Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
raxo55

Best phone for the technologically illiterate.

Hey guys,

i've basically been asked by one of my relatives to find them a new phone as their current one has broken.

unfortunately they happen have a lot of trouble using technology. ("Why is my computer making no noise?" "try turning the volume up?" "oh there we go")

I have no idea about phones =P so could anyone help me out finding a really simple, easy to use phone that will not require multiple phone calls to me asking for help.

raxo

Edited by raxo55

Hey guys,

i've basically been asked by one of my relatives to find them a new phone as their current one has broken.

unfortunately they happen have a lot of trouble using technology. ("Why is my computer making no noise?" "try turning the volume up?" "oh there we go")

I have no idea about phones =P so could anyone help me out finding a really simple, easy to use phone that will not require multiple phone calls to me asking for help.

raxo

A big factor will be what their previous phone was. They're more likely to find it easy to use if it's something that they're already familiar with.

oh god no, it was simple to use because it was a shitbox. if they are getting a new phone they are getting a nice one.

I was thinking one of the iPhone 4's. they seem alright although I haven't had a chance to use one yet.

oh god no, it was simple to use because it was a shitbox. if they are getting a new phone they are getting a nice one.

I was thinking one of the iPhone 4's. they seem alright although I haven't had a chance to use one yet.

I guess it depends on the person, but in my experience people who are technologically illiterate don't really appreciate good tech - especially if it's something they're unfamiliar with. That said, the iPhone (4 or even 3GS) is probably one of the easiest to use smart phones if that's the direction you want to go in.

thats what i'll most likely get. Although the iphones are going to be hard to get your hands on I assume?

thats what i'll most likely get. Although the iphones are going to be hard to get your hands on I assume?

There's no issues getting a 3GS, but getting a 4 will probably be difficult till mid August.

The part of the iPhone that isn't Phone-y will confuse the hell out of them by the sound of it. And especially the contacts/keypad/sms system.

Something like this is probably the go.

The part of the iPhone that isn't Phone-y will confuse the hell out of them by the sound of it. And especially the contacts/keypad/sms system.

Something like this is probably the go.

+1. Cheap, solid, and easy.

iPhone is overpriced and way too easy to break.

Perhaps

Posted Image

Otherwise what Tantryl linked too. No camera or other confusing stuff.

Just check the keypad is easy to read if they have dodgy eyesight.

Nokia 1800. $59 unlocked, but a solid handset, even has Flash*!

*a flashlight that is :P

argh, I managed to forget to write in the OP that this does need to be a smartphone. It's basically meant to be a simple to use/portable computer for them ie, doing emails. browsing the web. that kind of thing.

if not, i'm sure tantryls suggestion would be fine.

it's more a case of need rather than want.

they have a lot of trouble with their computer, so I figured a simpler, smaller version should be much better.

You... think... smartphone... is going to be easier to use... than a computer.

I'm just going to say this plainly: smartphones aren't easier to use than computers.

Any computer can be set up to have only one function: Internet. Put IE8 in the startup folder (usually easiest for this sort of person since they struggle with understanding that Internet Explorer isn't Windows Explorer or The Internet). Set their webmail and google as the two home pages (different tabs). Maybe add wiki as a third tab or if they need to check stocks add the asx or their broker and so on - add all the pages they go to regularly.

Use basic anti-virus like MSE that doesn't require renewing.

Done. All they need opens when the computer starts. You just have to show them the tabs and maybe intro them to their webmail (in the same way you'd have to teach them the phone's mail client system), and how to shut the thing down.

Tantryl: That's actually a great idea for a setup for the non-computer savvy. I love it :)

Thanks.

To make it even easier to understand you can go into the Power settings on the computer and set pressing the power button to shut down (instead of sleep or hibernate, one of which is the default). IE8 doesn't do the saving sessions/tabs question thing so that shouldn't be a problem. That way you don't even really have to teach them how to shut down.

Edited by tantryl

FWIW, I would go with a cheap, but not bottom-level Nokia.

My Dad (massive techno-luddite) has had a 6500 Slide for a couple years now and it's nice to surprise him with new things his phone can do. Just this week he discovered that his phone takes photos pretty much as well as my N95. He already uses it as an alarm, so if he's interested I may introduce him to the calendar system and PC Suite software.

So ... yeah I'd recommend a mid-range "dumb" phone. Something like the 2730 or 6730 would be simple enough to make sense and just "be a phone", while having enough under the hood to do that little bit extra if required.

FWIW, I would go with a cheap, but not bottom-level Nokia.

My Dad (massive techno-luddite) has had a 6500 Slide for a couple years now and it's nice to surprise him with new things his phone can do. Just this week he discovered that his phone takes photos pretty much as well as my N95. He already uses it as an alarm, so if he's interested I may introduce him to the calendar system and PC Suite software.

So ... yeah I'd recommend a mid-range "dumb" phone. Something like the 2730 or 6730 would be simple enough to make sense and just "be a phone", while having enough under the hood to do that little bit extra if required.

I've had the silver Nokia 6500 slide for 2 years now and i love the sturdy feeling of the brushed stainless steel outer shell, it feels a lot more impressive than the plastic tacky feeling of the N95, 96 and 97 handsets (I also have a N96). And also the camera is very surprising although not as good as the N series regarding settings and low lighting conditions, the 6500 struggles a bit with the lighting.

But if there not that tech savvy they wont care so much about this. Another issue is are they looking to go on a plan? or make outright purchase of the phone? and what carrier do they want to use?

Three has a pretty nice looking phone (Nokia X6) on there $29 cap. But i have not used it personally so i cannot say what its like. Phones can look good on the outside but once you start using them they can be terrible, its all individual suitability.

I'm thinking about getting the X6 myself, so it will interesting to see if there are any other good competitors that are in the same price point. I will do my research and make the final decision when the time comes.

argh, I managed to forget to write in the OP that this does need to be a smartphone. It's basically meant to be a simple to use/portable computer for them ie, doing emails. browsing the web. that kind of thing.

if not, i'm sure tantryls suggestion would be fine.

I fit the criteria of your OP.

Something physically smaller does not in my book = easier.

Mobile phones are handy, but a nuisance :). Make the phone a simple phone.

As tantryl suggested above, simplify the computer operation for this person,

they'll be so blown away with the ability to master the simple first steps...there'll be no stopping them.

:D

ok, I happen to have a spare 6700 sitting around from a previous overseas trip. I'll give that to them and see how it goes.

ok, I happen to have a spare 6700 sitting around from a previous overseas trip. I'll give that to them and see how it goes.

You star! never hurts to introduce to the world mecca of tech.

Tantryl's way is good. When I was setting up a computer for my non tech-savvy workmates I renamed 'explorer' as 'internet' (which went straight to google search) and outlook as 'email' on the desktop. Also put up shortcuts for the programs and files we used and then eventually an additional shortcut for the BOM website (which we needed to check regularly for customers).

Your way is easier. I did all that pre-tabs in explorer, but it would have made life easier (mostly I did all the tech stuff for everyone =( ).