Sign in to follow this  
r4ven

OCZ Vertex 2 or Intel X25-M

Hi all

I am interested in buying a hdd in the very near future , I was all set to buy a OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD When i read this review

http://www.techspot.com/review/271-ocz-ver...-ssd/page8.html

Another big question mark over the Vertex 2 and other SandForce SSDs is reliability. In fact, we are still a little dubious regarding SSD reliability in general, and with good reason. The original Vertex 120GB drive that we were given for testing

died after 3 months of use and took all the data stored on it to the grave. The Vertex LE 100GB drive that we reviewed just 2 months ago has also died, which is a little troubling.

It should be worth noting that we still have our original first generation 80GB Intel X25-M SSD, which has been in use for almost 2 years now. That same level of reliability has been seen with our second generation 160GB Intel X25-M SSD so far, but it's only been in use for a few months. Therefore, we are keen to see how the Vertex 2 holds up over the coming months and years to come. Those cautious about where they invest their hard earned cash would be wise to wait and see how the Vertex 2 plays out, and of course this goes for any solid-state drive based on the new SandForce controllers.

An OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD would be perfect for me price wise and storage wise but how reliable are they? And would Intel really be more reliable?

Thank you.

This is a question with no answer. nobody really knows how any of this new stuff is going to go. This is a bleeding edge new frontier, any and all of these ssd's will be subect to all sorts of weird and wonderful failures over the coming years.

in regards to intel, you have some protection in the form that they are a big company with many resources, but they did fail with the first of the second gen x25-m. most of the other companies out there are small size with limited resources, but this usually makes them hungry to please.

Wecome to the life of bleeding edge tech. Enjoy!

Heh, that is about bang on the mark :)

I haven't had any issues with my first gen OCZ Vertex, not sure if there are issues with the second gen.

But if you want piece of mind then go with Intel for the reasons Sparky mentioned.

Theoretically I'd say the Vertex 2 is more reliable.

First of all the Sandforce controller was made for a server environment so reliability is built into it.

Also if you get one with 27% over provisioning (50, 100, 200GB versions) they'll survive chip errors longer than those that use the regular consumer grade 7% provisioning (60, 120, 250GB versions) that use the new firmware.

It has ECC inbuilt and due to compression it has a sub 1 write amplification which also helps with the flash longevity.

Those are the reasons I went with a Sandforce SSD recently. The 27% provisioning whilst maybe overkill will guarentee it will last until I no longer need it.

I just installed one. Obviously too early to comment on reliability but it is super quick and quiet.

So far so good.

First of Thank you to everyone that replied.

I understand the vertex 2 is new but i thought the original vertex was out for quite some time?

Also if you get one with 27% over provisioning (50, 100, 200GB versions) they'll survive chip errors longer than those that use the regular consumer grade 7% provisioning (60, 120, 250GB versions) that use the new firmware.

What is provisioning? If it's very complex you don't need to explain it :)

Would you suggest i go for the 100gb over the 120gb. I must say i have two old raptors raided so i am currently around just under 70gb max so 100gb would be plenty for me.

Also is either ocz or intel or a specific SSD controller better at being a boot drive as i plan to purchase windows seven along with the ssd.

These are the specific drives i am looking at. 1st intel 160, 2nd ocz 100, 3rd ocz 120.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14114

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14205

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14674

There is a fair difference of $240 dollars between the ocz 120gb and the intel 160gb.

Thank you.

Edited by r4ven

Between the office that I work at and my home, I have access to 5 first generation OCZ drives, 1 Agility, the rest Vertices, and one second generation, Vertex 2, and none have failed, and all have performed solidly.

I would go the Vertex 2 over the Intel.

I have a vertex 2 50gb myself and I would highly recommend it. I use it as an OS drive for win7.

AFAIK vertex 2's have the sandforce controller which (if I've got my information correct) is the far superior to the one found on the intel drive, its quicker, has native TRIM support etc...

definitely a vertex 2 for me

Thanks guys at this stage i am leaning towards the vertex 2, I just need to double check the warranty on the drives and read up on provisioning.

Thanks again. :)

+1 to spark and maxx.

Technically, SSDs have only been out for just about 18 months, IIRC. There just isnt enough data to support either case for reliability. Like sparky said, welcome to the bleeding edge.

As far as my experience goes, I purchased a 1st gen Vertex, with Indillix controller, in March, and thus far, I have havent had any problems with it. Although I havent done any benches with it, the performance it provides has exceeded my expectations if not more. IMHO, people who are expecting their startup times to be less than 20 seconds is asking for too much considering that there are other things that happen during startup than just loading of data. If it was just that, then "hell yes", it should be a lot faster but consider the fact that your OS loads in just about half the time it took with a typical HDD. Where the SSD really shines is during normal operation. For example, almost instantaneous load in IE and the like. Even tabbing, which used to take awhile for every new tab, is instantly loaded. Almost all applications I have used, and have currently installed on the Vertex, loads instantaneously. Game load times are half, if not a third, of what they used to be.

Therefore, if you feel you have to wait, then I suggest you do so. However, as I have said many times over, go out and get one. Its the best money you can spend on an upgrade without totally upgrading your system.

Technically, SSDs have only been out for just about 18 months, IIRC. There just isnt enough data to support either case for reliability. Like sparky said, welcome to the bleeding edge.

Consumer ones maybe.

Consumer ones maybe.

>.< Ok ok. Mainstream ones then :D

What is provisioning? If it's very complex you don't need to explain it :)

These are the specific drives i am looking at. 1st intel 160, 2nd ocz 100, 3rd ocz 120.

Over provisioning allows the drive to use the reserved (over provisioned) space for use in writing to free pages instead of partially full ones (perhaps TRIM hasn't done it's thing yet so it uses this free space in the mean time), wear levelling, as well as for use as replacement capacity for other parts of storage space that could go bad over time.

Google around if you want more detailed explanation.

If your happy with 100GB I'd say the OCZ Vertex 2 100GB version is best if you're concerned with longevity.

Id get the 120gb version (or 60gb). you can just create a smaller partition on them and they will use the left over space for over provisioning. or you can use upto 120gb its your choice.