bladerx

Building First Extreme Gaming Rig

Don't forget guys that later he wants to hook up a TV to it.

Point being? 1920x1080 OMG HARDCORE REZ

Hey guys thanks for all the opinions and I think I almost have it all sorted out - last thing Im not too sure on is the mobo, heres my idea so far:

Pioneer bdr-205 blu-ray writer

Saphire HD 5970 2gb

Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima xt liquid cooling

windows 7 pro 64 bit

MSI 890fxa-gd70 (not too sure on this but looks pretty good to me)

corsair dominator gt cmg4gx3m2a2000c8 4gb

OCZ 60gb vertex 2 ssd

amd phenom II x6 1090t

enermax revolution85 1250w

thermaltake xaser vi aluminium (I dont care what anyone thinks i love this case)

acer 23.6inch 120hz screen (24" is the biggest that can fit in my desk - any bigger and il put it on the wall as my tv - which il get a tv for)

Ive done lots of thinking over this and basically the only thing that I think I might change is the mobo... finaly opinions?

but... thermaltake... bad?

seriously get another case. I'd recommend the Corsair 800D, but that could just be because I reckon it's awesome. trust me that's what I thought about my current case (and i hate it) but really you don't know about the case until you build in it. also why the liquid cooling kit? for around the same price you could get a better one, and putting it together is really quite similar.

^^ ahh K got it. 480's as part of a W/C loop would be pretty uber :)

Even with a 27" screen tho, the 2GB 5870's just don't give that much of a performance benefit - both Toms and Anandtech basically said 'only useful for Eyefinity 6' otherwise the performance improvement is tiny.

Nesquick claims that his 5850 runs out of vram powering a high res monitor, which wouldn't surprise me with some games.

Hey guys thanks for all the opinions and I think I almost have it all sorted out - last thing Im not too sure on is the mobo, heres my idea so far:

Pioneer bdr-205 blu-ray writer

Saphire HD 5970 2gb

Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima xt liquid cooling

windows 7 pro 64 bit

MSI 890fxa-gd70 (not too sure on this but looks pretty good to me)

corsair dominator gt cmg4gx3m2a2000c8 4gb

OCZ 60gb vertex 2 ssd

amd phenom II x6 1090t

enermax revolution85 1250w

thermaltake xaser vi aluminium (I dont care what anyone thinks i love this case)

acer 23.6inch 120hz screen (24" is the biggest that can fit in my desk - any bigger and il put it on the wall as my tv - which il get a tv for)

Ive done lots of thinking over this and basically the only thing that I think I might change is the mobo... finaly opinions?

I applaud you for listening to reason and downscaling a bit but it looks like you got ideas from everyone and mixed them all together hoping to create something awesome but you need to tweak the list a bit ie: do the following

Pioneer bdr-205 blu-ray writer this is fine

Saphire HD 5970 2gb this is fine

Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima xt liquid cooling total waste of money IMO unless your skilled enough to put a waterblock on your video card and even then your starting to push the capabilities of that small 240mm radiator in the kit, look into a Corsair H50 for the cpu cooler.

windows 7 pro 64 bit this is fine

MSI 890fxa-gd70 (not too sure on this but looks pretty good to me) this should be ok, I have never had to send anything back to MSI that is dead so can't comment on that or their reliability

corsair dominator gt cmg4gx3m2a2000c8 4gb this is fine, bit overkill but still fine

OCZ 60gb vertex 2 ssd might be a bit small but otherwise fine

amd phenom II x6 1090t this is fine, intel i7's are better for games just so you know though

enermax revolution85 1250w this is total overkill the most you would need is a Corsair HX750 unless you plan on adding another 5890 later on

thermaltake xaser vi aluminium (I dont care what anyone thinks i love this case) case is ok but bad for watercooling setups, you may have to mod it to fit any sort of decent radiatior, if you want watercooling I would advise the corsair 700D or 800D as its designed for that

acer 23.6inch 120hz screen (24" is the biggest that can fit in my desk - any bigger and il put it on the wall as my tv - which il get a tv for) this is fine

Even with a 27" screen tho, the 2GB 5870's just don't give that much of a performance benefit - both Toms and Anandtech basically said 'only useful for Eyefinity 6' otherwise the performance improvement is tiny.

Nesquick claims that his 5850 runs out of vram powering a high res monitor, which wouldn't surprise me with some games.

anything with 1gb of vram would be the same though, probably doesn't help it being a fairly slow card when its on its own, like I told you the other day I can't really run full details at native res of 2560x1440 without some areas dropping below what I would class as playable frames per second. Edited by nesquick

Read what Nes wrote carefully, or else just start again. As noted above you've built a Frankenmachine out of everyone's suggestions (very much not your fault - rather it's ours for discussing several build options simultaneously and overcomplicating things for you). However it just doesn't match - the power supply is too big, the watercooling is pointless (just use good air cooling or the slightly inferior H50, seriously) the RAM is overkill, the SSD is too small and the X6 is a silly choice unless you don't plan on upgrading for ages.

anything with 1gb of vram would be the same though, probably doesn't help it being a fairly slow card when its on its own, like I told you the other day I can't really run full details at native res of 2560x1440 without some areas dropping below what I would class as playable frames per second.

The problem isn't the vram, it's the drivers; they just aren't optimised for anything bigger than 1920x1200. To overcome this you need raw power - analysis has proven 2GB vram doesn't help things.

Edited by philo-sofa

No you moron. He might not want such an expensive monitor that will be made redundant when he gets a big LCD TV.

So the scaling down is a good idea because the money saved can go into buying one.

Seriously Mudg3, you should stop and think before you go on the attack

^^ fair point sceptrecore, but in all fairness, a TV pretty much always (well... always) is a poor replacement for an actual monitor and perhaps that's what mudg3 (obtusely) is referring to?

With the point of the tv, it will be an extra later on, not a replacement for the monitor - only for watching movies on and such, not for me to be in bed and use the computer permanantly, so for gaming I will use my monitor (this is the main reason for better monitor). As for the comments on the overkill of the ram + PSU + GPU I am buying this all now so I will not have to upgrade for a while, I am planning on adding another 5970 in the future which is a main reason i didnt go for 5870s. As for choice on the case, I am going to stick with the thermaltake - call me stupid but I love the looks of it and I hate black boxes with windows on the side. It has all the space I will ever need, lots of room for air cooling, and its all simple tool-free and cable management (by the way I am getting the aluminium not the black). As for HDD I am getting the smaller size temporarily until I can get a velociraptor 600gb about two weeks after I build and after that the SSD will be for OS and main programs only. Thank you for the opinions on the liquid cooling and I will look further into this, I am not saying no to making the whole setup - but I have very little knowledge of this and would need lots of guidance as to which pieces to get. As for the AMD processor I plan on overclocking it to about 4ghz and its not a purely gaming machine, as I said at the beginning I am going into the gaming industry, so I will be programming and most likely video encoding as well. Thank you once again for all the input.

Edited by bladerx

Thank you for the opinions on the liquid cooling and I will look further into this, I am not saying no to making the whole setup - but I have very little knowledge of this and would need lots of guidance as to which pieces to get.

If your in anyway unsure about how to put a watercooling setup together I would advise strongly against it, I have considered it many times for each system I have built for myself of which I have lost count of how many that is, like I said you can have watercooling with the Corsair H50 kit, its no harder to fit than your standard aftermarket heatsink and its very quiet plus theres no tubes to fill/clean, like I said that case is not designed for watercooling and would require you to cut a fair amount of it up to fit internally or you may be able to mount a 320mm radiator outside using a swiftech radbox but it just seems like alot of effort unless you plan on watercooling more than just the cpu. which brings me to another point anyone with a waterloop will tell you what a pain in the butt it is if you want to add another block for say a video card to the loop, so if you want your HD5970's cooled by water then you would want to buy both at once and fit them otherwise your looking at a fairly big job just to add one block to the loop. my advice would be go and read through as many watercooling setup logs on like OCAU, extremesystems ect to get a feel for whats involved.

yep start with air then research water parts if you just jump in with a kit you may hate it and swap back to air anyway

i love watercooling and wont be going back to air any time soon

No you moron. He might not want such an expensive monitor that will be made redundant when he gets a big LCD TV.

So the scaling down is a good idea because the money saved can go into buying one.

Seriously Mudg3, you should stop and think before you go on the attack

Hey man no need to go on the personal bandwagon.

What I was referring to was clearly noted in philo-sofa's post.

As for HDD I am getting the smaller size temporarily until I can get a velociraptor 600gb about two weeks after I build and after that the SSD will be for OS and main programs only.

Velociraptors are a poor choice these days. 1TB and 1.5TB regular HDDs are VERY close in speed, and lightyears ahead in capacity.

You can probably get three 1TB HDDs, put them in RAID-0, and come out with several times the storage, more speed, and still have some change.

Still worth watercooling just a CPU, after using a TRUE120 for so many years and then getting water, I don't wanna go back.

You'd be better off spending 2 grand now, like Nesquick says, then saving the other 2 grand for upgrades over the next few years. It's always tempting to want the "best of the best", but with PC's I've found that it just isn't worth it. That Awesome PC you just bought will be sub-awesome in 6 months.

Ultra-new components are usually an ultra waste of money too. PC's do not hold their value, or their performance like a Lamborghini.

As for HDD I am getting the smaller size temporarily until I can get a velociraptor 600gb about two weeks after I build and after that the SSD will be for OS and main programs only.

Velociraptors are a poor choice these days. 1TB and 1.5TB regular HDDs are VERY close in speed, and lightyears ahead in capacity.

You can probably get three 1TB HDDs, put them in RAID-0, and come out with several times the storage, more speed, and still have some change.

Velociraptors are a complete and utter waste of money. The giant platter density on the 1.5TB+ harddrives easily makes the large terabyte class drives competitive with the Velociraptor in transfer speeds. As for seek times, SSD's make the Velociraptor look like a 1960's magnetic tape drive. Stay clear of these overpriced beasts; they may have made sense 5 years ago for enthusiasts, but not in today's market of TB drives and affordable SSD's -- especially given the price premiums on these Velociraptors.

You'd be better off spending 2 grand now, like Nesquick says, then saving the other 2 grand for upgrades over the next few years. It's always tempting to want the "best of the best", but with PC's I've found that it just isn't worth it. That Awesome PC you just bought will be sub-awesome in 6 months.

Ultra-new components are usually an ultra waste of money too. PC's do not hold their value, or their performance like a Lamborghini.

Thats not entirely true say for instance you bought a machine back in september last year based on an i7 920, 2 5870's and a high end SSD, today it would still be close to king of the hill today 8-9months later with the exception of the i7 975X which is a waste of money anyway.

Yeah........ I'm sure.

SC A monitor will never be made redundant by a TV :P

Have you gamed on an HD TV?

It's awesome.

Thats not entirely true say for instance you bought a machine back in september last year based on an i7 920, 2 5870's and a high end SSD, today it would still be close to king of the hill today 8-9months later with the exception of the i7 975X which is a waste of money anyway.

Similar to what I got, 2 5850s 9 months ago and an i7 930 6 months ago.

Still one of the best computers on these forums and plays everything maxxed out at high res.

It used to be that a few years ago buying top end kit was expensive and ultimately pointless because of the price and the fact that new stuff was always on the horizon.

But believe it or not, Nehalem has nearly been out for 2 years, early adopters may have paid a slight premium for it, but I bet you they're laughing at all the Core 2 users who were hesitant to upgrade :)

the 58xx cards have been out near 12 months and while Fermi beats them, the early adopters don't give a fuck because they got a good 6-7 months of being at the top end, now they're 2nd or 3rd, but who gives a crap.

So Okay, you don't need to be cutting edge, but constantly buying mid end parts and constantly spending money is very smart. 2 years ago you could pick up a 4870 for $400, at the time it ran everything maxxed, now you can pick them up for around $100, fairly cheap really, put 2 together and you have cards that can beat a 5870 and play anything at good frames at 1080p. Thats with tech thats 2 years old.

Its the same with people who own core 2 CPUs, they still play everything quite well. I'd stil be using my Q9550 if I didn't need to replace my girlfriends CPU/Mobo/Ram (>.>)

TL;DR Over the past few years buying top end tech has been the right thing to do as the parts are still good enough for most of todays standards.

Yeah........ I'm sure.

It's awesome.

Yeah, for gaming. I quite enjoy hooking my pc up to my LCD tele, but for everything else, a monitor is much better.

Yeah........ I'm sure.

It's awesome.

Yeah, for gaming. I quite enjoy hooking my pc up to my LCD tele, but for everything else, a monitor is much better.

Wait a minute. How could it be better for gaming... and not anything else. Using a TV is just plain awesome. If I had lots to spend on my computer, an LED TV mounted on the wall in front of my desk would be the shit. Movies, Games... general browsing and net surfing.... all from my bed.

because the pixel:size ratio is retarded.

Text doesn't look that great, general web browsing is a pain in the ass and much much better on a monitor.

Maybe just a matter of opinion and personal preference, but until LCD televisions start doing ridiculous resolutions, they wont beat a monitor for picture quality.

Nuke I have gamed on a not even HD telly and it looks pretty sweet. A buddy of mine has a 50 inch LG Plasma @ 1366 x 768 connected to his media PC. What resolutions are you gaming at now?

because the pixel:size ratio is retarded.

Text doesn't look that great, general web browsing is a pain in the ass and much much better on a monitor.

Maybe just a matter of opinion and personal preference, but until LCD televisions start doing ridiculous resolutions, they wont beat a monitor for picture quality.

THIS!