azamoth

Windows could not search for new updates.

I have checked windows help for this, I can't seem to get it working. Even my MSN won't connect.

Has anyone had this problem before and fixed it?

Its getting on my case.

Please help!

First question (and it's got to be asked) - Is your copy of Windows legit? If not, then there's your problem.

Otherwise, I received a recent announcement from Microsoft stating that they will be terminating support (including updates) for Windows XP with SP2, Windows 2000 and Windows 2000 Server as of Tuesday July 13, 2010. This should not be affecting you now, though.

It is legit.

Im running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Edited by azamoth

Make sure your date and time are set properly, then try again.

FFS-- Ive been living in 2000 all day.... GRRR... I checked the time and date... but the year slipped me!

And ive been screwing around with it all day... now Ive got a different error...

800B001

:S

Thanks for making me check again.

Ive given up on Windows Vista.

Ive been using it for 2+ years and its only now started to give me the shits.

Im upgrading to Windows 7.

Error 800B0001 in Windows Update has solution http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947821 which does not work for me.

Running the recommended program gives me another error saying "Encountered error 0x800b0001. Unknown Trust Provider."

Any suggestions?

Is there anything I can do to just reinstall windows updater or at least reset it- this is ridiculous.

I know you guys arent Microsoft employees, but this is seriously making me not want to go to work tomorrow just so I can back up and format the hard drive- or smash it.

Ok, please if anyone has this problem... come and see me. Its pissed me off that much I've managed to sort it out.

I've fixed it. Probably means nothing to you but I had to re-register Wintrust.dll.

Now I can go to work tomorrow- without the work I should have done instead of screwing around with this.

Ive given up on Windows Vista.

Ive been using it for 2+ years and its only now started to give me the shits.

Im upgrading to Windows 7.

When Vista first appeared, Microsoft sent me a couple of polo shirts embroidered with their logo and "Windows Vista Advisor" as part of their marketing campaign. I was happy to tell anyone (whether they asked or not) that , as an "advisor", my "advice" was to steer clear of Vista and keep XP for as long as possible.

Once Microsoft sent out the code for Windows 7, I was hooked. Windows 7 was everything that Vista should have been.

I've NEVER had a BSOD or system crash when using Windows 7. The 64-bit version runs most programs (except for a couple to last-century old games on my the kid's PC).

Drivers for Windows 7 are abundant, so you won't have any trouble getting peripherals to work.

One piece of advice is to do a clean install. Do not upgrade from Vista.

The whole process is pretty fast and simple, so you won't have much downtime.

Good luck.

+1 to codemaster. And if memory serves me, Vista Ultimate cost almost $700 where as 7 Ultimate costs just over half that. Win 7 is stable for long periods of time without a reboot, and recovers well from application stalls quite unlike Vista. Its loads great and efficiently, and almost lets you do something right from the moment it loads its GUI, that is if you have a SSD under the hood. Where as Vista is clunky and at times a bit picky about what works and what doesnt.

Currently, this session of Windows 7 that I am running on as I write this has been up for over a month now, as a test, and has shown no signs of lag or errors. If you do upgrade to Win7 at some point, you wont regret it.

The only way I managed to get a fix for this is by doing a repair install.

It's a complete PITA, but it might be your only option if you want to stay with Vista.

I'll also kick this over to the Windoze area to see what the boffins over there think.

Edit: and I've just realised by your last post that I think you solved the issue. Anywhoo, it might still be good to see what others think. :)

Edited by Chaos.Lady

The only way I managed to get a fix for this is by doing a repair install.

It's a complete PITA, but it might be your only option if you want to stay with Vista.

I'll also kick this over to the Windoze area to see what the boffins over there think.

Edit: and I've just realised by your last post that I think you solved the issue. Anywhoo, it might still be good to see what others think. :)

Well, for what I think, I think what's already been said here.

Vista is a smoldering pile of crap.

I got my first computer for Christmas in 1986 and in the ensuing years, no piece of computer tech has EVER frustrated me to the degree that Vista did.

At this point, I'd say there's no reason whatsoever to be using Vista.

Win 7 rocks and if it happens that your hardware won't support 7 then you're far better off to stick with XP.

Well, for what I think, I think what's already been said here.

Vista is a smoldering pile of crap.

I got my first computer for Christmas in 1986 and in the ensuing years, no piece of computer tech has EVER frustrated me to the degree that Vista did.

At this point, I'd say there's no reason whatsoever to be using Vista.

Win 7 rocks and if it happens that your hardware won't support 7 then you're far better off to stick with XP.

I'm guessing you never used windows ME?

Vista is marginally better than ME, but both Vista and ME were superseded rapidly, by a far better product.

Win 7 has the potential to be a real stayer, much like XP was before.

I'd dump Vista. I have two vista machines at work, out of all the computers we use, which run everything from linux, mac os x, winxp winvista win7, the only ones I have problems with are the Vista machines.

I'm guessing you never used windows ME?

That's the first thing I thought of too. Windows ME was an embarrassment. It was the Operating System that should never have been released.

I run Vista Ultimate on my desktop PC, and never had a drama with it.

I run Vista Ultimate on my desktop PC, and never had a drama with it.

You must have bought a lemon, smadge1. Vista is supposed to give you problems. If your system has run smoothly, then Microsoft shipped you a faulty Vista operating system. Contact their Tech Support and demand that you get a buggy version like everyone else. :)