Sign in to follow this  
orcone

Buying a dremel rotary tool - But have found a cheaper alternative

Hi guys,

I've upgraded my build and as such need to accomodate newly routed power cables into my CM690's backplate. I tried cutting some sections out with a hacksaw and hated it. Ugly cuts and very hard work.

I wanted to pick up a Dremel rotary tool, but they retail for around $120 and I'm not too sure I'll use it all that much. However I had a look and found a variant of it from Super Cheap for $43.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-st...aspx?pid=135299

Has anyone picked up one of these? Or do you know of any other alternatives to the Dremel, that are reliable and get the job done?

I dunno why but for me its alot more annoying to cable my cm690 than what i thought it would be.

Also, ive got a similar tool does fine for me, but more powerful than the super cheap one, but you pay for what you get. also need to find heads that will fit the unit, not sure its a one size fits all sorta thing lol

i work at bunnings and i cringe at the thought of people buying cheap shit because more often than not they return the item after using it between a day to a month. however, for the occasional use, it should do. you can buy dremel rotary toolkit for $95 if that makes any difference.

i had a "cheap" dremel ages ago, it worked ok, only had a few problems, the main one is the little thumb knob to tighten the chuck came off in the first hour of use, and now its a pain to change bits, a hard metal tube you have to depress quite hard that kill my thumb, it got a little hot, but i cut through heaps of stuff aluminum/perspex/plastic/steel, and i only paid 39 for it, but yeah you get what you pay for, i saw a guy, my friends neighbor cut some 2-4 mm thick steel pipe with his dremel, but for basic work i can't fault mine, but if you plan on doing heavy work think dremel, they are awesome.

i work at bunnings and i cringe at the thought of people buying cheap shit because more often than not they return the item after using it between a day to a month. however, for the occasional use, it should do. you can buy dremel rotary toolkit for $95 if that makes any difference.

I've got the Ozito and a Dremel.

The Dremel is definitely better but if you were only using one now and then, the Ozito from Bunnings is fine.

The Dremel is definitely better but if you were only using one now and then, the Ozito from Bunnings is fine.

I ended up buying an Ozito Rotary from Bunnings for $40. I used it last night and it worked well! The "styling wand" that came with it allowed me to get into very tight spaces and cut away with ease. However, I did end up breaking 3 disks in my first hour (it was a learning curve!)

For $40, came with 3 years warranty and heaps of attachments. I just hope I can buy more cutting disks for it from the local shop, I'm praying it's not a special sized disk that only Ozito sells...

yeah the ozito brand is really kicking off. atleast they offer warranties/replacement guarantees. just gotta be watchful of other brands though. ozito is a brand reserved for the Weekend Warrior. however the amount of crummy returns i see processed on a weekly basis, the ozito brand remains prominent above the rest.

whenever im in toolshop someone asks me "i want to cut this [blah blah] but i dont wanna spend so much on X because i'll only use it every now and then" i just shrug and say "get an ozito, but if you want longevity (which is normally an investment in the back of my mind) get a ryobi or greater."