Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dapper_Dan

What game(s) should I play next?

I just finished Mass Effect 2, and now need something else to play. I'm looking at a desktop full of icons and a steam library full of games (due to the recent mega-sale) and am overwhelmed for choice, so decided I'd ask you guys. I have a bunch of supposedly classic games I have yet to play, as well as a bunch of newer stuff. I'm only really interested in SP, doubt I will play much MP. These are the games I own but am yet to play -

GTA IV: Episodes from Lib. City

Baldur's Gate 1, 2 and expansions (Loved NWN 1, never finished NWN 2)

Planescape: Torment

Dragon's Age Awakenings (Played Origins, it was great)

Company of Heroes (Got the 2 expansions as well)

Splinter Cell Conviction

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat (played SoC and loved it)

Bioshock 2 (Played the first one and loved it)

Crysis Warhead (Played first Crysis, was decent I guess)

Metro 2033

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 1, 2 and all the expansions

Torchlight

Prince of Persia - Forgotten Sands (the new one)

Burnout Paradise

Race Driver Grid

So, what do I play next?

Edited by Dapper_Dan

cross metro 2033 off your list, one of the worst games ever.

play Call of Pripyat first then maybe GTA4, COH, bioshock 2, grid ect in no particular order.

Not the worst ever.

The story and gameplay was good but there were some bugs/problems.

I don't finish many games, but this one I did.

I was going to fill an enormous post with a thousand repetitions of 'GRiD', but I won't. I'll settle for saying that you should play it first, finish it, then intersperse your meanders through the other games with regular sessions of the same.

1. Baldur's Gate 1, 2 and expansions (Loved NWN 1, never finished NWN 2)

2. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 1, 2 and all the expansions

3. Torchlight

4. Race Driver Grid

5. Planescape: Torment

6. GTA IV: Episodes from Lib. City

7. Company of Heroes (Got the 2 expansions as well)

8. Dragon's Age Awakenings (Played Origins, it was great)

9. Burnout Paradise

10. Bioshock 2 (Played the first one and loved it)

11. Crysis Warhead (Played first Crysis, was decent I guess)

12. Prince of Persia - Forgotten Sands (the new one)

13. Splinter Cell Conviction

14. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat (played SoC and loved it)

15. Metro 2033

That would be the order I would play them. Its based on my perceived quality of the games, and an attempt to mix the genres up to prevent you from getting bored.

I reckon by the time you get to about the third game in your list, Steam will have itself another big sale and you'll acquire more games than you've crossed off the list. It doesn't seem to matter how many games you play, there'll always be more just waiting in line. It's a conspiracy I tells ya!

planescape torment! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! very few have played this game, it is far too under estimated.

out the few that have played it, who really love a good story, rate this game a 9.5/10 ;)

also Crysis Warhead is a lot shorter than the original. offers the same amount of fun, if not more. you could probably clock it over night. Warhammer 40k the fourth expansion (cant remember the name !! ) offers a fun single player campaign where you go off conquering territory as a particular race of ur choosing.

Another vote for Planescape Torment. Apparently you can get it going in widescreen now which would be interesting. It is probably the 2nd most satisfying games I've had to finish. Ultima IX was number 1.

You can cross Conviction off the list, utter rubbish. Burnout Paradise too, I had been looking forward to it immensely, then found it was just 'Need For Speed: Underground 2' in daylight. The uninstall takes about 10 years too, I should mention.

Episodes From Liberty City is highly recommended. In fact it was so good, I think they should have released the expansion packs as GTA4, and kept GTA4 as the console exclusive.

Actually, Call of Pripyat is sitting on my shelf, unopened. Just remembered that...

GRID - Loved it but formatted my computer 3/4 of the way through. Hard to get the motivation to do it all over again.

Call of Pripyat - Loved the first two in the series, not really getting into it though.

Metro 2033 - not bad, it's not sandbox like Stalker. Some parts were a bit annoying but I finished it.

Torchlight - is a solid little gem. If you loved diablo 2, then it is more of the same. If you know how to play take on a harder difficulty level. The pet is a great addition (better be in diablo 3).

Bioshock 2 - I don't think this was as good as the first. Still a good game to play through. Dual weld is fun.

Crysis Warhead - All over in about 4 hours. Should be able to knock that over in one day.

Episiodes - Loved the biker one, not really loving the ballad one as much. This ones on the back burner for now.

Haven't played the others so can't comment.

Edited by spaced

Not the worst ever.

The story and gameplay was good but there were some bugs/problems.

I don't finish many games, but this one I did.

Yeah my son is playing it and really enjoys it. It looks good. I think there are some issues with things like hit rego and bullet damage, but the atmosphere appears quite immersive. it is not your standard FPS and requires a little thought as to how to approach situations.

I was going to fill an enormous post with a thousand repetitions of 'GRiD', but I won't. I'll settle for saying that you should play it first, finish it, then intersperse your meanders through the other games with regular sessions of the same.

I've been playing grid on and off, it's a lot of fun. There's something oddly addictive about the way you build up your team, getting drivers and sponsors and what-not. I just unlocked the last tier in Europe, but I'm too skint to buy a car for it atm =/

Another vote for Planescape Torment. Apparently you can get it going in widescreen now which would be interesting. It is probably the 2nd most satisfying games I've had to finish. Ultima IX was number 1.

Yeah the widescreen mod is great, and it works with all infinity engine games. I have it currently installed for BG. http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

GTA4 eps, Stalker (COP is the best one yet, imo) Splinter Cell Conviction (Despite the haters, I still really liked this one) Bioshock 2 (havent finished it, but it was quite good, what I did play of it)

Company of heroes is awesome, but more suited to MP i think.

The rest are all pretty meh imo, play them in whatever order you want.

i know these are old but Need for speed most wanted and half life 2 are great... oh yeah and portal :)

i know these are old but Need for speed most wanted and half life 2 are great... oh yeah and portal :)

"Old"? In a thread getting large love for BG and PS:T, you consider those old?!

Whippersnapper! mumblemumble.

play Call of Pripyat first then maybe GTA4, COH, bioshock 2, grid ect in no particular order.

lol, massive hyperbole about Metro.

But I agree on playing Call of Pripyat first. Then Metro.

Well I tried Baldur's Gate, and I really wanted to get into it, but I just found the combat too boring. I got as far as finishing Nashkel Mines, and cleared out quite a few random wilderness areas, so I definitely gave it a good go. I think the problem is the D&D 2.0 ruleset, there's literally nothing to do except click once on an enemy if you're a melee character (which is generally the type I go for in RPG's). I did keep my save games though, in case I get inspired to try it again in a year or two. Think next I'm gonna go back and try finish off the Neverwinter series. Played the first one, the campaign was kinda meh, but combat was more fun for a melee character (combat feats ftw). Gonna start with the 2 expansions for NWN 1 then check out NWN 2.

Hopefully by the time I'm done with those, they'll have fixed the haste + momentum stacking bug in DA:O and I can start my uber evil rogue guy and go play Awakenings.

Edited by Dapper_Dan

You can cross Conviction off the list, utter rubbish. Burnout Paradise too, I had been looking forward to it immensely, then found it was just 'Need For Speed: Underground 2' in daylight. The uninstall takes about 10 years too, I should mention.

Episodes From Liberty City is highly recommended. In fact it was so good, I think they should have released the expansion packs as GTA4, and kept GTA4 as the console exclusive.

Actually, Call of Pripyat is sitting on my shelf, unopened. Just remembered that...

-.-

NFSU2 in day light?

I cant be bothered explaining how wrong this comment is, but Burnout Paradise has nothing in common with NFSU2 except for the fact that both games contain cars.

By your reasoning, Grid is NFSU2 during the day aswell.

I cant be bothered explaining how wrong this comment is

Well you could at least attempt to, but I felt the game was rubbish, in that it was too generic. It was an arcade racer to a fault, in that the cars had no individual feel, and the gameworld was sold as intricate, and full of oppurtunity for awesome destruction. It was just a better looking Midtown Madness, with an ear shatteringly bad soundtrack. Sure, that might not make it a bad game in your estimation, but did it deserve a 9 out of 10 on Gamespot? Not in my view.

Edited by Mademan

I cant be bothered explaining how wrong this comment is

Well you could at least attempt to, but I felt the game was rubbish, in that it was too generic. It was an arcade racer to a fault, in that the cars had no individual feel, and the gameworld was sold as intricate, and full of oppurtunity for awesome destruction. It was just a better looking Midtown Madness, with an ear shatteringly bad soundtrack. Sure, that might not make it a bad game in your estimation, but did it deserve a 9 out of 10 on Gamespot? Not in my view.

No, comparing it to NFSU2 is wrong.

I quite enjoyed Burnout 2 and a half years ago when it came out, it lost its shine fairly quickly, but back then it was fairly fresh.

Assassin's Creed anyone?

Heard NFS Shift was good too

BF: Bad Company would be good as well