bladerx

Building First Extreme Gaming Rig

because the pixel:size ratio is retarded.

Text doesn't look that great, general web browsing is a pain in the ass and much much better on a monitor.

Maybe just a matter of opinion and personal preference, but until LCD televisions start doing ridiculous resolutions, they wont beat a monitor for picture quality.

pretty much you summed it up right there.

because the pixel:size ratio is retarded.

Text doesn't look that great, general web browsing is a pain in the ass and much much better on a monitor.

Maybe just a matter of opinion and personal preference, but until LCD televisions start doing ridiculous resolutions, they wont beat a monitor for picture quality.

Mmm... nah. Maybe it was a crap telly... or you were too close.

you can't compare computer monitors to televisions though like the old saying apples to oranges and reason you wouldn't use a tv as a monitor is simple it's ergonomics, you would seriously put your eyes under a lot of strain by staring into a tv at such a close distance hence why tv's are built in a certain res, your eyes cannot see jaggies when you're sitting a couple metres away.

anyways on the topic i spent 3k on a machine 11 years ago and to this day its still serving me well, if your want to spend 4k on a rig i say go for it my friend.

Anyway I believe I have decided that I will go for air cooling to start with. For a couple of reasons, firstly I can get it sooner, secondly I will overclock on it as a first time so its a little safer, thirdly I will change over to watercooling when I get my second 5970 - and at that point I will go all out and cool RAM CPU and GPUs. I have heard several different opinions on the air coolers, and I hear that a Noctua is the best? So please opinions on this now would be very helpful.

Nuke I have gamed on a not even HD telly and it looks pretty sweet. A buddy of mine has a 50 inch LG Plasma @ 1366 x 768 connected to his media PC. What resolutions are you gaming at now?

I game at 1920x1200.

I said gaming is fine on a HD/non HD television (for the record, I've gamed on a not so huge 26" LCD at 1366x768 and that looked fine too)

Its when you're reading text and scrolling big web pages etc. that it starts to look blurry.

But as I said, may be a matter of opinion.

If it were me, I'd hook up a big TV and a monitor and just clone them.

I own a Noctua and I love it! But mainly because it is extremely quiet. Noctua make arguably the best fans on the market but apparently their heatsinks are beaten by the True. Mind you it's the best cooler I've ever owned, the performance is great and it comes with two $25-30dollar fans so I think it's great value too.

On the topic of TVs as a screen my media center pc has a Sony Bravia 32" hooked up to it and I wish I was using it as my main monitor. I can read size 10 text from the couch and it's not blurry at all. If you are thinking about a tv as a monitor I can't recommend the Bravias enough. The next pc monitor I buy will probably be one. But as always you should check them out for yourself.

Just been doing a bit of extra reading on 3d and Im a little confused, the only 3d I can find is nvidia - and I have been searching (AMD website is hard to navigate for myself) and they say that the 5970 can do 3d with the right glasses and drivers, but I cant find these. I also need to research this for work so directions to where I can download drivers for ATI graphics cards would be nice, and with which 3d glasses would that be using? Would it still be nvidias glasses but different drivers? Through this I have found ATI FirePro series, is this new or old stuff?

http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation...-resources.aspx

What is this and why have I not heard of this series ever before?

Its not out yet on AMD IIRC, Nvidia 4 series can do their equivelant of eyefinity and 3d at the same time though.

The FirePro is a workstation GPU - stay away unless you're hardcore into 3D work as they cost five times as much as the equivalent Radeon. AS Nes says, 3D isn't out yet for ATI afaik (though promised soon). Nvidia 3D Surround (three monitors + 3D) is there, but requires two GPU's. Thankfully with Nvidia having released their excellent GTX 360 1GB, there's a good reason to go SLI (and TBH you'd need at least that much power to run three monitors in 3D mode with anything like acceptable frames).

The FirePro is a workstation GPU - stay away unless you're hardcore into 3D work as they cost five times as much as the equivalent Radeon. AS Nes says, 3D isn't out yet for ATI afaik (though promised soon). Nvidia 3D Surround (three monitors + 3D) is there, but requires two GPU's. Thankfully with Nvidia having released their excellent GTX 360 1GB, there's a good reason to go SLI (and TBH you'd need at least that much power to run three monitors in 3D mode with anything like acceptable frames).

with the firepro I think you are pretty much paying for the exclusive driver compatibility with all your apps, its the same with quadro though...

oh and I agree with the GTX460 idea 2 in sli would be pretty good but he said he wants a little more grunt.

Edited by nesquick

^^ from what I undestand, 99% of what you'll want to go will be GPU accelerated and compatible with a non-workstation card? I could be wrong there, as I'm hardly an expert on that kind of thing.

And yeah, agreed on with SLi 460's not being really being enough grunt for this build. If they're out in Aussie the evga Superclock+ 470 & 480 look pretty decent - with their high airflow bracket and backplate they knock a good 6 degrees off a stock GTX's temps, even with their higher clocks. They are pretty dear but not a bad option if 3D vision is a must. However I'm thinking it's probably best not to go out on a leg for Nvidia 3D, and instead grab a 5970 or 5870? ATI 3D will be out eventually, but I doubt that it, or Nvidia 3D Vision will really take off anytime soon TBH.

Edited by philo-sofa

OK after looking around on the internet I made a decision, I am going to change my mind from the Thermaltake Xaser VI to the Coolermaster HAF X case. For a couple of reasons:

- I do like the red LED more than the blue on the Xaser (not that it was hard to change it just suits better).

- It has better support for water cooling (thank you for pointing that out on the Xaser).

- It has plenty of airflow and room for anything I need, still a full tower.

- USB 3.0 on the front (as I was saying I want to future proof where possible).

- plenty of extra PCI slots and drive bays.

- I do like the look of it - its a bold ruggid looking thing and it makes me want to mod it up (which i will do).

As for mods on it I have a couple things in mind for it:

- switches on the front (or top) to control lighting under and inside (cold cathodes mainly, perhaps UV as well for when I put in liquid cooling)

- thinking maybe adding a lumin disc somewhere (must colour match though)

- adding carbon fiber to some places (my dad uses it at work)

- maybe a paint job on certain pieces

- maybe a hinge on the side panel

- craaaaazy idea that I wont do but would like to think about is a custom made lava lamp inside

Any other ideas for modding on this case?

Edited by bladerx

Forget the lava lamp make it a plasma lamp!

OK after looking around on the internet I made a decision, I am going to change my mind from the Thermaltake Xaser VI to the Coolermaster HAF X case. For a couple of reasons:

- I do like the red LED more than the blue on the Xaser (not that it was hard to change it just suits better).

- It has better support for water cooling (thank you for pointing that out on the Xaser).

- It has plenty of airflow and room for anything I need, still a full tower.

- USB 3.0 on the front (as I was saying I want to future proof where possible).

- plenty of extra PCI slots and drive bays.

- I do like the look of it - its a bold ruggid looking thing and it makes me want to mod it up (which i will do).

As for mods on it I have a couple things in mind for it:

- switches on the front (or top) to control lighting under and inside (cold cathodes mainly, perhaps UV as well for when I put in liquid cooling)

- thinking maybe adding a lumin disc somewhere (must colour match though)

- adding carbon fiber to some places (my dad uses it at work)

- maybe a paint job on certain pieces

- maybe a hinge on the side panel

- craaaaazy idea that I wont do but would like to think about is a custom made lava lamp inside

Have you got a list of parts in mind for your watercooling?

Not at the moment, but from what everyone has been saying I will do it all myself and not get a kit. As I said it will be a little while longer before I do that, but when I do Il have 2 5970s and do it all at the same time.

yea im planning on getting everything (except the monitor because I can get it cheaper at work) as pccasegear.com, they have nice range and good prices.

have a look at msy if there are any near you. On my build I saved around $150 buying from there. In my opinion, putting up with crappy service and long lines for $150 is worth it. so see what they have and definitely call ahead before you go. If they do have it for cheaper, go check it out.