Sign in to follow this  
raxo55

which SSD?

hey guys

well I bit the bullet. I'm going to buy an ssd. Originally I was going to get a 5850, but i've decided to get this first and then crossfire my 5770.

so, what would the best ssd be for me. I looking for it to be in around the $250 range. but I can stretch the budget to $300 if it's really justified.

I was thinking of this one

thanks

Edited by raxo55

There is a bajillion and one very recent and relevant threads on this. I'd suggest you start there.

hey guys

well I bit the bullet. I'm going to buy an ssd. Originally I was going to get a 5850, but i've decided to get this first and then crossfire my 5770.

so, what would the best ssd be for me. I looking for it to be in around the $250 range. but I can stretch the budget to $300 if it's really justified.

I was thinking of this one

thanks

Apart from the capacity issue, that looks perfect.

I really can't find anything, I actually looked before aswell.

edit: 1shot, 60gb should be able to hold an OS and a few games though yes?

i really can't spend the 400-500 required for 100+gb ssds.

Edited by raxo55

edit: 1shot, 60gb should be able to hold an OS and a few games though yes?

Absolutely! My OS partition is 50GB and has >30GB free.

I saw them, I didn't really think they were that relevant except for the price vs performance one.

anyway I went ahead and ordered that ssd off pccg. i'll post some results when it arrives.

I saw them, I didn't really think they were that relevant except for the price vs performance one.

anyway I went ahead and ordered that ssd off pccg. i'll post some results when it arrives.

See? You didn't need us at all.

just wanted a bit of reassurance, which you certainly gave me. thanks =D

Edited by raxo55

After all thats been said, I wouldnt go SSD for mass data storage, ie. mp3, avi and so on. Its just not critical to store that kind of stuff on a SSD. I did a lot of research before purchasing my present SSD. What I found is that my OS drives rarely went over 120GB to begin with, and thats a lot of space for applications and such. Those files I listed above do not need the performance given by a SSD. From my point of view, if your load times, for OS, critical applications, games and such, are critical to you, then I suggest the SSD as a way to increase performance without going into a massive upgrade, which I might add doesnt do much for the bottleneck that regular HDDs still will be even with the top of the line system. I have a friend who installed a SSD into his system and saw massive decrease in OS and games load time.

The question everyone has to ask themselves when purchasing one is, "Is it important enough for me to go to a SSD considering the cost?" If it isnt, and you can live with big load times, then you really shouldnt even be considering it. Otherwise, go get one. Its the best upgrade you can do to your system without upgrading your entire system.

I dont think he read it maxx >.<

I would grab the Crucial c300

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp...FDDAC064MAG-1G1

Currently it is arguably the fastest mainstream ssd platform with sata 3 support when you next change motherboards if you dont need it now

you can buy direct from Crucial and pricing is pretty reasonable

review here

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=25308

the 64gb has a bit of a write nerf compared to the 128 and 256 but that shouldnt be to much of a worry as an OS drive and one would hope could be rectified with firmware as I suspect manufacturers of throttling lower capacity ssd's for a number of reasons

when TRIM is supported with RAID 2 of the crucial drives will be kick arse although I will prolly get the 128's for my next build comming up soon