, if you're applying for 50-odd jobs, that's easier said than done.

Has no one yet seen that this is another of Robzy's silly jokes. You don't send resumes or covering letters for that matter... to the Hells Angels. Especially when your email is hosted by site called 'gaymail'.