funky_monkey

New Bike Rider

So I have been thinking about getting a bike for.. heck almost 2 1/2 yrs now. It's something I would like to do but just unsure of a few things. Knowing there are a few bikers over here, I thought I would ask the experts. So far I have been going through my head what exactly I need to get my learners and be a good rider.

Checklist so far is

complete set of protective bike gear. (absolute must). can't skimp on protection I say

Think that every rider out there wants to do as much damage to me as possible so the key is to be alert and always thinking about what i'm doing.

Enroll and complete RTA rider training course

get my L plates

Purchase a bike to ride.

I believe that purchasing the bike should be the last thing.. would this be correct? I already have a full understanding on the roadrules and would be applying for a NSW riders license.

I understand that the power to weight ratio has been changed and bigger bikes are possible, however is it silly for me to say that I would still rather a 250CC which is comfortable instead of going for a 600CC?

If I decide to go through this, I would consider getting this bike. http://www.hyosung.com.au/road-bikes/gt250r-efi/

Can anybody comment about using one?

Thanks for any advice :)

Yes protective gear is a must.

Things to looks for when buying

Stitching on any leathers / Kevlar jeans is sturdy or double stitched.

palms of gloves are thick (reactively people will place their hands down first when falling)

Boots are thick and comfortable (ankle protection is a big plus)

Helmet - tight as the padding will loosen over time. You can see well out of it. Is good quality and Aust standards approved.

NSW requires you to do the RTA courses (their done through companies like http://www.stayupright.com.au/)

they will teach you as if you have never ridden a bike before. (Note - they used to proved helmets and gloves for the course, so you dont need all your protective gear for it)

Once passed the riding course you get a cert that says you can go sit the bike computer test (same as car) then you have your L's

Once you have you L's it's bike shopping time.

you can buy any LAM approved motorbike found here: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/...viceriders.html

since it's power to weight you should be fine on any of those.

The hyosungs are fine. I believe you can get the 600 version of that model as L's approved and once off your P's you can take the restrictior out thus saving you money in the long run and you will already be used to the bike as well.

After 3 - 6 months?? of having your L's you can go to the 2nd riding test for your P's.

Did that help?

I did much research before I brought my Yamaha and I looked at the Hyosung, (and many others lol) but I though the finish was a bit rough and I also wanted as low maintenance a machine as possible. I have had a licence for over 20 years and I got one of the first RE licences, now that I have recently started riding again I did not see the point in going for an unrestricted licence after finding out I could get a 650cc bike on my RE.

So after months of looking I decided on this Yamaha I brought the red one, and I chose this because of price point, the fact that it is direct drive, and has a 2 year unlimited klm warranty.

It's the lowest maintenance bike I could find, and I have had it to Canberra from Ipswich, and in 6 months have done over 12k so I can vouch for the fact it is the best bike in it's class I have ridden. Plus it always turns heads, and people are always coming up to me to talk about it.

The upside of a 650cc is that if you are a big bloke like me it will pull your carcass up hills with no effort, plus being a larger bike size wise it makes it just that bit easier to see compared to a 250cc . And you will also find that you may not bother to get an unrestricted licence (like me), and as a result will keep your bike for far longer.

RRP is $10,999.00 I also insured it with "Insure my ride" who where the cheapest and the best, and also gave me 12 months full replacement.

And yes protective gear is a must as is a good mid priced helmet.

EDIT: Here is a couple of pics I posted when I picked my bike up, and it still looks just as good. Also I have no idea how fast it will go but at 130k it still had plenty to give.

Edited by bowiee

For a learner bike bowiee thats pretty damn nice looking.

this is mine :)

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Wallpaper/Yamaha/...r_White_RHS.jpg

That's quite a bike mate :) I used to ride a quacker 900cc then a honda 750cc back before I bothered to get a licence lol, but I am to old now to feel that "Need for speed" which is why I just loves my new bike ;) Edited by bowiee

For a learner bike bowiee thats pretty damn nice looking.

this is mine :)

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Wallpaper/Yamaha/...r_White_RHS.jpg

That's quite a bike mate :) I used to ride a quacker 900cc then a honda 750cc back before I bothered to get a licence lol, but I am to old now to feel that "Need for speed" which is why I just loves my new bike ;)

Yar she's a pretty sweet bike. Last before yammaha changed the r1's to the cross plane "big bang" crankshafts.

But i've derailed this thread enough :)

@ Funky - Where abouts in NSW are you based?

@ any other NSW riders - has anyone ever organised a atomic ride?

"Can anybody comment about using one?" what do you mean?

he means riding a 250 hyosung.

Think that every rider out there wants to do as much damage to me as possible so the key is to be alert and always thinking about what i'm doing.

Umm....No.

Maybe drivers, but not riders.

@ any other NSW riders - has anyone ever organised a atomic ride?

Matt Ingle and I have talked about it a few times but it's never eventuated. it's definitely something we wanna do though

Sorry maxx.. yes I ment drivers. Sorry about the mistake.

I'm based in Newcastle currently.

Thanks for all the information guys. Has helped.

I wasn't aware you had to do a computer test as well? On the RTA website I can't see anything mentioned about a computer test.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettin...ycle/index.html

I was aware of the rider course which is required though.

Question. Should I have all my gear and also take my gear along to the learners course? Or do they provide everything and should I use their equipment?

If I decide to go through this, I would consider getting this bike. http://www.hyosung.com.au/road-bikes/gt250r-efi/

I love how it's learer legal.

Question. Should I have all my gear and also take my gear along to the learners course? Or do they provide everything and should I use their equipment?

They're not going to provide you with boots, for example. If you've got the gear before you do the course, take it.

For a definitive answer on what gear is supplied, call Stay Upright at Adamstown and ask them. Do it in the morning.

And yeah bowiee, I would prefer a road bike instead of a cruiser :)

Cruisers are road bikes.

For the funnest bike you will ever own, get a Postie Bike.

Is this a serious comment? :P
Do I make any other type of comment?

If so esplain how its the funnest :)

Cheap, reliable, inexpensive to run, inexpensive to register and insure. And just plain fucking fun to ride. Ask any one who's owned one.