pappes

Quicker than FTTH, Brisbane gets FTTP

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/technol...o-1225887277019

Brisbane City Council plan to install broadband cable through sewers

BRISBANE City Council is considering a proposal to run broadband cable through the city's sewers to help fast-track speedier internet across the River City, documents reveal.

In March, civic cabinet documents reveal Lord Mayor Campbell Newman told councillors he believed council should access the city's sewers for the installation of broadband throughout Brisbane.

A similar system is used in some parts of the UK.

Yesterday, Cr Newman confirmed council was about to give the nod to a proposal put before council by a UK company.

"We have a proposal from a firm who have a technology to put broadband fibre optic into the city using the sewer pipes," Cr Newman said. "We are very interested in what they've got to say and we would be working towards letting them have, on a commercial basis, access to the sewerage and water pipes as well.

"We've done a fair bit of work to work out whether it's feasible, viable."

Cr Newman said the problem the company had was that the Federal Government's National Broadband Network was still on the cards.

"Our objective is to get next-generation broadband into Brisbane," he said.

"We want 100 megabits-per-second fibre to the home and we want it now."

He said the company would put the fibre optic cable into the pipe network and then run it to each home. A test run conducted recently revealed that the company could provide the service for a quarter of the normal cost, Cr Newman said.

"We ran a fibre optic cable from the council Chermside business centre to the Virginia bus depot in the last nine months and they managed to get a fibre optic cable from point A to point B for a quarter of the normal cost – and that included the cost of flying two guys out from the UK and their equipment and putting them up in accommodation and flying them home," Cr Newman said.

However, the council's Opposition leader, Cr Shayne Sutton, said she was concerned that the proposal would conflict with the National Broadband Network rollout: "I am concerned this is a duplication of the Federal Government's broadband scheme." "Why is the Lord Mayor spending Brisbane ratepayers' money rolling out broadband when the Federal Government already has plans to do the same thing shortly?" Cr Sutton asked.

"This seems to be a duplication of infrastructure and,– if that's the case, it's a waste of ratepayers' funds that could be spent on much-needed road, footpath and park upgrades in the suburbs."

---

Some might say that Fibre To The Pot is a shitty idea but I don't care. As long as my morning fibre does not affect the operation of the broadband fibre then I say BRING IT ON.

Brings a new meaning to the term Dark Fiber.

why don't they invest the money in NBN? that's how you get your independent infrastructure.

I don't care who builds it, I just want it.

Alas, LOL PERTH. Actually, worse, LMAO MANDURAH.

FML.

Fibre to the Poop.

I like it. :)

Fibre to the porcelain?

They'll be offering mobile broadband in the form of Fibre To The Port-a-Potty.

FML.

It saddens me too. I begin to wonder if we'll ever get it at this rate - they're yet to even begin the first rollout in about three suburbs from what I've seen.

It saddens me too. I begin to wonder if we'll ever get it at this rate - they're yet to even begin the first rollout in about three suburbs from what I've seen.

heh, it's still political fancy at the moment, it's not even set in concrete.

basically, just about every telecommunications company in Australia will need to be involved at some stage to complete it.

NBN co. said straight up it would take 8 years to roll out once begun, and we haven't even started yet. it could take 15 years to complete.

FML.

Incorrect, FTTH is already live in Midway Point, and isn't far behind(if not live) in the other two towns in tassie.

Stage two in tassie is much larger, with another 6 or 7 towns going live in the following months.

I know of councils who already run a lot of fibre through sewer and storm water pipes. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than trenching through roads, footpaths etc, and a lot fucking quicker than dealing with the RTA to get the approval to do so.

Oh the fun of ringing up to complain about a shit connection!

You'd be pissing in the wind...........

They'd ask you to wait whilst they checked the log.

Probably be run by a bunch of arseholes!

and I live only a few blocks outside of the brisbane city council area.

At least they're actually planning to do it, unlike the NBN which isn't even a political bargaining chip any more.