Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
wilsontc

using curl to get my internet usage from my isp

Hello everyone,

I want to use command line curl to log into my ISP's members home page, and redirect the result to STDOUT. The page obviously uses SSL, but I don't know what else I need to do. Here is what the form looks like:

<form name="login_form" action="" method="POST" autocomplete="on">
<div id="mflogin">
  <div id="un">Username:
	<input name="login_name" class="tboxsize" />
  </div>
	<div id="pw">Password:
	  <input name="password" type="password" class="tboxsize" />
	</div>
	<div id="go">
	<input type="hidden" name="doLogin" value="1" />
	  <input name="submit" type="submit" value="Login" />
  </div>
  <div id="probtext"><a href="password_recover.php">Forgot your password?</a></div>
</div>
</form>

I am using curl like this:

curl -c cookies.txt -b cookies.txt -d login_name="myUser&password=myPass" -k https://www.exetel.com.au/members/home.php > exetel.html

But it doesn't seem to work. I don't think I need to use redirection because the form submits to it's own page.

If anybody wants the full page source, it can be found here: https://www.exetel.com.au/members/home.php

Any ideas?

What do you mean by 'doesn't seem to work'? What output do you end up with in exetel.html?

I just had a look at the curl man page and it looks like you need to use -d for each query string pair. I.e. -d login_name=myUser -d password=myPass instead of -d login_name="myUser&password=myPass" (which looks like the "s are in the wrong place anyway).

But without knowing what's not working I have no idea if that's the problem.

What do you mean by 'doesn't seem to work'? What output do you end up with in exetel.html?

I just had a look at the curl man page and it looks like you need to use -d for each query string pair. I.e. -d login_name=myUser -d password=myPass instead of -d login_name="myUser&password=myPass" (which looks like the "s are in the wrong place anyway).

But without knowing what's not working I have no idea if that's the problem.

Yes, I should have been clearer from the start. It returns the same form that is asking for the login details, so the log in failed.

According to the man page, -d's are joined with an &, so my syntax is correct, at least for my distribution of curl (whatever is on OS X 10.5.5). I'll try using separate -d's.

I guess what I really wanted to know is, am I going about this in the right way?

*edit* using two -d's still returns the same page.

Have you included the hidden form field doLogin=1?

No I haven't. Hmm, I'll see if I can work out how to do that. Thanks.

edit:

Yes! That worked, thank you SledgY! All I needed to add was: -d doLogin=1